4/23-4/24 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, and Streaks - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

4/23-4/24 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, and Streaks

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Best Team in Baseball?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:40 am

Texas Rangers
45%
Philadelphia Phillies
55%

Total votes : 20

Re: 4/23-4/24 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, and Stre

Postby thedude » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:23 pm

mweir145 wrote:
CBMGreatOne wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Why does Manuel feel the need to throw him out there for 130 pitches every second outing?

Because his rubber arm is legendary. I tend to agree though. They could have let someone else handle the 9th considering he was already up around 115 through 8. If there's one pitcher in the game who you wouldn't worry about 130 pitches, though, it's Halladay.

Halladay is to the CG in the 21st century as Babe Ruth was to the HR in the 20's and 30's.

Everybody has their limit, though. Even the best pitcher of our era. No reason to push him in an April game, imo.

True, Pedro Martinez did have a limit, it was approximately 100 pitches. Though, I do not see why you are bringing Pedro up though, Halladay is built differently than the best pitcher of our generation.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:56 pm

thedude wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
CBMGreatOne wrote:
Because his rubber arm is legendary. I tend to agree though. They could have let someone else handle the 9th considering he was already up around 115 through 8. If there's one pitcher in the game who you wouldn't worry about 130 pitches, though, it's Halladay.

Halladay is to the CG in the 21st century as Babe Ruth was to the HR in the 20's and 30's.

Everybody has their limit, though. Even the best pitcher of our era. No reason to push him in an April game, imo.

True, Pedro Martinez did have a limit, it was approximately 100 pitches. Though, I do not see why you are bringing Pedro up though, Halladay is built differently than the best pitcher of our generation.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?p ... 2001&ind=0

You might be living in the past with Pedro a bit there, his last good year was in 2005.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Tavish » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:06 pm

mweir145 wrote:
thedude wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Everybody has their limit, though. Even the best pitcher of our era. No reason to push him in an April game, imo.

You might be living in the past with Pedro a bit there, his last good year was in 2005.

Strangely enough, that was the last full season of Roger Clemens ie the best pitcher of our generation.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby boredguy » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:14 pm

Man it would be nice if Han-Ram would do something besides put up 0's across the board.
boredguy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thedude » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:05 pm

mweir145 wrote:
thedude wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Everybody has their limit, though. Even the best pitcher of our era. No reason to push him in an April game, imo.

generation--Noun
1. All of the people born and living at about the same time, regarded collectively: "one of his generation's finest songwriters".
2. The average period, generally considered to be about thirty years, during which children grow up and have children of their own.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:12 pm

Tavish wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
thedude wrote:

Strangely enough, that was the last full season of Roger Clemens ie the best pitcher of our generation.

Excuse me, I believe you have spelled Randy Johnson incorrectly :-o
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 20)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:15 pm

Molina. :-P
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)

Postby mweir145 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:38 pm

thedude wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
thedude wrote:

generation--Noun
1. All of the people born and living at about the same time, regarded collectively: "one of his generation's finest songwriters".
2. The average period, generally considered to be about thirty years, during which children grow up and have children of their own.

I wrote era. You wrote generation.

And in my era (or Halladay's, if you prefer), there has been nobody better.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:41 pm

Tavish wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
thedude wrote:

Clemens is the best pitcher of all time, but nearly all of his accomplishments came before Halladay started pitching.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby thedude » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:02 pm

mweir145 wrote:
thedude wrote:
mweir145 wrote:http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?p ... 2001&ind=0

generation--Noun

I wrote era. You wrote generation.

And in my era (or Halladay's, if you prefer), there has been nobody better.

Was Pedro Maritnez not dominating the AL East during the early career of Roy Halladay? Is Tim Lincecum not pitching now?

I guess Halladay might be the best pitcher of the era in between, just like Arky Vaughan was the best position player for a very brief period of time at the end of Lou Gehrig's career and the start of Ted Williams' career.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers