Shelby Miller vs Jacob Turner? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Shelby Miller vs Jacob Turner?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Shelby Miller vs Jacob Turner?

Postby rickyjay73 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:22 pm

Which of the two is more highly ranked?
Which MLB starters are they comparable to?
Are both seen as perennial staff ace's in their future?
rickyjay73
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Shelby Miller vs Jacob Turner?

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:50 pm

Prospect Smackdown: Shelby Miller vs. Jacob Turner

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2010/9/1 ... lby-miller
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 143)

Postby rickyjay73 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:52 pm

Great link. Thanks! Both are off to great starts this April.
rickyjay73
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Montana168 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:52 pm

Anyone think we could be seeing Jacob Turner in July? Here are his numbers this year in AA:

86.2 IP 2-2 W/L 23 bb/72 k 3.01 ERA 1.07 WHIP

April ERA: 2.70
May ERA: 2.67
June ERA: 3.76

I bring up the question because Phil Coke has been removed from the rotation and placed back in the bullpen, with Charlie Furbush taking his spot in the rotation. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/06/t ... reyes.html

However, as the article points out, the Tigers are shopping for rotation help. I do not believe Furbush will be successful in the rotation, (has solid overall numbers for the year, admittedly a small sample, however; he started hot [0.00 era in may] but has struggled in june [4+ era, 1.6+ whip]) and while Andrew Oliver got off to an outstanding start to the year in AAA, he struggled in 2 spot starts for the Tigers and has subsequently been lit up afterwards in AAA (8.63 ERA in 5 AAA june starts).

In essence, I think Jacob Turner is the next plausible option for the Tigers if Furbush does not succeed in the rotation. Anyone else have any thoughts/links on the situation? I've been stashing Turner in a dynasty league, and have thought about dropping him to use his roster spot for a major league pitcher, but with the Tigers abandoning the Coke experiment, I think Turner's promotion could come sooner than later.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RedHopeful » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:20 pm

^I like your thought process as the Tigers haven't been shy to bring up a youngster when needed.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby bigken117 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:31 pm

Turner would likely be up first but Shelby Miller is the second best pitching prospect in the minors behind Moore.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby Montana168 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:52 pm

Montana168 wrote:Anyone think we could be seeing Jacob Turner in July? Here are his numbers this year in AA:

86.2 IP 2-2 W/L 23 bb/72 k 3.01 ERA 1.07 WHIP

April ERA: 2.70
May ERA: 2.67
June ERA: 3.76

I bring up the question because Phil Coke has been removed from the rotation and placed back in the bullpen, with Charlie Furbush taking his spot in the rotation. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/06/t ... reyes.html

However, as the article points out, the Tigers are shopping for rotation help. I do not believe Furbush will be successful in the rotation, (has solid overall numbers for the year, admittedly a small sample, however; he started hot [0.00 era in may] but has struggled in june [4+ era, 1.6+ whip]) and while Andrew Oliver got off to an outstanding start to the year in AAA, he struggled in 2 spot starts for the Tigers and has subsequently been lit up afterwards in AAA (8.63 ERA in 5 AAA june starts).

In essence, I think Jacob Turner is the next plausible option for the Tigers if Furbush does not succeed in the rotation. Anyone else have any thoughts/links on the situation? I've been stashing Turner in a dynasty league, and have thought about dropping him to use his roster spot for a major league pitcher, but with the Tigers abandoning the Coke experiment, I think Turner's promotion could come sooner than later.

Well that didn't take long. After 2 starts, Furbush optioned to AAA after blowing up for 9 runs in his 2nd start. The corresponding move was a recall of 3b Danny Worth, so no word yet on who will be Detroit's #5. As mentioned in the above article, the Tigers will be shopping for another SP, but I would not be surprised at all to see them give Turner 2 starts. And if he blows up like Oliver and Furbush have, they will make a move and send Turner back to the minors.

However, Turner's last start was not impressive. (7 IP 7 ER) Not sure if that will sway the Tigers decision of calling him up or not, as I'm sure they don't want to call up a rookie after a rough outing. However, I would not at all be surprised to see Turner named the #5 starter coming out of the all star break. For those of you in dynasty leagues, I would be keeping a very close eye on this situation for the rest of the month.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Minor League & College Baseball