The Napoli Blues: Let's Talk Catchers! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Napoli Blues: Let's Talk Catchers!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The Napoli Blues: Let's Talk Catchers!

Postby footballisbetter.com » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:32 pm

I would love to see Napoli play more often, but I can rotate him with R Martin for now in a daily lineup league. It's working out great so far.
footballisbetter.com
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 92)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kab21 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:48 pm

Actually Napoli playing everyday does hurt your avg more than you think. Right now he is playing almost only against LHP'ing.

.285 career BA vs lefties
.235 career BA vs righties

But I would prefer that he played more often since I drafted him for the 25+ HR's that should be easy in Arlington and he hits for the same power regardless of which handed pitcher is out there. But if your patient I think he'll start getting more PT.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby Padsin05 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:04 pm

Mike Napoli is expected to see more playing time with Taylor Teagarden on the roster.
The Rangers didn't want to use Napoli at DH too often when Yorvit Torrealba started because they would lose the DH spot if Torrealba was injured. Teagarden's presence as the third catcher solves this problem. Manager Ron Washington also noted that Napoli will see more starts at catcher than Teagarden. Napoli is batting .292/.452/.708 with three homers thus far but has seen
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)

Postby lastingsgriller » Mon May 02, 2011 10:17 am

so.. uuhhhh... Mike Napoli is very good and very useful regardless of playing time..
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby kaiser » Mon May 02, 2011 10:27 am

I'd rather he play four out of five days, but I'm satisfied with him anyway.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 306)

Postby kab21 » Thu May 05, 2011 11:40 pm

So has Napoli started against RH'ers recently? I just leave at catcher and that's it.

But I picked up Conger to rotate in with Napoli. Or with Valencia (Napoli to CI). Or with my terrible UT players (pick two of JD, Dejesus and Parra). Is there any rhyme or reason as to when Conger will be in the lineup. He's a switch hitter but I don't know which side he's better at. Or maybe he catches certain pitchers.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby baseball77 » Tue May 24, 2011 8:29 pm

I have the Napoli blues but not because of his playing time now. He's batting .185 and hasn't hit for power at all lately. He's only owned in 60% of ESPN leagues right now. What do you guys think about him at this point?
baseball77
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kaiser » Tue May 24, 2011 9:17 pm

baseball77 wrote:I have the Napoli blues but not because of his playing time now. He's batting .185 and hasn't hit for power at all lately. He's only owned in 60% of ESPN leagues right now. What do you guys think about him at this point?

I'd like to pick up someone to replace him. The ABs just aren't there, and when they are, he is not being productive with them. As I said, I'd like to replace him, but even in my ten-team, one-catcher league, there doesn't seem to be any good candidates.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby swyck » Fri May 27, 2011 9:05 am

kaiser wrote:
baseball77 wrote:I have the Napoli blues but not because of his playing time now. He's batting .185 and hasn't hit for power at all lately. He's only owned in 60% of ESPN leagues right now. What do you guys think about him at this point?

I'd like to pick up someone to replace him. The ABs just aren't there, and when they are, he is not being productive with them. As I said, I'd like to replace him, but even in my ten-team, one-catcher league, there doesn't seem to be any good candidates.

Any idea what the story with him is? I mean seriously, based on his previous production you'd think he'd be doing fine with a potential for lots better. He's been yanked around with playing time in the past so it can't be that. Maybe he doesn't like moving around or DHing.

LD% is way down, but K% is down, BB% is up. That's good isn't it? Actually it may not be. It looks like his swing rate is down. He may be walking more because he's not swinging?

To me based on the numbers and only seeing him for a few games in town, he's not being aggressive, and just needs to get his head straightened out. IMO still has possibilities this year unless you think he's fallen of the ledge. As for playing time, I think he's had the chances and not taken advantage so he may have missed the boat. That's the biggest concern. He could play his way back.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby kaiser » Fri May 27, 2011 9:23 am

I think there is a lot to be said for consistent playing time, and being able to find a "rhythm" in the batters' box. I think he would be a monster if he could only play every day.

Maybe that is just wishful thinking, but t just seems like it would make sense. The skills are there. But when you go 0-4 and then have to sit around three days before you get another at bat, I have to think that that would mess with your head.

I dropped him yesterday for J.P. Arencebia.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers