Guys to start worrying about now - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Guys to start worrying about now

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Guys to start worrying about now

Postby wrveres » Sat May 14, 2011 10:13 am

plus KJ is batting 2nd. he'll be okay.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1159)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokerplaya » Sat May 14, 2011 10:23 am

wrveres wrote:plus KJ is batting 2nd. he'll be okay.

I hope he will.

I've never owned him before, I tend to go after the top guys or wait until the bitter end of the draft to fill 2b and generally miss out on the mid-tier guys. But when he was dropped about 10 days ago, I figured he was too good to pass up and it was far too early to give up all hope. But then he sat last Saturday and Sunday to "clear his head" and I started to think that this could just be a lost year. No one available really has the upside that he does, so I'll just sit tight for now and hope for the best.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby bigh0rt » Sat May 14, 2011 10:07 pm

pokerplaya wrote:
wrveres wrote:plus KJ is batting 2nd. he'll be okay.

I hope he will.

I've never owned him before, I tend to go after the top guys or wait until the bitter end of the draft to fill 2b and generally miss out on the mid-tier guys. But when he was dropped about 10 days ago, I figured he was too good to pass up and it was far too early to give up all hope. But then he sat last Saturday and Sunday to "clear his head" and I started to think that this could just be a lost year. No one available really has the upside that he does, so I'll just sit tight for now and hope for the best.

I grabbed him in one of my leagues where he was dropped. His BABIP is .242, which may help explain his BA woes. It'd be nice to see him strike out less and walk more like he has over his career, though...
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 839)

Postby 910BronxBomber » Wed May 18, 2011 5:33 pm

striderex wrote:and dan uggla still sucks

Lol, you can say that again. Maybe June is the month he bounces back (and yes, I know we said that about May).
910BronxBomber
College Coach
College Coach

Postby cs3 » Thu May 19, 2011 5:15 am

anyone else a little concerned with Buster's power outage?

his ISO is just .100
his SLG is only .377
and he has just 6 extra base hits in 157 PA's this season. (2 doubles, 4 HR). :-o
perhaps most alarming is his 55% ground ball rate, up from an already high 48.5% last year.
his BB% is up a little which is encouraging, but his K% is also up quite a bit to 18.8%, which is not. (only 13.5% last year).
just fewer balls put in play in general.

Ive watched almost every single Giants game this yr and every swing he takes seems defensive, like hes just trying to do anything he can to put the ball in play. I see him flailing at a lot more sliders well out of the strike zone when behind in the count, and he has problems with the high inside fastball lately.
Even when hes ahead in the count it doesnt *look* like hes trying to drive the ball - rather he settles for slapping the ball in the hole between first and second or lobbing liners back up through the middle. The rest of his hits come on groundballs between SS and 3B. come to think of it... i cant remember the last time he really drove any ball deep into the OF, whether it was a hit or not.

Do you think this is mostly the result of pitchers adjusting to him, a poor approach at the plate, or a mechanical issue with his swing? or something else?

edit - ok i just checked the game logs and his last extra base hit was a double way back on April 30. thats right, not a single one in the month of May
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CharlatanSin » Fri May 20, 2011 1:32 pm

cs3 wrote:anyone else a little concerned with Buster's power outage?

I think anybody expecting him to hit for much power was bound to be disappointed. His 18 HR last year sorta came out of nowhere. I think 20 was pretty much considered his prime ceiling before he came up. Great hitter, but really has doubles power more than HR. He's on pace for, what, 16 HR right now? IMO that's about what should have been expected.
She said always remember never to trust me
She said that the first night that she met me
She said "there's gonna be a time when I'm gonna have to go with whoever's gonna get me the highest."
CharlatanSin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri May 20, 2011 2:48 pm

petition to rename this the Torii Hunter thread
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby cs3 » Fri May 20, 2011 4:43 pm

CharlatanSin wrote:
cs3 wrote:anyone else a little concerned with Buster's power outage?

I think anybody expecting him to hit for much power was bound to be disappointed. His 18 HR last year sorta came out of nowhere. I think 20 was pretty much considered his prime ceiling before he came up. Great hitter, but really has doubles power more than HR. He's on pace for, what, 16 HR right now? IMO that's about what should have been expected.

problem is he hasnt even been hitting doubles. only 2 all season when i posted that. a .100 ISO is well below the league avg, altho he hasnt had enough plate appearances for that to stabilize yet.

but of course Buster read this thread, got pissed off, and promptly smacked a double down the RF line in his first AB last night just to shut me up.
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby j24jags » Fri May 20, 2011 6:41 pm

Anyone worried about Pujols?
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby jcook3127 » Fri May 20, 2011 7:47 pm

j24jags wrote:Anyone worried about Pujols?

lolol
Why don't they just get a house that's already painted?
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers