The Napoli Blues: Let's Talk Catchers! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Napoli Blues: Let's Talk Catchers!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Napoli Blues: Let's Talk Catchers!

Postby kaiser » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:48 am

As I watch my catcher, Mike Napoli, sit on the bench night after night, it occurs to me that, as much as I like the power he provides when he is allowed to actually play, it might be better to be playing someone in that spot who is actually going to get at bats.

Meanwhile, upstarts like Carlos Ruiz, JP Arencebia and Nick Hundley are playing almost every night, getting at least twice as many at bats as Naploi, and all are hitting over .300 (hell, Hundley is hitting over 400).

I'm sure there are others out there in my same boat, having drafted Napoli expecting a little more playing time, and now wondering whether to cut bait or not. Anyone have any thoughts?
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 308)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The Napoli Blues: Let's Talk Catchers!

Postby nsulham » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:52 am

I was the last person to draft a catcher and subsequently waited until the last round to do so, where I ended up with Iannetta. Used him for the first week, this week it's Hundley. Needless to say, I'm rotating catchers and keeping my eyes peeled like yourself. Wilson Ramos is a guy I'm keeping tabs on, he's hit well early on and is scheduled to get more PT once they phase out Pudge.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby kab21 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:07 am

I don't get it.

Even in his limited playing time he has more HR's and almost as many R+RBI's that those guys. And he ranks 5th overall at C according to Yahoo!'s player rater. I did finally pick up Avila to rotate in but Napoli is awesome and his PT will increase if you're patient.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 171)

Postby kaiser » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:17 am

kab21 wrote:I don't get it.

Even in his limited playing time he has more HR's and almost as many R+RBI's that those guys. And he ranks 5th overall at C according to Yahoo!'s player rater.

I don't think any of that will last if he continue to play only once every three or four games. And I am worried that Hamilton's injury will reduce his potential playing time.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby kab21 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:27 am

kaiser wrote:
kab21 wrote:I don't get it.

Even in his limited playing time he has more HR's and almost as many R+RBI's that those guys. And he ranks 5th overall at C according to Yahoo!'s player rater.

I don't think any of that will last if he continue to play only once every three or four games. And I am worried that Hamilton's injury will reduce his potential playing time.

You don't think any of that will last yet you mention Hundley, Arencibia and Ruiz as possible replacements?
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jpbusta » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:41 am

I ended up drafting Napoli in 3 of my 4 teams this yr. I was expecting solid numbers.

He seems like even with the limited abs he's getting, he'll still produce solid numbers. However my gp limit in catcher keeps going minus and I decided to drop injured Nishioka to pick up Hundley.

However, I am in South Korea at the moment and It's hard to change spots on my roster after checking the lineup everyday because all the games start at like 4 in the morning in Korean time :-D
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kaiser » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:42 am

kab21 wrote:
You don't think any of that will last yet you mention Hundley, Arencibia and Ruiz as possible replacements?

Not sure I'm following you. I'm saying that, should the present situation continue, and Napoli plays one game for every three that the others play, I don't believe his HR, RBI or runs totals will be as high as an everyday catcher. AVG may be a different story, but the lower number of at bats also limits the positive influence of that stat on the overall statistics.

I don't leave any other spot on my roster empty five days out of the week, but that is essentially what is currently happening with Napoli. I understand that I could possibly pick up anther catcher to rotate in when Napoli is not playing, but that requires both advance knowlegde of when Napoli will sit, as well as the burning of another useful roster spot. This is not ideal, in my mind.

I may be misguided... the fact that Napoli is still owned by 97% in ESPN leagues suggests that. I'm just trying to get a better understanding of the logic behind that, to better help me make the decision on whether to stick with him or not.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby kab21 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:48 am

kaiser wrote:
kab21 wrote:

Not sure I'm following you. I'm saying that, should the present situation continue, and Napoli plays one game for every three that the others play, I don't believe his HR, RBI or runs totals will be as high as an everyday catcher. AVG may be a different story, but the lower number of at bats also limits the positive influence of that stat on the overall statistics.

I don't leave any other spot on my roster empty five days out of the week, but that is essentially what is currently happening with Napoli. I understand that I could possibly pick up anther catcher to rotate in when Napoli is not playing, but that requires both advance knowlegde of when Napoli will sit, as well as the burning of another useful roster spot. This is not ideal, in my mind.

I may be misguided... the fact that Napoli is still owned by 97% in ESPN leagues suggests that. I'm just trying to get a better understanding of the logic behind that, to better help me make the decision on whether to stick with him or not.

I'm fairly confident that his HR, R and RBI totals will be as high as Hundley, Arencibia and Ruiz even if he only gets 300 AB's this year. Hundley and Ruiz in particular aren't very good at hitting. And I remain confident that Napoli will start getting more PT ending up with close to 500 AB's. but right now he's guaranteed to play against all LHP's if you choose to go the platoon route. Avila as one example is guaranteed to play against all RHP's.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby kaiser » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:59 am

At his current rate, he'll get somewhere around 200-230 at bats this season. That's calculating playing 1/3 of the games, with four at bats per game. If he plays 50% of all possible games, he gets somewhere around 315-340 at bats.

You're right- it will take an increase in playing time to get him to 500. If I knew that was going to happen, I would not even think of dropping him. But has anyone seen anything from his manager that indicates that an increase in PT is likely?
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:30 am

If you already have Napoli, then you might as well start him every day. You might have been better off waiting til the end of the draft and getting one of the guys you mentioned, but overall I doubt they'll outperform him even with more at-bats. Last year everybody panicked about him when Scioscia got a hard on for Mathis but he still ended up with 26 HR and 130 R+RBI. The Morales injury helped, but then again look at the team he plays for... Hamilton going down creates more ABs since Moreland can play the outfield, plus if Beltre, Kinsler, Young or Andrus get hurt he'll pretty much get full-time ABs.

The Napoli Blues are just temporary.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 134)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers