ie...dont play in a league w Matthew Berry - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

ie...dont play in a league w Matthew Berry

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

ie...dont play in a league w Matthew Berry

Postby shawngee03 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:57 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/baseb ... =tmr110421

its an article supporting streaming SPs. his basis is that in a 10 teamer there are plenty of SPs on FA that have just as good a chance at a good start as those on rosters. so why not just stream your SPs.

2 problems w me:
-dont play in 10 team mixed leagues. why does ESPn continue to write every single piece of fantasy analysis based on that? i realize thats their standard free format...but come on. writing based on that set up makes whatever you say pointless bc it cant be applied to regular leagues that we all play on
-i hate streamers. it sucks and devalues the game IMO. and i hate when people write in support of it...bc that means more people will think its ok to do. sure its legal, but being legal doesnt always mean its teh right thing to do

so what did we learn from Mr Berry today??? draft 2 good SPs and just rotate the other SP spots all year removing the joy you get from building a good balanced team. good job...you just turned what is suppose to be fun into something that sounds like work

and yes this is all just my opinion. if you are a streamer no offense to you personally...i mean other than i wish bodily harm to you...but other than that no offense :-b

edit: sorry, thought i was in leftovers. probably fits better over there. this forum is reserved for argueing over definitions of words
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: ie...dont play in a league w Matthew Berry

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:04 pm

I will never understand why the readers of this site continuously ostracize the writers of ESPN, Yahoo!, and the like. Their articles are clearly not written for you; for us. I don't get why people keep reading them instead of the vast alternatives out there? The target audience for Berry and the like are getting just what they need to win their leagues, so let them, and stop kvetching about it.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shawngee03 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:09 pm

i agree. i get so bored at work that after i read everything from the good sites i usually will go to yahoo and espn just to waste time while i wait for beer time.

but who doesnt love a good kvetching story every now and again(i had to look that word up, so i figured i will try and use it 3 times today to enter it into my lexicon)
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:18 pm

shawngee03 wrote:i agree. i get so bored at work that after i read everything from the good sites i usually will go to yahoo and espn just to waste time while i wait for beer time.

but who doesnt love a good kvetching story every now and again(i had to look that word up, so i figured i will try and use it 3 times today to enter it into my lexicon)

I used it to honor Passover.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Inukchuk » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:24 pm

FWIW, I do like listening to the fantasy podcasts from CBS. They put out around 3 per week, and while the analysis isn't exactly the best, they do cater to deeper leagues in general.

While I usually take their opinions with a grain of salt, it does help me keep in touch with the lower levels of players without having to constantly comb through box scores looking for trends.
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:03 pm

bigh0rt wrote:I will never understand why the readers of this site continuously ostracize the writers of ESPN, Yahoo!, and the like. Their articles are clearly not written for you; for us. I don't get why people keep reading them instead of the vast alternatives out there? The target audience for Berry and the like are getting just what they need to win their leagues, so let them, and stop kvetching about it.

A couple weeks ago, there was an AJ Mass article that was pretty much advising people not to panic early on players, but he used AVG and only AVG as a justification for this idea. Some people here had a problem with that, but IMO that was a good article given the target audience, since those people have more of a tendency to buy high or sell low after 20 AB and they're a bit smarter for reading it. The logic behind it matters less when the outcome is better than the alternative. However, this article is just bad advice. Telling a new player to rely on streaming is like looking over the shoulder of someone learning to play chess and telling him "make all the pieces go forward and you'll win".

Plus, he's telling people to drop guys like Buchholz, Bumgarner, Garza, Dempster, Hellickson, etc. If he just limited the article to "trade away big name pitchers that the media overhypes" then that would be fine. But giving the go-ahead to drop pitchers in that tier is just dumb.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby thedude » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:12 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:Plus, he's telling people to drop guys like Buchholz, Bumgarner, Garza, Dempster, Hellickson, etc. If he just limited the article to "trade away big name pitchers that the media overhypes" then that would be fine. But giving the go-ahead to drop pitchers in that tier is just dumb.

I agree. That pretty terrible advice. Those guys have some value. The better advice would have been preseason, don't draft pitchers in that tier instead concentrate on hitters. Now those players are already on your team, and have greater value than the pitchers on the waiver wire, the smart move would be to trade them, not drop them.

For instance before the season he ranked Clay Buchholz as the 103rd best player, so, if I followed his rankings, I would have drafted Buchholz somewhere between the 9th and 11th rounds. Now he is telling me to DROP that guy after 3 weeks?
Last edited by thedude on Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:19 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:I will never understand why the readers of this site continuously ostracize the writers of ESPN, Yahoo!, and the like. Their articles are clearly not written for you; for us. I don't get why people keep reading them instead of the vast alternatives out there? The target audience for Berry and the like are getting just what they need to win their leagues, so let them, and stop kvetching about it.

A couple weeks ago, there was an AJ Mass article that was pretty much advising people not to panic early on players, but he used AVG and only AVG as a justification for this idea. Some people here had a problem with that, but IMO that was a good article given the target audience, since those people have more of a tendency to buy high or sell low after 20 AB and they're a bit smarter for reading it. The logic behind it matters less when the outcome is better than the alternative. However, this article is just bad advice. Telling a new player to rely on streaming is like looking over the shoulder of someone learning to play chess and telling him "make all the pieces go forward and you'll win".

Plus, he's telling people to drop guys like Buchholz, Bumgarner, Garza, Dempster, Hellickson, etc. If he just limited the article to "trade away big name pitchers that the media overhypes" then that would be fine. But giving the go-ahead to drop pitchers in that tier is just dumb.

I have no idea what it says, I've literally never read one of his articles. I have no reason to.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby lastingsgriller » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:40 pm

i don't understand why anyone here is reading any articles and really trying to take something valuable from them.

we all know how stats work, we all know how to look them up. we all follow baseball every day and can pinpoint a hot-trending player. we all know every player on every team and know roughly how that player is doing right now. if we miss something, someone else at the cafe will point them out.

If you think that matthew Berry or any other fantasy writer has some secret weath of information that you don't have, they don't. they are just another point of view.

that being said.. I listen to matthew berry's podcast and read quite a few espn articles. sometimes I agree with them sometimes i disagree. rarely will they sway me to make a decision about my fantasy baseball team, but I stil enjoy them for what they are. entertainment, conversation about one of my favorite subjects, and time killers.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:15 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:i don't understand why anyone here is reading any articles and really trying to take something valuable from them.

I don't think that's the main reason some folks read Berry, Mass, or any other fantasy writer notorious for giving out suspect advice. I'd say it's simply out of confirmation bias. Some will read the articles attentively for anything that backs their opinion, good or bad, of the writer's thinking. I suppose that's why some on the Cafe thumb their nose at the likes of Berry, Mass, Funston, et. al.

Personally, I don't pay much attention to ESPN's fantasy articles. Frankly, I very rarely read fantasy articles, let alone listen to fantasy radio during the season. I've skimmed through Berry's work before and I don't find him entertaining nor too informative, but that's just my taste and not an honest assessment.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 674)

Next

Return to General Talk