What to do with Napoli? WHIR! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

What to do with Napoli? WHIR!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What to do with Napoli? WHIR!

Postby mister_jay_peg » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:44 pm

I drafted Napoli this year, thinking being in Tex with his power would be a boon for my team, since I punted average. But he's backing up Toreallba at C, splitting time with young at DH, and is behind Moreland AND Young at 1B! With only 18 AB so far (and not knowing how long this will last), I don't know if he's going to be active enough for me to help!

I don't tend to keep a deep offensive bench, since the league is 6x6 with holds (lot of MR go into RP/P slots, and swap out my SPs as needed)

I see three options:
1) I drop him and add a C like Nick Hundley (SD).
2) I pick up Hundley and split time between them. I would then have to cull my already razor thin bench by dropping LaRoche. (Napoli would become my primary 1B backup to Miggy. I also have Howard Kendrick who is 1B eligible, and I can slide Hererra into 2B is needed).
3) Live with Napoli, and hope Ron Washington gets his head out of his ass and sees that Hundley's offense is worth more than Torrealba's (at best decent) defense?

Any and all help welcome, WHIR!
It's only cheating on your favorite team if you get caught... Like the '07 Series.
mister_jay_peg
College Coach
College Coach

Editor
(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What to do with Napoli? WHIR!

Postby mrbubs » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:56 pm

I have basically the same question, actually. I have a little more bench flexibility so I'm going to pick up another C until Napoli starts getting playing time. ( I do think that's going to happen, especially as the offense struggles with Hamilton gone.)

I think it's tough to go forward with only a few AB a week at C- it's one thing having a couple of off days, and quite another to miss 4-5 starts a week. I'd consider dropping one of your holds guys if you can-- seems like new RPs generally come out of the woodwork midseason - but i don't have enough experience with chasing holds to trust me on that...

Dropping napoli for hundley is not a terrible idea- he's still got decent (15 hr?) power and he's playing a lot. (36 AB to Napoli's 18).
mrbubs
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby RyeWhiskey » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:10 pm

mister_jay_peg wrote:I drafted Napoli this year, thinking being in Tex with his power would be a boon for my team, since I punted average. But he's backing up Toreallba at C, splitting time with young at DH, and is behind Moreland AND Young at 1B! With only 18 AB so far (and not knowing how long this will last), I don't know if he's going to be active enough for me to help!

I don't tend to keep a deep offensive bench, since the league is 6x6 with holds (lot of MR go into RP/P slots, and swap out my SPs as needed)

I see three options:
1) I drop him and add a C like Nick Hundley (SD).
2) I pick up Hundley and split time between them. I would then have to cull my already razor thin bench by dropping LaRoche. (Napoli would become my primary 1B backup to Miggy. I also have Howard Kendrick who is 1B eligible, and I can slide Hererra into 2B is needed). ;-D
3) Live with Napoli, and hope Ron Washington gets his head out of his ass and sees that Hundley's offense is worth more than Torrealba's (at best decent) defense?

Any and all help welcome, WHIR!

Option 2 is the correct solution. Napoli will out-produce most Cs, even with limited playing time. So for the moment you need to drop LaRoche (who has a nagging injury) and add Hundley. Then platoon the two of them accordingly.

Help with mine? viewtopic.php?f=26&t=427469
RyeWhiskey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby abercrombie9701 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:25 pm

I traded napoli stright up for youk in my leauge
abercrombie9701
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Zhangman1 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:54 pm

I had the same issue and I decided to pick up Russel Martin and play Napoli at UTIL when he's playing.

Def dont' drop the guy. Also, if there is another guy worth more than Hundly popping up at anytime then grab him. Napoli in limited ABs should put up as much as Hundley with full catcher ABs

--
help?
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=427471
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby kab21 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:30 pm

Option 1 is a terrible idea. Hundley is a terrible hitter on a terrible team in a terrible park.

If LaRoche isn't in your starting lineup then cut him and pick a catcher like Avila, Olivo, Jaso or someone else that has a big platoon split. And then platoon your catchers based on the opposing pitcher. Or just continue to play Napoli and figure that Washington will see the light and start playing him more. Even in limited AB's he's been one of the more productive catchers this year.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby HugoBrasky » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:29 pm

Picking up C. Ruiz, but don't know who to drop. Options are... M. Napoli, J.Nathan, W. Bloomquist. I'm pretty solid in the OF position, but I'm also trying to deal one for pitching. I hate to give up on Nathan so early in the season, but until he gets back on track I don't trust him enough to put him into my line-up.
HugoBrasky
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions