Can I Beat The Boys With This Team??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Can I Beat The Boys With This Team???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Can I Beat The Boys With This Team???

Postby LadyScorpio » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:23 pm

I'm the only female playing in a 9-team roto league (small I know). For the past 2 years I started in 1st place and ended the season in 1st place. But this year...I'm in LAST PLACE and I'm scared!!! My squad includes:

C - McCann & V-Mart (tried to trade 1 of them...no one would bite...R. Martin is outplaying both)
1B - A. Dunn & V-Mart
2B - A. Hill
3B - C. McGehee & Zimmerman (DL)
SS - I. Desmond & A. Escobar
OF - Crawford, Stanton, Bruce and Pagan (dropped Manny of course)
SP - King Felix, Scherzer, Volquez, Chacin, Narveson, Drabek, K. McClellan & Rogers
RP - Marmol, Soria, Burnett & Aardsma (DL)

According to numerous pre-season polls and fantasy experts, my offense should be going off, but the only offensive category that I'm leading in is SB's. I'm last in Runs, AVG and OPS. My pitching is somewhat better, but Volquez and a few others have inflated my ERA and WHIP while obliterating my K/BB. Yet somehow, I don't think I should drop any of them just yet.

Meanwhile, I'm considering dropping Hill for R. Raburn and Bruce for Gomes, Morrison or Beltran...all of which are hitting better than him. UGH!! HELP!!!

I know it's only the 2nd week of the season, but I'm not sure if I should wait until some of my boys start going off or dump them. Please advise.
LadyScorpio
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Can I Beat The Boys With This Team???

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:57 pm

Don't be overly concerned at your position in the standings right now. Your team looks pretty solid, and you know that some of those bats will start to go off soon. Do not drop Bruce under any circumstances... he has started slow, but he is a stud in the making and you'll regret it mightily if you let him go. I'd also hold onto Hill, but would drop Escobar for Morrison.
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LadyScorpio » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:27 pm

Thank you for your insight, Avsfan4ever33. Should I stay put with my pitchers too?
LadyScorpio
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby mrbubs » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:03 pm

Morrison has great upside - in a 9 team league you don't need to hold on to middling guys this early in the season because there will be good replacements on the WW. I agree with dropping escobar for morrison. Don't drop bruce- he could be top 10-15 OF, and he's in a killer lineup.

Your pitching is good but not incredible -- who's available on the waiver wire to help?

(can you help on mine? http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=427468)
mrbubs
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby RyeWhiskey » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:08 pm

I would stay put in terms of making rash moves with your squad. That said, Morrison is a much better hitter than Escobar so I would make that move quickly. As for your staff, it's a little thin, so I'd wait a month or so and then try and move VMart for a good SP (Maybe Cain, or Hanson).

Help with mine? viewtopic.php?f=26&t=427469
RyeWhiskey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:48 pm

LadyScorpio wrote:Thank you for your insight, Avsfan4ever33. Should I stay put with my pitchers too?

Depends on who is available, but I'd assume in a nine team league there are better options out there then Esmil Rogers.
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LadyScorpio » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:37 pm

You're oh so right on that one! I just picked up A. Harang and T. Wood and ditched Esmil & Drabek. I'm contemplating picking up Pineda, though thanks to Seattle's offense he probably won't get many wins. Drabek will probably do well for the season, but I don't like AL East pitchers. Not to mention, I'm a HUGE Red Sox fan. I don't wanna cheer for guys that pitch against my boys.

Thanks for your help and good luck for the season.
LadyScorpio
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions