James Loney is my 1B. Help with WW please! WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

James Loney is my 1B. Help with WW please! WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

James Loney is my 1B. Help with WW please! WHIR

Postby Xylo » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:27 pm

Loney is off to an awful, awful start to the season and I'm starting to wonder if I should even bother waiting this one out. He wasn't too great last year and has never been a real solid corner infielder. I guess my question is: Should I drop him? And if so, who should I pick up in his place?

A little background: I'm in a 12-team points league. The points system is pretty standard. Our league has no MI, CI, and only one U spot.

Here's a list of guys in the pool that I'm considering and the amount of points they have so far in my league:
Justin Smoak (48.2)
Brett Wallace (47.0)
Daric Barton (48.5)
Matt LaPorta (42.8)
Mark Trumbo (38.8)

-compared to: James Loney (25.75)

And no, I don't normally overreact to sample sizes, but my team is really tanking. I have a ton of guys under-performing like Gardner, Uggla, Liriano, and Lilly. And now that Zimmerman's on the DL, my team really needs to start generating some points from these weak spots. Any advice is very appreciated! Leave links and I'll try to help you too. THANKS!
Xylo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: James Loney is my 1B. Help with WW please! WHIR

Postby lefthandedforlife » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:00 pm

I don't think any one of those guys stands above the rest but I would add Daric Barton or Justin Smoak. Their K/BB seem to balance out and I think they have more upside that the others. Another thing I would think about is adding the guy on the best team but none of their teams are much better than the other but a better team might be able to influence better production.

Help:
viewtopic.php?t=427509
lefthandedforlife
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jovenparque » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:07 pm

wow, that is a pretty bad list there. i also think loney sucks. i am also a giants fan. i'm surprised how bad the waiver is considering you guys don't have a CI requirement and one UTIL spot in a 12 team league. i don't trust ANY of those guys. they might give you more HR, but loney, i think, is a better hitter in terms of average. who else is on your team? i think a trade might be in order here because the other managers are going to kill you in the power categories. once zim comes back and uggla stops sucking (at least he hast 3 HR... yea...) you'll be generating good power from 2B and very good power from 3B, but you're going to lose like 20+ HR by not having a better 1B. i hope your pitching is stacked or you are strong somewhere else because i think your 1B situation is really bad considering the number of teams and roster size. just my thoughts...
jovenparque
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BlueJaysFan » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:17 pm

I would take a risk on Brett Wallace; he was the Jays top prospect and is performing fairly well so far. I think he has the most potential and should be the most consistent. Smoak is also an interesting choice, albeit it he has less potential. You could also try to package Loney and someone else for a proven 1st baseman; I really like fielder. Just so you know, I have experience with 1st baseman, I have 5 great ones on my team- Puljos, Fielder, Cabrera, Teixeira, Morales.

Help:

viewtopic.php?t=427545
viewtopic.php?t=427572
BlueJaysFan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jovenparque » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:26 pm

BlueJaysFan wrote:I would take a risk on Brett Wallace; he was the Jays top prospect and is performing fairly well so far. I think he has the most potential and should be the most consistent. Smoak is also an interesting choice, albeit it he has less potential. You could also try to package Loney and someone else for a proven 1st baseman; I really like fielder. Just so you know, I have experience with 1st baseman, I have 5 great ones on my team- Puljos, Fielder, Cabrera, Teixeira, Morales.

Help:

viewtopic.php?t=427545
viewtopic.php?t=427572

whoa... that's murderer's row there... what's the format for your league??? jeeeeez... you got AROD too?
jovenparque
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BlueJaysFan » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:44 pm

jovenparque wrote:
BlueJaysFan wrote:I would take a risk on Brett Wallace; he was the Jays top prospect and is performing fairly well so far. I think he has the most potential and should be the most consistent. Smoak is also an interesting choice, albeit it he has less potential. You could also try to package Loney and someone else for a proven 1st baseman; I really like fielder. Just so you know, I have experience with 1st baseman, I have 5 great ones on my team- Puljos, Fielder, Cabrera, Teixeira, Morales.

Help:

viewtopic.php?t=427545
viewtopic.php?t=427572

whoa... that's murderer's row there... what's the format for your league??? jeeeeez... you got AROD too?

No, I don't have AROD, My 3rd baseman is Polanco. My league, is a 12 team points league. You can see the rest of my team, if you click on the first link I posted. Even though I have all this fire power at 1st base, I am not sure the rest of my postions are strong enough. I'm currently 2nd; 32 points behind first.
BlueJaysFan
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions