Callups you are waiting to pounce on (or already did) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Callups you are waiting to pounce on (or already did)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Callups you are waiting to pounce on (or already did)

Postby kab21 » Tue May 24, 2011 2:39 am

thecrownjewels wrote:Might we see Lawrie at the Rogers Centre when they open up a 4 game series with the White Sox on Thursday? Dude is on fire right now and you know how organizations love to get that attendance bump....purely speculation on my part, but after reading between the lines of some quotes by the Jays GM and the fact that a number of teams have been ignoring the Super 2 implications, I'd bet we see him this weekend. Again, just a guess. Regardless, it won't be long now, so I'd grab him immediately if you need the help.


Lawrie's being overrated as far as this year is concerned by the ridiculous Las Vegas park. He needs more time to especially work on his plate discipline but I'm not sure the PCL is the best place for him. tbh I think it sucks for both hitters and pitchers to develop in such extreme hitting environments.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 5340
(Past Year: 166)
Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Callups you are waiting to pounce on (or already did)

Postby thecrownjewels » Tue May 24, 2011 3:00 am

kab21 wrote:
thecrownjewels wrote:Might we see Lawrie at the Rogers Centre when they open up a 4 game series with the White Sox on Thursday? Dude is on fire right now and you know how organizations love to get that attendance bump....purely speculation on my part, but after reading between the lines of some quotes by the Jays GM and the fact that a number of teams have been ignoring the Super 2 implications, I'd bet we see him this weekend. Again, just a guess. Regardless, it won't be long now, so I'd grab him immediately if you need the help.


Lawrie's being overrated as far as this year is concerned by the ridiculous Las Vegas park. He needs more time to especially work on his plate discipline but I'm not sure the PCL is the best place for him. tbh I think it sucks for both hitters and pitchers to develop in such extreme hitting environments.


FWIW, Lawrie is actually hitting 80 points higher on the road this year (.391) and the 12 homers have been split, home and away. I understand that YOU think he's overrated, but I was just trying to speculate as to what the JAYS are thinking. Like I said, I think he arrives this coming weekend.
thecrownjewels
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar
Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 246
Joined: 22 May 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Splashing around in the fountains at the K

Re: Callups you are waiting to pounce on (or already did)

Postby kab21 » Tue May 24, 2011 5:30 am

thecrownjewels wrote:
FWIW, Lawrie is actually hitting 80 points higher on the road this year (.391) and the 12 homers have been split, home and away. I understand that YOU think he's overrated, but I was just trying to speculate as to what the JAYS are thinking. Like I said, I think he arrives this coming weekend.


The PCL west is full of extreme hitting parks so that doesn't change my opinion at all. Maybe he gets called up tomorrow but I still think he's going to struggle. Especially this year. He put up a very solid but not overly spectacular .800 OPS last year in AA. And I think if he was in a more neutral hitting environment or had a larger sample size I'm guessing that's about what he would he be hitting this season. He has below avg (but not awful) K and BB rates and he's learning a new position and by all accounts isn't very good at it. To go along with this he's only 21. Imo he's a year or two away from a solid MLB contributor. And I do love the bat long-term.

There are callups that I'm ready to pounce on and then there are callups that I'm only mildly interested in. Lawrie's definitely in the 2nd group for me as far as 2011 is concerned.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 5340
(Past Year: 166)
Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Callups you are waiting to pounce on (or already did)

Postby Montana168 » Wed May 25, 2011 1:23 pm

anyone know the ETA of belt returning to the majors? last update was that the giants wanted belt to sustain his success for a period of time in AAA before they recall him. Belt has played 30 games so far in AAA. IMO, it should be any day that he is recalled but that is pure speculation on my part and I havn't found any recent articles about him. Here are his numbers in AAA:

97 AB 19 R 4 HR 21 RBI 3 SB .351 avg .484/.546/1.031 27 bb/29 k
Image
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1458
Joined: 12 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Callups you are waiting to pounce on (or already did)

Postby hett2333 » Wed May 25, 2011 8:59 pm

I don't know where cbs is getting it's sources from, but is there any truth to this rumor?


According to rumblings from several sources, the Mariners may be considering recalling Dustin Ackley for the upcoming series against the Yankees beginning on Friday.
hett2333
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1286
Joined: 8 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Callups you are waiting to pounce on (or already did)

Postby k.k. » Wed May 25, 2011 9:10 pm

Montana168 wrote:anyone know the ETA of belt returning to the majors? last update was that the giants wanted belt to sustain his success for a period of time in AAA before they recall him. Belt has played 30 games so far in AAA. IMO, it should be any day that he is recalled but that is pure speculation on my part and I havn't found any recent articles about him. Here are his numbers in AAA:

97 AB 19 R 4 HR 21 RBI 3 SB .351 avg .484/.546/1.031 27 bb/29 k

I saw this update snippet from CBS today.

Belt a 'longshot' for call-up: Giants manager Bruce Bochy said before Wednesday's game against the Marlins that OF Darren Ford (ankle) may be looking at a DL stint. However, he didn't hint at re-calling prospect Brandon Belt immediately once the move is made. Bochy said the scenario with Belt getting a call-up because of Ford's ankle was a "longshot."
(Updated 05/25/2011)
~
k.k.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 768
(Past Year: 7)
Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Callups you are waiting to pounce on (or already did)

Postby thehotcorner » Thu May 26, 2011 12:15 pm

k.k. wrote:
Montana168 wrote:anyone know the ETA of belt returning to the majors? last update was that the giants wanted belt to sustain his success for a period of time in AAA before they recall him. Belt has played 30 games so far in AAA. IMO, it should be any day that he is recalled but that is pure speculation on my part and I havn't found any recent articles about him. Here are his numbers in AAA:

97 AB 19 R 4 HR 21 RBI 3 SB .351 avg .484/.546/1.031 27 bb/29 k

I saw this update snippet from CBS today.

Belt a 'longshot' for call-up: Giants manager Bruce Bochy said before Wednesday's game against the Marlins that OF Darren Ford (ankle) may be looking at a DL stint. However, he didn't hint at re-calling prospect Brandon Belt immediately once the move is made. Bochy said the scenario with Belt getting a call-up because of Ford's ankle was a "longshot."
(Updated 05/25/2011)


so of course, belt gets the call today...
thehotcorner
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 273
Joined: 5 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Callups you are waiting to pounce on (or already did)

Postby Element » Thu May 26, 2011 2:29 pm

I'm waiting on Kyle Gibson. He's improved his K9 from last season (through 9 starts anyway).

GS 9, 3.80/1.18, 47.1 IP, 49 K, 10 BB (FIP 3.41 / LOB% 73.5 / BABIP 0.303)
Image
Element
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4909
(Past Year: 713)
Joined: 25 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Callups you are waiting to pounce on (or already did)

Postby saemick » Fri May 27, 2011 8:01 am

Anyone have new info on when Jennings, Rizzo, Ackley, Blanks, Lawrie, etc... get the call?? Trying to make some speculative adds before the rush, but can't afford to keep non-rostered players on my team.

I believe that Blanks will come back up before Rizzo gets a shot, but if anyone has some insight on these guys or anyone else, June is just around the corner!
saemick
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1924
(Past Year: 12)
Joined: 16 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Callups you are waiting to pounce on (or already did)

Postby wrveres » Fri May 27, 2011 8:10 am

saemick wrote:Anyone have new info on when Jennings, Rizzo, Ackley, Blanks, Lawrie, etc... get the call?? Trying to make some speculative adds before the rush, but can't afford to keep non-rostered players on my team. I believe that Blanks will come back up before Rizzo gets a shot, but if anyone has some insight on these guys or anyone else, June is just around the corner!
Rumor is the Padres want to get Blanks some more ab's, just to make sure the elbow is okay, and then move him to the minor league outfield before calling him up. Could be another month or two on Blanks.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 687)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact