4/23-4/24 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, and Streaks - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

4/23-4/24 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, and Streaks

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Best Team in Baseball?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:40 am

Texas Rangers
9
45%
Philadelphia Phillies
11
55%
 
Total votes : 20

Re: 4/23-4/24 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, and Stre

Postby Ender » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:14 pm

Nobody named in this thread comes close to comparing to Greg Maddux without using steroids, so if you are talking our era you still have it wrong.

As for the poll, my guess is the best team in baseball is in the AL East. The Rangers having a bunch of pitchers start the year hot doesn't mean they are one of the best teams and I'm not convinced the Phillies offense has enough to be the best unless Ultey comes back strong.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 7733
Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 4/23-4/24 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, and Stre

Postby jpbusta » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:20 pm

gotta luv the cheap saves.

Fuentes, Capps, Boggs. 3 waiver wired closers combine for 3.1 ip / 3 saves / 5ks / 0 era / .6 whip
:-D
Image
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2988
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: West Lafayette

Re: 4/23-4/24 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, and Stre

Postby mweir145 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:22 pm

thedude wrote:Was Pedro Maritnez not dominating the AL East during the early career of Roy Halladay?

Sure, before Roy Halladay became Roy Halladay he was struggling as a 22-year-old rookie. But if you want to extend his era back to 1999, only RJ overtakes him by a few WAR. So what's your point about Pedro?

Is Tim Lincecum not pitching now?

Hold on, are you trying to imply that Lincecum is a better pitcher than Halladay right now? I would have thought reasonable people were past this nonsense already. :-b


I guess Halladay might be the best pitcher of the era in between, just like Arky Vaughan was the best position player for a very brief period of time at the end of Lou Gehrig's career and the start of Ted Williams' career.

Really reaching for an analogy there, eh? Halladay has been the best pitcher in baseball over the last 10 seasons and it's not even all that close. Was Arky Vaughn even the best position player in any season he ever played? It looks like even in his career year in 1935 Gehrig was actually better: http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... ar01.shtml

I don't think I'll ever understand the need for people to downplay Doc's accomplishments like they haven't happened over the last decade.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: 4/23-4/24 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, and Stre

Postby Tavish » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:02 am

mweir145 wrote:I don't think I'll ever understand the need for people to downplay Doc's accomplishments like they haven't happened over the last decade.

If you want to put the statement just in terms of the last decade I don't think there is too much debate that Halladay has been the best pitcher. Of course that narrows down the the competition quite alot since it specifically covers Halladay's entire career as a starter and there are only a handful of players that have that same timeline. Really his only competition would be players like Santana, Sabathia, and Oswalt. CC is probably the closest of the group but his somewhat slow start gives Halladay a leg up. Santana's early decline takes him out of the discussion but his peak was as good if not better than Halladay's.
Image

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
Posts: 11071
(Past Year: 24)
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 4/23-4/24 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, and Stre

Postby mweir145 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:30 am

Tavish wrote:
mweir145 wrote:I don't think I'll ever understand the need for people to downplay Doc's accomplishments like they haven't happened over the last decade.

If you want to put the statement just in terms of the last decade I don't think there is too much debate that Halladay has been the best pitcher. Of course that narrows down the the competition quite alot since it specifically covers Halladay's entire career as a starter and there are only a handful of players that have that same timeline. Really his only competition would be players like Santana, Sabathia, and Oswalt. CC is probably the closest of the group but his somewhat slow start gives Halladay a leg up. Santana's early decline takes him out of the discussion but his peak was as good if not better than Halladay's.

OK, I'll just say decade if that makes it easier.

And yeah, Santana was on Halladay's level for a couple of years there, but tailed off in 2007. And Sabathia has never really been on Doc's level, outside of that one year that he completely destroyed the NL. Other guys like Felix, Johnson, and Lincecum might surpass Halladay's level at some point over the next few years but it certainly hasn't happened yet.

Just remembered this article of JoPo's that discusses potential HOF pitchers by "era." He groups them by the decades they were born in. Because of that, Pedro (1971) just barely makes it into the 70s:

http://joeposnanski.si.com/2011/02/06/l ... -pitchers/

1971-on

Nobody in yet.

Hall of Fame near-certainties (2): Pedro Martinez, Roy Halladay

Hall of Fame contenders (6): Johan Santana, CC Sabathia, Tim Hudson, Roy Oswalt, Andy Pettitte, Mark Buehrle

Others to watch: Felix Hernandez, Cliff Lee, Zack Greinke, Matt Cain, Tim Lincecum, Adam Wainwright, Jon Lester, Justin Verlander, etc.

Comment: I have been surprised by how often I have found myself in discussions about whether or not Roy Halladay is already a Hall of Famer. The discussions are surprising because he’s pitching great and is signed for three or four more years, and there’s no reason to believe that he’s going to leave the stage any time soon. That said, I still say that if he retired tomorrow, yes, he should be a Hall of Famer. His impressive but somewhat spare 169-86 won-loss record should not obscure that he has been the best or second best pitcher in his league six or seven times. He has been a force of nature for a long time now. Maybe Dizzy Dean should be in the Hall of Fame and maybe he shouldn’t be, but what Dizzy Dean did for five years, Halladay has done for 10.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: 4/23-4/24 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, and Stre

Postby jfg » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:59 am

Surprising that most here aren't willing to give pitchers of this era the respect deserved. Speaking of just modern eras who always are disrespected when it comes to pitching, Halladay isn't Clemens, Maddux, Pedro or RJ but he's a close fifth... and I don't think it's ridiculous to debate if he's as good or better than those guys. You can't fault a pitcher for the way they are handled now and the Hall is going to have to take that into account or else you aren't going to see any pitchers in the Hall ever again after the 90's guys are inducted. Either way, you can't judge a player on the things he wasn't given the chance to do, you can only judge him on what they did... and when Halladay has been given the chance he's been the best pitcher in the game or close to it consistently.
Image
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6078
(Past Year: 82)
Joined: 4 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 4/23-4/24 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, and Stre

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:30 am

mweir145 wrote:
thedude wrote:Was Pedro Maritnez not dominating the AL East during the early career of Roy Halladay?

Sure, before Roy Halladay became Roy Halladay he was struggling as a 22-year-old rookie. But if you want to extend his era back to 1999, only RJ overtakes him by a few WAR. So what's your point about Pedro?

Is Tim Lincecum not pitching now?

Hold on, are you trying to imply that Lincecum is a better pitcher than Halladay right now? I would have thought reasonable people were past this nonsense already. :-b


I guess Halladay might be the best pitcher of the era in between, just like Arky Vaughan was the best position player for a very brief period of time at the end of Lou Gehrig's career and the start of Ted Williams' career.

Really reaching for an analogy there, eh? Halladay has been the best pitcher in baseball over the last 10 seasons and it's not even all that close. Was Arky Vaughn even the best position player in any season he ever played? It looks like even in his career year in 1935 Gehrig was actually better: http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... ar01.shtml

I don't think I'll ever understand the need for people to downplay Doc's accomplishments like they haven't happened over the last decade.


Halladay is no Randy Johnson
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 11363
(Past Year: 25)
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

Re: 4/23-4/24 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, and Stre

Postby bigken117 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:12 pm

Pedro

IBTL :-D
Image

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 12879
(Past Year: 248)
Joined: 15 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: posed in an awkward stance

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 0:33 hours
(and 96 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact