When can you run to 1st base after a wild pitch? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Frequently Asked Fantasy Questions

When can you run to 1st base after a wild pitch?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

When can you run to 1st base after a wild pitch?

Postby Cadd » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:12 pm

Sometimes I see a wild pitch and I see 3rd base run to home for a score but I don't see the batter doing anything. Then sometimes I see the batter start running for 1st base after a wild pitch. Basically, when are you allowed to run without getting walked or getting a hit?
Cadd
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: When can you run to 1st base after a wild pitch?

Postby wrveres » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:00 pm

Cadd wrote:Sometimes I see a wild pitch and I see 3rd base run to home for a score but I don't see the batter doing anything. Then sometimes I see the batter start running for 1st base after a wild pitch. Basically, when are you allowed to run without getting walked or getting a hit?
on strike three.
if the batter strikeouts, but the ball gets by the catcher, the batter is aloud to run to first. the catcher needs to recover the ball and through it to first for a force play. Because of this, there a few instances where a pitcher has actually struck out four batters in an inning.

hope that helps
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby Lofunzo » Tue May 10, 2011 9:47 pm

wrveres wrote:
Cadd wrote:Sometimes I see a wild pitch and I see 3rd base run to home for a score but I don't see the batter doing anything. Then sometimes I see the batter start running for 1st base after a wild pitch. Basically, when are you allowed to run without getting walked or getting a hit?
on strike three.
if the batter strikeouts, but the ball gets by the catcher, the batter is aloud to run to first. the catcher needs to recover the ball and through it to first for a force play. Because of this, there a few instances where a pitcher has actually struck out four batters in an inning.

hope that helps

To expand a little, if someone was already on first base or there were already 2 outs before the pitch was thrown, the batter cannot run to first.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby wrveres » Tue May 10, 2011 10:15 pm

Lofunzo wrote:To expand a little, if someone was already on first base or there were already 2 outs before the pitch was thrown, the batter cannot run to first.
missed :,-(
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby daweasle » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:27 am

wow this thread was getting ugly.

If there are two outs, and two strikes, and the pitcher throws a wild pitch - first base is not considered occupied - (because everyone is running with two outs - so the batter can advance to first on a wild pitch if there are two outs. doesn't matter if there's someone on first or not.

so - it's important to also note - if there were no one on 1st base - and any number of outs - the batter can always run to first on a dropped third strike. doesn't have to be a passed bal but any dropped third strike.
daweasle
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)

Postby bigmck » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:40 pm

Finally the guy above got it right.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 61)

Postby pjalst » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:48 pm

In baseball, an uncaught third strike (often inaccurately referred to as a dropped third strike) occurs when the catcher fails to cleanly catch a pitch for the third strike. A pitch is considered uncaught if the ball touches the ground before being caught, or if the ball is dropped after being grasped (see also catch). In Major League Baseball, the specific rules concerning the uncaught third strike are addressed in Rules 6.05 and 6.09 of the Official Baseball Rules.[1]

On an uncaught third strike with no runner on first base or with two outs, the batter immediately becomes a runner. The strike is called, but the umpire does not call the batter out. The umpire may also actively signal that there is "no catch" of the pitch. The batter may then attempt to reach first base and must be tagged or thrown out. With two outs and the bases loaded, the catcher who fails to catch the third strike may, upon picking up the ball, step on home plate for a force-out or make a throw to any other fielder.

One intent of this rule is to ensure that a defensive player fields the ball cleanly in order for that team to record an out. It was thought that it was not enough that the offensive player be unsuccessful at the plate in order for an out to be made; a defensive player must be successful as well.

Regardless of the outcome of an uncaught third strike, the pitcher is statistically credited with a strikeout. Because of the uncaught third strike rule, it is possible for a pitcher to register more than three strikeouts in an inning, a feat which has been accomplished in Major League Baseball 56 times.[2][3]

If at the time of the strike three pitch, first base is occupied with fewer than two outs, the batter is automatically out and cannot become a runner. This is to prevent the defense from deliberately dropping a third strike pitch and getting a double or triple play as a result, because of the possible force play at second, third base, or home plate in this situation.

In Little League divisions Tee-Ball, Minor League, and Little League (or the Major Division) the batter is out after the third strike regardless of whether the pitched ball is caught cleanly by the catcher. In Junior, Senior, and Big League divisions a batter may attempt to advance to first base on an uncaught third strike. Little League Major Division Softball as well as many other youth baseball leagues, such as the USSSA also follow the rule.
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 63)

Postby FantasyTeamAdvice » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:42 pm

But sadly, most major leaguers prefer to just stand there and get tagged out, even when they see it in the dirt.
FantasyTeamAdvice
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby pjalst » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:40 pm

A lot of times you're so pissed that you struck out, you don't even realize the ball was dropped until your teammates yell at you to run.
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 63)

Postby silverZ » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:20 am

4 strike out innings aren't that rare, but has anyone ever seen or heard of a 5 strike out inning?
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Return to Frequently Asked Fantasy Questions