Getting tired of my starts not playing for PPD games... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Getting tired of my starts not playing for PPD games...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Getting tired of my starts not playing for PPD games...

Postby Bolthead04 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:00 pm

I sat Quentin tonight who has already belted 2 homers and 2 of my 4 OF aren't playing because of rain, and the third is in a delay that looks to be a cancellation...

Is there a webpage that does weather forecasts for every MLB game? I've looked, but haven't found one, and in a format where every day counts, it would be very useful. I understand I *could* look up every one individually, but I don't have a ton of time during the day before the games. (I have at most 10 minutes, and I don't even always use it for Fantasy....)
First Year-First Team

Last Week: 9-2-0
Overall: 141-80-10 (16-5 by the week)
Bolthead04 Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Getting tired of my starts not playing for PPD games...

Postby cs3 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:25 am

this is why i really wish Yahoo would come up with a system that allows players to be moved when a game is cancelled.
Fantasy Genie has stated why they dont do do it:
Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:
Syfo-Dyas wrote:
Put a red note next to game status if you recieve the unofficial news that the game might be postponed. So if a game is postponed you warned everybody, and if it isnt, you didnt say that it will be.
Than everyone has the choice to decide if wants to take the risk or not.

Theres no reply to this, so I guess that this is beyond the ability of the programmers of Yahoo, or it is illogical to notify players.
Well, never mind, it was just an idea.

I didn't respond because this issue has already been asked and answered many times over. Your proposed solution does nothing for the guy who has a game postponed where we *didn't* get news about a postponement. So it still ends up potentially putting people in an unbalanced situation where some suffered from a postponement (because their guy was in a postponed game they didn't know about) and others didn't (because their guy was in a postponed game that they did know about and they decided to "take the risk"). And as I've mentioned here many times, we err on the side of rules that make sure all owners are on equal footing.

however if they didn't lock rosters until the first pitch was actually thrown, rather than 5 minutes before the game was scheduled to start, then this wouldnt be such a huge problem. Of course I know that it would require somebody monitoring all the games, and im sure they wouldnt want to pay anyone to do that, so i dont see them changing it anytime soon.

It is frustrating when you lose an entire days worth of AB's because of PPD, esp in H2H, where the loss of so many at bats can cost you an entire week.
Genie states that Yahoo wants to "err on the side that makes sure all owners are on equal footing", but the current system really does not create equality when it comes to rainouts. For example, in 2 of my leagues I carry more SP than any other team, and as a result have a short bench for hitters. I know that on mon/thur ill generally have fewer hitters playing but thats fine with me because i choose to get more starts/week out of my pitching staff.
however when a game is cancelled the guy with more bats/fewer pitchers can just sub in his bench hitters, and then get double the AB's when a double header is scheduled the next day. Pitcher heavy teams can't exploit this loophole, because pitchers obviously never start twice in the same day. So really not equal for all teams in that situation, and shouldnt be part of the equation when deciding on the number of pitchers/hitters you carry
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:37 am

id pay a lot of money for a software to automatically place my PPD guys on the bench before the gametime so they dont get locked out... seeing bunch of guys active on your bench while your starters are PPD'd pisses me off.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby wrveres » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:38 am

Bolthead04 wrote:I sat Quentin tonight who has already belted 2 homers and 2 of my 4 OF aren't playing because of rain, and the third is in a delay that looks to be a cancellation...

Is there a webpage that does weather forecasts for every MLB game? I've looked, but haven't found one, and in a format where every day counts, it would be very useful. I understand I *could* look up every one individually, but I don't have a ton of time during the day before the games. (I have at most 10 minutes, and I don't even always use it for Fantasy....)

i post the weather link everyday in the daily thread, and there is a list of weather on the left hand side of every single page here in the forums

<-------------------------------------------
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 754)

Postby Bloody Sox » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:39 am

If you do the Twitter thing, sign up for a feed that posts news updates like http://twitter.com/#!/Rotoworld_BB. You obviously get more news than just rainouts, but that can only help, not hurt, and I'm sure there are apps that let you filter tweets by keyword (like "rainout") to get only those posts.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:52 am

I'm not quite sure why Yahoo/ESPN/CBS etc don't add the functionality to allow you to bench your PPD players...from a programming standpoint it wouldn't be that hard to do, and would make tons of fantasy sports players very happy.
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Bolthead04 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:40 pm

BALCO All-Stars wrote:I'm not quite sure why Yahoo/ESPN/CBS etc don't add the functionality to allow you to bench your PPD players...from a programming standpoint it wouldn't be that hard to do, and would make tons of fantasy sports players very happy.

Given that it IS that easy, there is no hope really. If they want to be a pain, I guess they will continue to be a pain. (As one said, why pay someone to do it?)

wrveres wrote:
Bolthead04 wrote:I sat Quentin tonight who has already belted 2 homers and 2 of my 4 OF aren't playing because of rain, and the third is in a delay that looks to be a cancellation...

i post the weather link everyday in the daily thread, and there is a list of weather on the left hand side of every single page here in the forums

<-------------------------------------------

If I could tell what those pictures actually meant, that would help. My eyes aren't the greatest. 8-o Thank ya though! :-b
First Year-First Team

Last Week: 9-2-0
Overall: 141-80-10 (16-5 by the week)
Bolthead04 Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers