Dodgers FAIL! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dodgers FAIL!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Dodgers FAIL!

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:16 pm

hard to feel sorry for someone who blows a ton of money he doesn't have and runs a profitable mlb franchise into the ground.

In order to fund their indulgent lifestyle, the McCourts opted to borrow against Dodger-related businesses to the tune of at least $108 million between 2004 and 2009, according to court documents.

Most notable was the string of real estate purchases they made upon their arrival to Southern California. They bought a pair of homes next to each other near the Playboy Mansion and another two in Malibu at a total cost of more than $70 million.

Burdened by the mortgages as well as improvements – $14 million to rip out tennis courts for an indoor, Olympic-size swimming pool at one of the homes – McCourt has said he took out $60 million (part of the $108 million) on the land around Dodger Stadium to pay down the mortgages.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/27/dodger-takeover-frank-and_n_868286.html
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 430)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bleach168 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:45 pm

That was a crazy read, GiantsFan. I never knew. Thanks
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby neoforce » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:27 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:... I wouldn't be surprised if his wife/ex wife will make out pretty damn good, these bitches always do. it's a shame really that when couples get divorced the woman gets half the man's stuff..

I find this to be one of the most offensive things I have read here on the cafe in a long time. In this particular case, Jamie McCourt may indeed be a bitch. And you can complain if you want about the laws of California being too liberal.

But to generalize that "these bitches always make out" in divorce is sexist, unfair, and doesn't take into account that the reason for these laws is because of how often women have historically been taken advantage of.

My salary is significantly more than my wife's. After 23 years of Marriage, I hope we never divorce. But through the good times and bad, we have always been a partnership. The fact that I make more money than her doesn't mean I deserve more than half in a divorce. We each contribute in our own ways to our partnership and I respect that the law attempts to be sure this is maintained in the case of divorce.

Divorce is a messy thing Usually no one "wins." And to complain that women "make out pretty damn good" because of the financial results from a divorce is, in my mind, ignorant and totally inappropriate.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby cs3 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:17 pm

it might sound bad but i agree with FNK. its not ignorant at all. in many cases its pretty much true.
find me some numbers that show otherwise... if not then im gonna keep right on believing that on average, women make out faaaaar better financially than men
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby k.k. » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:34 pm

cs3 wrote:it might sound bad but i agree with FNK. its not ignorant at all. in many cases its pretty much true.
find me some numbers that show otherwise... if not then im gonna keep right on believing that on average, women make out faaaaar better financially than men

I have to agree with this, and FNK's take. Men routinely get screwed in divorce settlements. It's not ignorant, it's reality. The whole function of alimony needs to be drastically overhauled and modernized.
~
k.k.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 7)

Postby corefour » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:56 pm

k.k. wrote:
cs3 wrote:it might sound bad but i agree with FNK. its not ignorant at all. in many cases its pretty much true.

I have to agree with this, and FNK's take. Men routinely get screwed in divorce settlements. It's not ignorant, it's reality. The whole function of alimony needs to be drastically overhauled and modernized.

Perhaps gender discrimination in divorce settlements is a legitimate debate, but it probably doesn't belong on a fantasy baseball message board, and saying "these bitches always do" is undoubtedly a sexist comment. I think it was the attitude SpecialNFK took that really offended neoforce, not necessarily the argument he was making, and I really can't blame him.

In other news, this is one of the most epic business failures I've ever seen. McCourt is a clown and he should just sell the team and disappear before he makes a bigger fool of himself (if that's possible). No one is on his side. Sadly, that's probably why he's putting up a fight - he might feel like the Dodgers are all he has left.
corefour
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby neoforce » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:28 pm

corefour wrote:Perhaps gender discrimination in divorce settlements is a legitimate debate, but it probably doesn't belong on a fantasy baseball message board, and saying "these bitches always do" is undoubtedly a sexist comment. I think it was the attitude SpecialNFK took that really offended neoforce, not necessarily the argument he was making, and I really can't blame him.

You did nail what offended me the most but I agree 100% that this isn't the place for it and will try not post on the subject again. I hope others let it drop as well, but I understand that late comers to a thread may reply to a message above without seeing this one.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby rjforlife » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:04 am

neoforce wrote:
corefour wrote:Perhaps gender discrimination in divorce settlements is a legitimate debate, but it probably doesn't belong on a fantasy baseball message board, and saying "these bitches always do" is undoubtedly a sexist comment. I think it was the attitude SpecialNFK took that really offended neoforce, not necessarily the argument he was making, and I really can't blame him.

You did nail what offended me the most but I agree 100% that this isn't the place for it and will try not post on the subject again. I hope others let it drop as well, but I understand that late comers to a thread may reply to a message above without seeing this one.

I won't say much but Neo is 100% correct. It's not really a matter of opinion either, there is correct(Neo) and there is ignorant(others). Ignorant is not the worst thing to be, it is simply not having the knowledge to form a solid opinion. Sorry if I open this up to more discussion, but I feel that Neo was put into the minority here because this is a male dominated board, and even moreso men typically with a lot of..um...bravado. He is actually in the proper majority, which is why the laws are the way they are to begin with.

*For the record I am a 27 year old heterosexual male*
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 748)

Postby cs3 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:48 am

He is actually in the proper majority, which is why the laws are the way they are to begin with.
in reality there is not much causality there at all but i guess it doesnt matter...
Pretty fitting that this is the "fail" thread
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Prospect Alert: Dodgers call up Chapter!

Postby cs3 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:52 am

After much deliberation the Dodgers finally made the the long anticipated call:

cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers