The Napoli Blues: Let's Talk Catchers! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Napoli Blues: Let's Talk Catchers!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The Napoli Blues: Let's Talk Catchers!

Postby kaiser » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:52 am

I actually picked up Napoli with one of my last draft picks. He wasn't getting any respect, and it's only a ten-team league.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 305)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby baseball77 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:49 pm

kaiser wrote: But has anyone seen anything from his manager that indicates that an increase in PT is likely?

The only thing I have seen is Ron benching him for the third straight game against Brad Penny whom Napoli is 4-8 with 3HR and 6 RBI against lifetime. Everything suggests that it will take a trade or an injury to a core player for him to get more playing time. Ron really seems to not like him at all if he's willing to start Yorvit Torrealba over him. It's a very frustrating situation, but I'm holding out hope since there is no one better at catcher on my waiver wire.
baseball77
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Padsin05 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:26 pm

baseball77 wrote:
kaiser wrote: But has anyone seen anything from his manager that indicates that an increase in PT is likely?

The only thing I have seen is Ron benching him for the third straight game against Brad Penny whom Napoli is 4-8 with 3HR and 6 RBI against lifetime. Everything suggests that it will take a trade or an injury to a core player for him to get more playing time. Ron really seems to not like him at all if he's willing to start Yorvit Torrealba over him. It's a very frustrating situation, but I'm holding out hope since there is no one better at catcher on my waiver wire.

as a Napoli owner, I am extremely frustrated.

but looking at the situation subjectively, I think that what Washington is doing is 100% correct. Napoli is a butcher behind the dish, Yorvit is one of the best C-ERA guys and has tremendous value in working with the pitchers. Offense isnt an issue for Texas, they have plenty of sticks. If their offense starts to decline, or someone else gets hurt, Napoli will be in there everyday. Only problem is that the Rangers really need a 3rd catcher on the roster so they could actually use Napoli more as a DH. As of right now, he wont be a DH at all, cause Washington has said he doesnt want to lose the DH if Yorvit got hurt in game

Best case scenario, Young, Beltre or Kinsler get hurt, Texas would probably then call up another catcher and let Napoli play full time. Luckily I am in a daily league, I also have John Buck so I am ok, but I check lineups daily, and anytime Naps is playing hes in there
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)

Postby OldEnglishZ » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:22 pm

I think limited ABs almost help him if you have him at the C position. He will put up HR RBI #s to others playing everyday. If we saw him play everyday, it would be a killer for AVG. This way he puts up similar or better #s and doesn't kill your average.

While we are on catchers, dynasty/keeper or desperate need to really look at Conger. Sounds like he will be staying longer than expected and he has been producing when given the opportunity. Socia has showed with Walden/Rodney that he is going to play the guy producing. Also notice he has been catching Jered Weaver too who is on fire ... Could play into a decision down the road.

Only play deep AL-only formats.
OldEnglishZ
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:57 pm

OldEnglishZ wrote:I think limited ABs almost help him if you have him at the C position. He will put up HR RBI #s to others playing everyday. If we saw him play everyday, it would be a killer for AVG. This way he puts up similar or better #s and doesn't kill your average.

??? This makes no sense. Either his stats are a net positive or a net negative, on a per AB basis. If they are positive, then more ABs is better, and vice versa.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 109)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:09 pm

Skin Blues wrote:
OldEnglishZ wrote:I think limited ABs almost help him if you have him at the C position. He will put up HR RBI #s to others playing everyday. If we saw him play everyday, it would be a killer for AVG. This way he puts up similar or better #s and doesn't kill your average.

??? This makes no sense. Either his stats are a net positive or a net negative, on a per AB basis. If they are positive, then more ABs is better, and vice versa.

This is not true. For players who are going to hurt your batting average, you certainly want to get the most counting stats out of them in the fewest AB possible, thus having their poor average weigh into your team average minimally.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby OldEnglishZ » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:28 pm

If he is going to put the same numbers as these other guys in limited at bats its more beneficial for his poor average. He will put up good RBI, HR, R in a scarce category and his average wont kill you.

Yes, he would have more HRs, R, RBI, etc.. but at what cost? He can still be an elite catcher in AL-league and pretty decent in mix with the numbers he puts up in limited playing time, and it will not kill your average.

Obviously he would be better if he got more ABs, but this is FANTASY baseball. You have to hedge your risk, sticking him as a cheap option in at catcher and getting 20 HRs from a guy that potentially can drag down your AVG is a risk that is downgraded as his ABs decrease.

OldEnglishZ
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:15 pm

It's the same damn thing. Either he helps you by playing, or he hurts you. It can't be both. Of course he hurts your BA if he hits .250, but the "help" and "hurt" are both proportionate to the exact same amount of at-bats. Some people face tougher competition when they get more playing time, which is the case with platoons where for instance a lefty all of a sudden sees full time ABs against lefties whereas he used to face mostly righties, but they're not playing platoon splits with Napoli, they're just giving random guys a day of rest once in a while. It's not like his tiny portion of your overall stats is going to launch you into the land of diminishing returns in HR and RBI, either. We're talking about marginal increases here. If 25 HR and 130 R+RBI are worth more than a .250 BA in 350 AB, then 30 HR and 156 R+RBI are worth more than a .250 BA in 420 AB.

OK, enough ranting. I think I'm delusional, I've been at work for 23 of the past 30 hours.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 109)

Postby OldEnglishZ » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:24 pm

I'm just saying from the C position that can be valuable but both are right.. Essentially we are arguing for no real justification. Main point is Napoli has value no matter the Ab, high or low.

OldEnglishZ
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:40 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:

This is not true. For players who are going to hurt your batting average, you certainly want to get the most counting stats out of them in the fewest AB possible, thus having their poor average weigh into your team average minimally.

It's not a question of .250/20 in 350 AB against .250/20 in 500 AB, it's .250/20 in 350 AB against .250/30 in 500 AB. More AB = more help in counting stats, and since 4 of 5 stats in 5x5 are counting stats, then unless the AVG is absolutely killing you then more AB is better.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers