Shelby Miller question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Shelby Miller question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Shelby Miller question

Postby MadMobius » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:13 am

So I've been kind of non existent for the part year and two months so I could use a little minor league direction.

What does everyone think of the following two players long term value? Shelby Miller and Paul Goldschmidt

Shelby Miller is still a ways away but man this kid looks pretty dominant so far. I know a lot of guys come and go from the tops of the ranking lists but this fireballer from TX looks like he's the real deal.

Paul Goldschmidt on the other hand I can't seem to find any information on. Just judging from his pure stat line from last season, his extrapolated stat line from the season before and his start to this have been pretty darn phenomenal haven't they? Anyone with any sort of insight on this kid at all would be great!!!
---Lincecum---------Gallardo------Santana-----------Peavy---

Props to "The_Show" for my sig...
MadMobius
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Shelby Miller question

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:18 pm

Shelby Miller is generally regarded as one of the best pitching prospects in the minors. Tehran probably gets the nod over him, but you could make a strong argument for him being number 2. He hasn't had much high-level experience, so mid 2012 is probably the ETA unless something unusual happens.

Goldschmidt, entering the season, was a fringe top-10 D-Backs prospect. Didn't make fangraphs' top 10, BP rated him as a 2 star prospect, BA put him outside the top 10, Sickles put him at 9, etc. Here's the scoop: He's got significant hitting skills, the main one being his power, as we're seeing right now. The knocks on him are twofold: one, he's got zero defensive value. He's got the range of a lawn ornament, so corner OF is out. He's only adequate at 1B, and the offensive bar for that position is very high. Two, he's got a long swing, and his 26% K rate in the California League points to contact and OBP problems in the future. If he keeps hitting like he's hitting, he could move up lists. One other thing to note is his platoon split - he did most of his damage against lefties last year. Also he put up big numbers in the Cal League which inflates offense like crazy. However, he's still hitting this year and he could very well keep it up - don't underrate his power. My gut, when I look at him, says "Right handed power bench bat," but there's certainly the potential for more. I could see him having a career trajectory in the Chris Davis/Brandon Wood mold, but like I said, there's potential for more.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 66)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Minor League & College Baseball