A Little R&R? Ryan Roberts, 3B/OF - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A Little R&R? Ryan Roberts, 3B/OF

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: A Little R&R? Ryan Roberts, 3B/OF

Postby thejusman1 » Sun May 08, 2011 7:50 pm

I'm loving this guy so far in a Cafe league. His playing time should only increase if he can maintain his success at the plate, especially with Kelly Johnson struggling so much. I think a nice .280, 20 homer season is not out of the question.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Grounded Polo » Sun May 08, 2011 9:51 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:he got the start today at 2B for the 5th time. this gives him 2B eligibility in yahoo.

Does he have trade value yet? I already have Rickie Weeks at 2B, an upgrade elsewhere would be welcome.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon May 09, 2011 6:29 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:he got the start today at 2B for the 5th time. this gives him 2B eligibility in yahoo.

Does he have trade value yet? I already have Rickie Weeks at 2B, an upgrade elsewhere would be welcome.

I imagine it's all based on how the other person views Roberts. he could be someone who plays on a regular basis the rest of the season and ends up having 20/20 with a good AVG. but he could also end up coming back down to earth and end up back on the bench if he isn't producing. I think it's still too early to tell. I imagine last year around this time a lot of people were still skeptical on Jose Bautista.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby Ursa » Mon May 09, 2011 9:34 pm

His last week he has gone 3 for 20 (all those hits in one game), with 5 R, 0 HR, 0 RBI, 1 SB. He did have three walks.

Looks as if regular PT wasn't what he needed.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Ender » Wed May 11, 2011 12:29 am

It is 90% likely he ends up on the free agent list by the all star break, just like Sam Fuld is about to end up. You still need to keep him for now to see what happens though.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:42 am

Okay, first I'm going to pat myself on the back for using the Cafe Index to find this thread on Ryan Roberts instead of needlessly starting a new one... kudos to wrs et al who have put that together and continue to expand it. ;-D

What are the thoughts on this guy for 2012? He had a serious coming out party in '11 with 19 HR, 86 R, 65 RBI, and 18 SB. Can we expect this kind of production going forward, or will '11 be a blip on the radar?? If he's able to sustain the level of production from last season, this guy is a great 2B/3B option after the bigger names have gone off the board.

James currently projects some regression (14 HR, 61 R, 51 RBI, 14 SB) which is a lot less desirable.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby J35J » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:27 pm

James has him less than last year because of a regression in ABs....otherwise he has him pretty much the same. I think that will be the biggest question...is he penciled in as a full time guy or not? Looks like the numbers like his defense pretty well so he isn't a liability there. I'd expect pretty simlar numbers overall...maybe a dip in SB...not sure if he'll be a consistant 20SB guy or not. But the biggest question for me at this point will be playing time...is he a full time starter? There isn't a ton of data to look at yet but it doesn't look like he's much of a hitter against righties right now...that may limit how much he plays?
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 387)

Postby Skin Blues » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:51 pm

I don't see how he isn't a full time player. That infield is terrible. Unless they want Willie Bloomquist and Johnny Mac both starting at the same time there's no reason to bench Roberts. I can see Aaron Hill losing PT before Roberts does too, especially if he settles in at a comfortable 600+ OPS again. Against righties, Roberts is still by far the best hitter on that infield, outside of 1B which has a separate set of platoon players.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 120)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:54 pm

J35J wrote:James has him less than last year because of a regression in ABs....otherwise he has him pretty much the same. I think that will be the biggest question...is he penciled in as a full time guy or not? Looks like the numbers like his defense pretty well so he isn't a liability there. I'd expect pretty simlar numbers overall...maybe a dip in SB...not sure if he'll be a consistant 20SB guy or not. But the biggest question for me at this point will be playing time...is he a full time starter? There isn't a ton of data to look at yet but it doesn't look like he's much of a hitter against righties right now...that may limit how much he plays?

Yeah, I should have specified that, as I did notice the drop off in AB. I guess I was assuming, as Skin Blues pointed out, that he'd be a full-time player, because I can't see any reason he shouldn't be. I'm interested to see your projections for him, J. ;-)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby wrveres » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:11 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Okay, first I'm going to pat myself on the back for using the Cafe Index to find this thread on Ryan Roberts instead of needlessly starting a new one... kudos to wrs et al who have put that together and continue to expand it.

thanks.. i was beginning to think it was all for nothing. ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 720)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers