Cano for Phillips Trade, Need Input WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Cano for Phillips Trade, Need Input WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Cano for Phillips Trade, Need Input WHIR

Postby j24jags » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:41 am

StayCalmandCarryOn wrote:
Xylo wrote:I don't think I'd do this deal. If it were me, I'd hold onto Phillips and, somewhere down the line, upgrade my OF with my pitching. Your pitching staff could be great, but the only real sure thing you have in your rotation is Cain. Latos, Scherzer, Lohse, Garza, and Santana all have little question marks of their own. Cano is an awesome 2B, but I think Phillips is more than serviceable. Garza has been a strikeout machine since crossing over to the NL and is coming off a huge game earlier in the week. I like Scherzer and Latos and that's why I'd keep them. You don't know what you're getting with Lohse and Zimmermann this year and I'm not so sure the upgrade at second is worth the hassle if a few of your pitchers don't really pan out this year.

Another option might be considering SS included if you don't believe in Cabrera. He likely won't produce like he has so far. Does the team have any depth there?

He doesn't have much depth per-say, but he has Andrus there. That could be another route for me to try. Instead of asking for a lower level SP, do you think Cano + Andrus for Phillips + Cabrera + one of my SPs would be a better deal?
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby j24jags » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:43 am

baseballfan89 wrote:Cano for Phillips + Latos/Scherzer/Garza

Definitely go through with this trade... toss up between the three heres my breakdown which you might already know about:

- all three are strikeout machines, all three have a shot at 200Ks
- Scherzer is hot, and has matched up against the top teams already and come out with a win. I would certainly consider keeping him. His team is able to provide him runs which is huge
- I feel as if it should be almost a coin flip between Garza and Latos. Garza i agree is overvalued by a mile, but Latos is back and despite pitching pretty decent he hasn't gotten the games to go his way. It's a really tough choice even for me as I write this, both are good pitchers, but i think its going to come down to you if you want to give up Latos or Garza

What i like to do is talk with the other manager offer him for e.g. Phillips + Latos for Cano + a decent SP in return and try and sell Latos for someone he's not. Like you said, manager might be in panic mode soon so you are saying that you are offering top tier pitcher (which Latos is despite the nay sayers) and would like some kind of pitching back in return!

Help with mine?
viewtopic.php?t=428279

I appreciate the input. My only issue with trading Latos is that his value is just about as low as it has been in a long time. Coming into the year, a lot of people had him valued as a top-20 SP (my view hasn't changed), but many people would not be willing to pay for a top-20 SP after his DL stint and string of mediocre starts. I don't like selling low if I don't have to.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby StayCalmandCarryOn » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:46 am

j24jags wrote:
StayCalmandCarryOn wrote:
Xylo wrote:I don't think I'd do this deal. If it were me, I'd hold onto Phillips and, somewhere down the line, upgrade my OF with my pitching. Your pitching staff could be great, but the only real sure thing you have in your rotation is Cain. Latos, Scherzer, Lohse, Garza, and Santana all have little question marks of their own. Cano is an awesome 2B, but I think Phillips is more than serviceable. Garza has been a strikeout machine since crossing over to the NL and is coming off a huge game earlier in the week. I like Scherzer and Latos and that's why I'd keep them. You don't know what you're getting with Lohse and Zimmermann this year and I'm not so sure the upgrade at second is worth the hassle if a few of your pitchers don't really pan out this year.

Another option might be considering SS included if you don't believe in Cabrera. He likely won't produce like he has so far. Does the team have any depth there?

He doesn't have much depth per-say, but he has Andrus there. That could be another route for me to try. Instead of asking for a lower level SP, do you think Cano + Andrus for Phillips + Cabrera + one of my SPs would be a better deal?

I would def. go this route. I like Andrus much more than Cabrera.
StayCalmandCarryOn
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby joselnceldran » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:21 am

I honestly prefer a Philips/Scherzer offer for Cano... Latos is good, his value is really low now so you dont get as much in return for him. Im not saying Max isnt great either but atleast he's playing better than Latos and you can get more value in return for him...

Help: viewtopic.php?t=428290
joselnceldran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Whosyomamma » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:45 pm

I agree with StayCalmandCarryOn's post 2 spots above this one! Thanks for the help on mine...

Cano + Andrus for Phillips,Cabrera and either Latos or Garza...Keep Scherzer.
Whosyomamma
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:00 pm

Thanks for the help with mine!

I'd be fine with dealing either Latos or Scherzer along with Phillips for Cano. Cano is a first round stud... the only thing he won't give you is steals. I'd deal Scherzer before Latos, but I think both pitchers are fairly similar in value so I wouldn't consider it a deal breaker if the other owner preferred Latos in the deal instead.

The other deal where you'd get Andrus seems decent as well, though I think the first deal works out better for you since you only have to deal one of your SPs. Andrus is an upgrade over Cabrera, but I still can't say I'm a huge fan of his. He should give you runs and steals, but not a whole lot else. Despite this, if that ends up being the deal on the table I'd be fine with making it... Cano is the prize here.
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Zain1two3 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:31 pm

Latos has had a shoulder injury which has slowed him down but when he's on form, you surely can't compare Max to Mat when healthy. But the facts are; Latos increased his IP from 50.2 to 184.2 and if you have ever read any articles by Tom Verducci (he coined the Verducci effect which we all talk about now) you will know that he is an injury risk. I would trade Latos ASAP for whatever value you can get and if you cna get Cano, then pull the trigger asap.

FYI

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... index.html
Zain1two3
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Postby 910BronxBomber » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:21 pm

I would certainly do this trade. You're getting arguably the best 2b back in fantasy. I think someone else mentioned the run support, and I think that's the key thing you use to decide as to which pitcher you keep. I say this because run support is really the only difference, as they all have some sort of ?, are strikeout machines, and are projected to be around the same value. Ultimately, I say Latos + BPhil for Cano.

Thanks for the help on mine!

Edit - just saw the elvis rout, and that's the way I would try to go, without a doubt.
910BronxBomber
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Nexflame » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:39 am

Cano + Andrus for Phillips,Cabrera and Latos. And run away smiling.
Nexflame
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Previous

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions