Streaming players? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

Streaming players?

Streaming players?

Postby gmoney49 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:35 am

Where does this lie on the ethics spectrum. A player in my league, the commish, has already made 29 moves in the first ~2 weeks of the season, mostly SP's. Is this standard or a bit sketchy? Some other owners are getting a little flustered with him.
gmoney49
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Streaming players?

Postby WaCougMBS » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:21 pm

Standard? Yes. Sketchy? No. Annoying? Absolutely.

Nothing really ethically wrong with streaming as it's well within the rules when the rules allow for it, but there are certainly things that can be done to stop it in future seasons if you and the majority of your league mates are willing - if it's roto, you can slap either weekly lineup changes or an IP limit and that will pretty much solve the problem; If it's h2h, you could also go weekly lineups (though I'm not personally a big of a fan of this in h2h, I've played leagues like this and it's worked pretty well) or have something like max IP/week.

Gotta tough it out this year though, and just know that when you're facing a streamer it's your week to maybe go all RP and take saves (and/or holds), ERA and WHIP - let him chase wins and Ks all he wants as it will blow up in his face plenty of times anyway - just don't get sucked into a stream fest or you might end up dropping guys you don't want to drop and losing 5-0 or 6-0 in the pitching cats anyway ;-D
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Streaming players?

Postby mixmastamikal » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:57 pm

Gotta ask what are the categories in your league and scoring settings, Tie breaker etc. ? We had this problem in one of my leagues a few years ago when we made innings pitched a category ( was also the tie breaker ugh!) but we put an acquisition's cap of 6 a week and it has made it a lot more interesting. there is still a lot of streaming going on but its more competitive this way, and makes people use there waiver more carefully. But like the guy above said this strategy is of the quantity not quality approach and can often backfire.
One strategy I have used when I know they will just go all out in volume is to pick one or two starts for my aces on my staff so all my quality categories are locked down. I have even just had a rp pitch one inning 3k's no walks no hits, and just benched every one the rest of the week. this was in a 8x8 league though which essentially locked down 4 of the pitching categories. I went really heavy on batting that year so i knew i could get the majority of those, and it worked out. Since then a minimum innings pitched was established. But this is just a strategy u might think about if you feel he is playing dirty, strike back!!!
Streamers

**Coming Soon**
mixmastamikal
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Beginner's Forum