Big Brother (Apple) is Watching You - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Big Brother (Apple) is Watching You

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Big Brother (Apple) is Watching You

Postby thedude » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:25 pm

Image

Two researchers said they have uncovered a hidden file on Apple Inc. iPhones that keeps a record of where the phone has been and when it was there—a database that is unencrypted and stored by default.

The security experts, Alasdair Allan and Pete Warden, also created a program that lets iPhone owners see what the device has stored about their whereabouts. The maps produced by the program show details stretching back months.

It's not clear why the data are stored on the devices. There's no evidence the information is transferred to Apple. The company didn't respond to a request for comment.



Read more: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... z1K73LAjHt
Last edited by thedude on Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 8413
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Good Life

Re: Big Brother (Apple) is Watching You

Postby wrveres » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:25 pm

kinda surprised this didn't get more comments :-o
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31773
(Past Year: 758)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Big Brother (Apple) is Watching You

Postby jfg » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:46 pm

I don't know, I just kind of assumed that a phone with GPS and the internet would be able to do that. Doesn't the police have the ability to use cell phones to locate? Or is that just something I saw in a movie.
Image
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6078
(Past Year: 86)
Joined: 4 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Big Brother (Apple) is Watching You

Postby bigken117 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:33 pm

wrveres wrote:kinda surprised this didn't get more comments :-o


kinda surprised anyone would be surprised :-o
Image

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 12879
(Past Year: 250)
Joined: 15 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: posed in an awkward stance

Re: Big Brother (Apple) is Watching You

Postby thedude » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:56 pm

Well I guess the difference, in some people's mind, is that it is one thing to know that your phone could be used to find you location at this very moment, if someone actually bothered to look. It is another to known that your phone records everywhere you have been, stores it, and then transmits it to a third party.

By analogy, it is one thing to know that the government government or apple could listen my phone conversations, but probably isn't. It is another thing to learn that apple records every phone call I make and then stores it in a central data bank somewhere.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 8413
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Good Life

Re: Big Brother (Apple) is Watching You

Postby teddy ballgame » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:49 pm

thedude wrote:Well I guess the difference, in some people's mind, is that it is one thing to know that your phone could be used to find you location at this very moment, if someone actually bothered to look. It is another to known that your phone records everywhere you have been, stores it, and then transmits it to a third party.

By analogy, it is one thing to know that the government government or apple could listen my phone conversations, but probably isn't. It is another thing to learn that apple records every phone call I make and then stores it in a central data bank somewhere.

The blurb you posted specifically says there's no indication the data is transmitted to Apple. It's stored on the phone, and it's stored on the computer you sync the device with it. I'm not saying it's okay that it does that (though I'm not really surprised either), but let's not start making stuff up.
Image
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11485
Joined: 7 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Beantown

Re: Big Brother (Apple) is Watching You

Postby bigken117 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:24 pm

teddy ballgame wrote: I'm not saying it's okay that it does that (though I'm not really surprised either)


yeah let the record show I'm not ok with it either, but I'm not surprised. I have an Incredible which is a Google phone, and I guaran damn tee it's tracking my website usage and app downloading and how long it takes me to get three stars on every Angry Birds level and whatever else I use it for. It's where we are now. :-/
Image

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 12879
(Past Year: 250)
Joined: 15 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: posed in an awkward stance

Re: Big Brother (Apple) is Watching You

Postby bleach168 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:09 pm

T-Mobile was the only major carrier not to share its data with the NSA’s warrantless wiretapping program. But T-Mobile is going away.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 5058
(Past Year: 17)
Joined: 22 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Big Brother (Apple) is Watching You

Postby thedude » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:34 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:
thedude wrote:Well I guess the difference, in some people's mind, is that it is one thing to know that your phone could be used to find you location at this very moment, if someone actually bothered to look. It is another to known that your phone records everywhere you have been, stores it, and then transmits it to a third party.

By analogy, it is one thing to know that the government government or apple could listen my phone conversations, but probably isn't. It is another thing to learn that apple records every phone call I make and then stores it in a central data bank somewhere.

The blurb you posted specifically says there's no indication the data is transmitted to Apple. It's stored on the phone, and it's stored on the computer you sync the device with it. I'm not saying it's okay that it does that (though I'm not really surprised either), but let's not start making stuff up.


The purpose of this log is completely unknown. The researchers say that the data does not appear to be transmitted to a third party, at least not yet. They suggest that it could be a forthcoming feature from Apple, perhaps tied to their iAd software. As we’ve seen before, advertisers are keen to get location data, and Apple may be trying to better target the ads delivered to the phone. The researchers also point out that the geolocation information is not actually GPS data.


http://www.geekosystem.com/iphone-tracking/
While iphone is (apparently) not yet transmitting the data, the people who revealed that it is storing data in the first place think it is possible that could be in the near future.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 8413
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Good Life


Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Aug. 22
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Baltimore at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
Houston at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
St. Louis at Philadelphia
(7:05 pm)
San Francisco at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Tampa Bay at Toronto
(7:07 pm)
Atlanta at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
Seattle at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Kansas City at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Pittsburgh at Milwaukee
(8:10 pm)
Detroit at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Miami at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
San Diego at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
LA Angels at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
NY Mets at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact