Brad Lidge or Frank Francisco? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Brad Lidge or Frank Francisco?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Brad Lidge or Frank Francisco?

Postby cs3 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:47 am

--My league allows only 3 adds per week, and we have 3 DL slots.--
--we have 3 SP, 2 RP, and 2 P slots (24 man roster)--
--10 team H2H 6x6 with these pitching categories: wins sv era whip QS K's--

Frank Francisco and Brad Lidge are both curently on the DL, but are available as FA.
i currently have Kimbrel, Street, Walden, and Conteras on my roster. All of my DL spots are full, but when i activate Morrow form the DL I am going to add either Lidge/Francisco. my question is which one?

Lidge would allow me to hedge my bet considering I already have Contreras, but i have a hard time believing he will be back anytime before the All Star break, and he might not be right the entire season. But he is great insurance for Conteras (or the other way around)

F. Francisco will be back within the next week or 2, but he may not immediately be given the closer role, and he has been getting lit up in his minor league rehab appearances. But he *was* acquired via trade specifically to close for the Jays.

Also, im mostly looking to add one of these guys so that i can trade him or one of my current closers in the near future... either to upgrade a position or get a draft pick for next yr. i dont really want to carry 5 RP on my active roster bc i think the bench spots are more valuable for SP.

here is my pitching roster:
Pitchers
SP: Jon Lester (SP), Mat Latos (SP), Daniel Hudson (SP)
RP: Jose Contreras (RP), Craig Kimbrel (RP)
P: Jordan Walden (RP), Huston Street (RP)
BN: Michael Pineda (SP), Max Scherzer(SP), Jordan Zimmermann (SP), Brandon Beachy (SP), Ricky Nolasco (SP)
DL: Brandon Morrow (SP), Stephen Strasburg (SP)
(this is a keeper league which is why i have Strasburg - i can keep him in the 20th rd next yr
Nishioka is in my 3rd DL spot)

leave a link and ill help you out!
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Brad Lidge or Frank Francisco?

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:50 am

I don't like either at all, but Francisco will play long before Lidge.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby SleuterBomber » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:52 am

Francisco, he should have the job when he returns and should be back in a couple of weeks. Lidge is out until the ASB.
SleuterBomber
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby cs3 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:15 am

HOOTIE wrote:I don't like either at all, but Francisco will play long before Lidge.

assuming i picked up F. Francisco, would you try trade him, or trade away a current closer? or carry 5 closers and drop a SP? (i can't drop any bats as im already way thin on my bench) FWIW i would say contreras has the least trade value of them all so he may be hard to move.
If you you think looking to trade a closer would be the best bet
1) improving a bat position (2B?),
2) getting back later mid round draft picks for next yr,
3) trying to package a SP + Closer to get another ace

heres my full roster:
Batters
C: Carlos Santana (C)
1B: Miguel Cabrera (1B)
2B: Kelly Johnson (2B)
3B: Kevin Youkilis (1B,3B)
SS: Starlin Castro (SS)
OF: Jose Bautista (3B,OF), Justin Upton (OF), Matt Holliday (OF), Curtis Granderson (OF)
Util: Prince Fielder (1B)
BN: Jacoby Ellsbury (OF), Asdrubal Cabrera (SS)
DL: Tsuyoshi Nishioka (2B,SS)

Pitchers
SP: Jon Lester (SP), Mat Latos (SP), Daniel Hudson (SP)
RP: Jose Contreras (RP), Craig Kimbrel (RP)
P: Jordan Walden (RP), Huston Street (RP)
BN: Michael Pineda (SP), Max Scherzer (SP), Jordan Zimmermann (SP), Brandon Beachy (SP), Ricky Nolasco (SP)
DL: Brandon Morrow (SP), Stephen Strasburg (SP)
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:59 am

I'm not a big Ellsbury fan.
Latos innings spike is a concern.
I wouldn't keep 5 closers. Include Francisco or Contreras in a deal.
I would try for a big young OF like McCutchen, Kemp, Stanton.
You have 4 good young upside SP.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby cs3 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:42 am

Ive been trying to trade granderson like mad. so far a bit of interest but all deals have fallen though. so if i cant move him would you try to package the closer with bautista or ellsbury next?

Bautista is obv more valuable and will prob bring back a much bigger return... but do i want to lose his HR/RBI in an OBP league?
Also if i do trade Ellsbury i would almost HAVE to target either Kemp or McC just to stay competitive in SB, right?

And Kemp is at his high all time high value right now, so trying to acquire him will be costly... not the best timing.

And Stanton will be a stud, but is he really better than Bautista? Bautista has done it already before, is doing it again this year, and plays in a better lineup and way more HR friendly park.

So that leaves McCutchen, who i love. Only problem is that the guy who owns him is one of my friends, an he has a huge hardon for Cutch... owns him in every league hes in.
what to do what to do
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SleuterBomber » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:47 am

cs3 wrote:Ive been trying to trade granderson like mad. so far a bit of interest but all deals have fallen though. so if i cant move him would you try to package the closer with bautista or ellsbury next?

Bautista is obv more valuable and will prob bring back a much bigger return... but do i want to lose his HR/RBI in an OBP league?
Also if i do trade Ellsbury i would almost HAVE to target either Kemp or McC just to stay competitive in SB, right?

And Kemp is at his high all time high value right now, so trying to acquire him will be costly... not the best timing.

And Stanton will be a stud, but is he really better than Bautista? Bautista has done it already before, is doing it again this year, and plays in a better lineup and way more HR friendly park.

So that leaves McCutchen, who i love. Only problem is that the guy who owns him is one of my friends, an he has a huge hardon for Cutch... owns him in every league hes in.
what to do what to do

What about going after a guy like Justin Upton? I think he'll end up in the running for NL MVP and will have a huge year. I'd give up Ellsbury + a closer for him in a heartbeat.

EDIT - my bad, you have him!
SleuterBomber
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby cs3 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:46 pm

haha ya i snapped up J.Up in the draft.
between him in the 6th round, and Youk in the 7th(!) rd I have a couple of unbelievable keeper values locked in for the next several yrs.
and if strasburg comes back strong next yr (20th rd) i may have an unstoppable team
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions