Selig wants to expand playoffs for 2012 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Selig wants to expand playoffs for 2012

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Selig wants to expand playoffs for 2012

Postby lastingsgriller » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:44 pm

nyy28 wrote:So much arrogance in here from a bunch of math nerds with thousands and thousands of posts. I feel like this lastings clown would shit his pants if he had to stand in the batters box. Keep punching numbers into your calculator though and telling people who get paid to do it that they are clueless fools...


oh.. , I did play four years of college baseball and had a short stint with a single-A club, but couldn't hack it..

edit: also, I am an accountant... so I do punch plenty of numbers into a calculator. so I guess you got me there.
Last edited by lastingsgriller on Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 3882
(Past Year: 171)
Joined: 21 Jan 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: ..skipping the light fandango.

Re: Selig wants to expand playoffs for 2012

Postby DaSh 1s » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:45 pm

nyy28 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
nyy28 wrote:
Id rather be clueless anyday than be a blue jays fan. You guys continue on with your 'successful' seasons that end in a first round playoff loss. lol I wish success was that easy. Its easy to be successful when you set the bar so damn low. We judge success based on rings around here.

There have been like three very serious yankee fans who have tried to show you that you have no clue, but you are what you are i guess. keep on keepin' on. :-b :-b


What sucks for you though, is whatever you say, you lose because you have 20,000 posts on a fantasy baseball forum. I know its wrong and doesnt help my argument or anything, it just kind of says something about the people posting here I guess. Stumbled upon this place sometime last year and occasionally look around for advice for my fantasy team (how do people have like 10-12 teams here or are they just exagerating?), but at 20k posts, you kind of live here. You should go outside and throw the ball around, take a few swings or something. Anything would be better than just sitting behind your computer with your calculator in one hand and your johnson in the other.

I'm the clueless one though, its not like I make a living through baseball or anything. Im definitely not some all-knowing baseball guru, but I just felt like I had to chime in after some of those retarded comments on the first few pages.


what a clown, can we get this guy banned?
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1893
Joined: 1 Aug 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Selig wants to expand playoffs for 2012

Postby Matthias » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:08 pm

neoforce wrote:
Matthias wrote:Back on topic, I hate things that replace large sample sizes (regular season) with small sample sizes (playoffs). The beauty of baseball is in the meaning of the regular season, not just for what seed you get, but whether or not you get in. Leave it to Selig to further screw that up.

First, I agree with BronXBombers51. wow.

Back on topic is a good idea.

I both agree and disagree with you. I agree part of the beauty of baseball is large sample sizes. But clearly that is not the only important thing because otherwise why have a world series at all? I may be a SABR enthusiast, but I still want some type of champion series. I know it may not be the best team, but it is the best drama and entertainment.

Not to mention the fact that the majority of people still don't understand this issue at all. Here at the cafe we have an incredibly high percentage of people who get it. In the real world there are still most who think Wins and RBIs and clutch mean something. So all of those folks demand playoffs to prove the "best" team.

The other thing is I think this new format may actually restore some of the meaning of the regular season. Last year, the Yankees and Rays basically cruised in September because winning the division means nothing. But if the division winner got a first round bye, and the first round was a one game playoff, they would have fought for the division.

There are still plenty of holes in the "fairness" of this. But because of the potential for drama and slightly better fairness to the best teams vs potentially weak wildcards I like adding two more Wildcard teams.

Interesting take.

But do you think Selig would stop there? I think once he establishes this, then it will become a 5-game series and then he'll add another team and have the bottom 2 wild cards play and it will just keep getting further and further diluted.

I'm not saying no playoff series ever, obviously. But given the choice between an NHL-style playoff where half (or whatever) the teams get in and an old-school MLB where the team with the best record in the American League faces the team with the best record in the National League, I'd choose the latter. As it is now, with approx. 25% of teams playing in the playoffs is just fine with me.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 4860
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Selig wants to expand playoffs for 2012

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:26 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:Bronx, I feel forry for you man. I personally have no beef with the yankees or their orginazation. I get frusterated because they molest the twins every time we meet, but thats all part of the game. You just go about your business trying to be a good yankees fan and a good baseball fan and you constatntly have to be associated with numbskulls like this fool. It must be tough.

Bronx has come a long way since when he first joined the Cafe ;-). I feel like I remember him as a mini-nyy28 back in '05 :-b. He's def good peoples. ;-D


Oh for sure. :-b I wish there was a way to delete your post history here, because I'm sure my arguments were as dumb as this guy's back then. Yeah I'm still a Yankee fan but at least I know how spoiled I am. And thanks for the kind words. B-)
25
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11949
(Past Year: 53)
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Selig wants to expand playoffs for 2012

Postby mweir145 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:08 pm

Haha, look at what I've created.

It sounds like you are just jealous that your pathetic little blue jays cant compete. 80 wins is under .500 buddy and that just doesnt cut it, so citing the fact that the blue jays have many 80 win seasons does not mean anything at all - other than they lack the talent to even finish the season with a .500 record -- yet you think this sub 500 record would be good enough to beat anyone else but the yanks/red sox? lol

Yes we spend 200mil plus every year because our ownership wants to win, not pinch pennies and try increase our profit margins while putting a sub-par product on the field. We get the best because we have one of the greatest fanbases in the world who are willing to pay for the best. 200 million is peanuts to the yankees, and they are not going to change the way they do business because teams like the blue jays simply cant keep up with them.

You make it sound like the MLB gives NY/BOS all this money to spend and thats why your poor little blue jays cant compete. Yankee fans pay higher ticket prices than any other team in the league, and make more money on their merchandise sales, tv contracts, etc than any other team in the league. So they shouldnt be allowed to spend all that money they make because your broke ass blue jay fans dont care enough about their team to support them in the same fashion? I guess the Steinbrenners should just put every dime in the bank and trot out a team with a $30 mil payroll?? We actually care about winning here, and are not content with 80 win "successful" seasons like some teams are.

I'm not going to spend much time on your nonsense, but a couple of things.

You might be too young to remember (or even to know this), but the Blue Jays were the highest payroll team in baseball less than two decades ago. They won two WS's because of it. Essentially, they were the Yankees of 1989-1993. Toronto still has the potential to be like this again (although perhaps not to quite the same extent). The only reason they've become a "small market," so to speak, is that the fans don't believe there is any hope to make the playoffs at the start of each season and therefore don't buy tickets. I'd imagine the same thing has happened to the Orioles and Rays (to a lesser extent).

I also don't have any problem with the way the Yankees do business and I wouldn't want them to cut back. I'm against a salary cap in baseball. However, this doesn't mean that MLB's current scheduling and playoff system is fair to the teams like the Rays, Blue Jays, and Orioles that can't afford to keep up with the two highest payroll teams in baseball (the Yankees and Red Sox can basically buy playoff appearances in the current format).

Adding another playoff spot is a good start to help with these issues, but it still won't completely solve the competitive disadvantage problem. The need for a balanced schedule is obvious (or else better teams like the Jays will still lose out the 2nd wildcard spot to lesser teams like Oakland and Minnesota due to having to play NYY/BOS nearly 40 times as opposed to 12 times). Joe Maddon has talked about this before: http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/fil ... _schedule/

Of course, this will never happen, as MLB designs its schedule around Yankees/Sox games. Apparently, there is too much money to be played in them playing that often.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Selig wants to expand playoffs for 2012

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:48 pm

mweir145 wrote:Haha, look at what I've created.



I don't think he replies. B-)
Image
raiders_umpire
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 27781
Joined: 14 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: You will be missed, Robert Smeraldo.

Re: Selig wants to expand playoffs for 2012

Postby Grounded Polo » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:10 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:Yeah I'm still a Yankee fan but at least I know how spoiled I am.


It's ok, us Mets fans are spoiled too. [/sarcasm]
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6584
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 11 Aug 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Selig wants to expand playoffs for 2012

Postby bigken117 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:18 pm

bad idea - the season is long enough and more teams equals more luck - but it's all about the almighty dollar. They should make it a 32 team NCAA tournament style ;-D
Image

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 12879
(Past Year: 248)
Joined: 15 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: posed in an awkward stance

Re: Selig wants to expand playoffs for 2012

Postby mweir145 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:04 am

This would also be my choice: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.ph ... yoff-plan/

The Alternative

It’s not fair to take down an idea without raising an alternative. Clearly, there are people who think that the current system is unfair. I don’t disagree with them. The unbalanced schedule and 3+1 division/wild-card format puts many teams at a disadvantage. This hits close to home, because of the AL East. With three powerhouses, the Blue Jays are often left behind. Last year Toronto might have been good enough to win one of the other divisions had it played, say, an AL-Central-heavy schedule. If part of the issue is raising excitement among more fan bases and keeping more teams in the race, there could be a better idea.

Logistically, eight playoff teams works the best. That makes for easy scheduling, since every team plays in every round. It means no team gets a bye, the value of which in baseball is questionable. It also rewards the teams that finished best over the 162-game season. During such a long stretch of games you can separate the deserving teams from the undeserving ones. That’s the beauty of baseball. Teams play every day, and they play enough games that the best teams emerge in the end. There shouldn’t be any issue taking only the four best and pitting them against one another.

The best way to do this is by eliminating divisions altogether. There is the NL and there is the AL. You can’t perfectly balance the schedule, because the numbers just don’t add up. In the AL you’d play every team 12.5 times, and in the NL you’d play them 10.8 times. But you can get a decent approximation of balance in one season, and have that fully balance over a few seasons. That eliminates the Blue Jays issue, where Toronto not only has to compete with the Yankees and the Red Sox for one or two playoff spots, but also has to play those teams 36 times. It also creates a situation, again, where you’re better defining the best teams, rather than the best divisions.

This scenario would create plenty of excitement down the stretch, since six, eight and even 10 teams would be battling for those four spots. One, maybe two, might be locked up by that point. But that still leaves plenty of room for the final few spots. I can’t be so sure about this, since it’s something of an untested idea. But I think there would be plenty of teams contending for those final playoff spots. More teams, I think, than currently contend for the one wild card spot.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Selig wants to expand playoffs for 2012

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:15 am

Aww I missed out on the fun :-C

nyy28 wrote: Anything would be better than just sitting behind your computer with your calculator in one hand and your johnson in the other.


Obviously you don't know h0rt very well nyy28, he's more of a hookers and blow type of guy.
Mweir and lastings are the calculator + johnson ones. ;-7
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 11363
(Past Year: 25)
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 12:20 hours
(and 95 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact