Drop Drabek for Jurrjens or De La Rosa? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Drop Drabek for Jurrjens or De La Rosa?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Drop Drabek for Jurrjens or De La Rosa?

Postby Rampage23 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:27 pm

10 team, H2H, each category, standard ESPN fantasy league.

C- Miguel Montero
1B- Adam Lind
2B- Robinson Cano
3B- Alex Rodriguez
SS- Ian Desmond
2B/SS- Rickie Weeks
1B/3B- Lance Berkman
OF- Sin Shoo-Choo
OF- Colby Rasmus
OF- Curtis Granderson
OF- Logan Morrison
OF- Adam Jones
Util Erick Aybar

Bench- Brett Gardner

DL- Kendrys Morales

P- Clayton Kershaw
P- Mat Latos
P- David Price
P- Carlos Marmol
P- Ricky Romero
P- Josh Beckett
P- Gio Gonzalez
P- Jhoulys Chacin
P- Jordan Walden
Bench- Kyle Drabek
Bench- Andrew Bailey *DL

Both De La Rosa and Jurrjens have talent but which one should I drop for Drabek? I basically just want to know which one is more likely to actually stay healthy this season, and is worth the spot.
Rampage23
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Drop Drabek for Jurrjens or De La Rosa?

Postby fantasybaseballking » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:24 am

Personally, I'd use the spot to pick up another bench bat.

Why have 8 starting pitchers? Isn't there an innings limit in your league? I ran into trouble with this my first go around, and went from 1st to 5th in the last month of the season because, when the limit was reached, I couldn't accumulate any more pitching stats.

But if you are indeed set on dropping Drabek for Jurrjens of De La Rosa, I'd go with De La Rosa. While both are decent #4 fantasy starters, De La Rosa's strikeout potential makes him much more valuable in my opinion.

Good luck!

Signed,

The Fantasy Baseball King
Owner: http://www.thefantasybaseballking.com
Columnist: Fantasy Baseball Dugout, Razzball, Dobber Baseball, FantasyBaseball.com, Pro Fantasy Baseball

Follow me on Twitter: @fantasybking
Like my Facebook Page: http://on.fb.me/l7Tv5L
fantasybaseballking
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Rampage23 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:53 am

fantasybaseballking wrote:Personally, I'd use the spot to pick up another bench bat.

Why have 8 starting pitchers? Isn't there an innings limit in your league? I ran into trouble with this my first go around, and went from 1st to 5th in the last month of the season because, when the limit was reached, I couldn't accumulate any more pitching stats.

But if you are indeed set on dropping Drabek for Jurrjens of De La Rosa, I'd go with De La Rosa. While both are decent #4 fantasy starters, De La Rosa's strikeout potential makes him much more valuable in my opinion.

Good luck!

Signed,

The Fantasy Baseball King

There is no bench bat available I would want to add, a couple of the available players may go on a hot streak at some point and I would consider riding said streak but none are good enough to give a spot to right now... Carlos Pena's daily 0-4 with no HRs to date isn't something I feel like I need to put me over the top haha.

No my league has no games started limit or innings limit, so I'm good.
Rampage23
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Garry26 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:54 am

Unless he's hurt, NO. Here's why:
The ideal prototypical sought after SP is this:
1:1 inning to K ratio +, Low ERA/WHIP, 17+ wins even in a bad team (mark of a top sp stud)

Or close to it. Near 1:1 K to Innings ratio, 4.5ish era and low 10 wins is still a good stud ace-type SP.

So far Drabek seems to be this. His last start was against the yankees and still, he wasnt too shaby. This is who youre considering dropping. Jurrjens seemed to be close to this based on last years sampling so you could grab & hold him while you confirm, and drop someone else. Not Drabek.

La Rosa as well.

Basically you want to get as many of these types of guys as possible. You dont want to flip them. Drop other SPs that dont fit that prototype, in exchange for possible ace-type SPs. Make sure the guy youre tosssing stinks though.
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 66)

Postby Rampage23 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:03 am

Garry26 wrote:Unless he's hurt, NO. Here's why:
The ideal prototypical sought after SP is this:
1:1 inning to K ratio +, Low ERA/WHIP, 17+ wins even in a bad team (mark of a top sp stud)

Or close to it. Near 1:1 K to Innings ratio, 4.5ish era and low 10 wins is still a good stud ace-type SP.

So far Drabek seems to be this. His last start was against the yankees and still, he wasnt too shaby. This is who youre considering dropping. Jurrjens seemed to be close to this based on last years sampling so you could grab & hold him while you confirm, and drop someone else. Not Drabek.

La Rosa as well.

Basically you want to get as many of these types of guys as possible. You dont want to flip them. Drop other SPs that dont fit that prototype, in exchange for possible ace-type SPs. Make sure the guy youre tosssing stinks though.

Drabek walks a ton and pitching in the AL East he is going to be rocked a lot, in fact I sat him against the Yankees last start because I know he couldn't handle it and I was right. He will have some OK numbers a this season I don't doubt but he certainly isn't a start every time he pitches which is something Jair Jurrjens or De La Rosa could be when healthy.

Also I do call 10 base runners, 4 runs and 2 K's shabby... It's not awful but it also isn't going to win you any games. This is where my long term concerns with him come for this season, he may one day become an ace but that doesn't concern me since this is 2011, He's a WHIP killer and I don't know if he can maintain his K numbers in the East.

Drabek is clearly the worst of my starting pitchers so if I am going to pickup Jurrjens or De La Rosa he has to be the one to go, Chacin, Gio and Beckett all have been better than him and should maintain that.
Rampage23
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions