John Axford for Kendrys Morales - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

John Axford for Kendrys Morales

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

John Axford for Kendrys Morales

Postby SleuterBomber » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:41 am

Hello everyone, new to the site.

12 team ESPN league, H-to-H, standard 5x5 cats. Very competitive league.

I am being offered Kendrys Morales for my John Axford. This seems like a no brainer, but I'm worried about Kendrys Morales. When healthy he can flat out rake, but the guy can't even run the bases yet. He is targeting an early May return, but even if everything goes according to plan, he hasn't played baseball in months. He's way behind other guys and it should take awhile to get his timing and swing down against major league pitching.

With that said, I have a lot of depth at closer so maybe I should take this trade and stash Morales away to bolster my lineup later on?

My team:

C - Carlos Santana
1B - Albert Pujols
2B - Dustin Pedroia
3B - Kevin Youkilis
SS - Jimmy Rollins
2B/SS - Howard Kendrick
1B/3B - Billy Butler
OF - Justin Upton
OF - Jay Bruce
OF - Tyler Colvin
OF - Cameron Maybin
OF - David Murphy
Util - Travis Hafner
BN - Carlos Pena

P - Jonathan Broxton
P - John Axford
P - Joel Hanrahan
P - David Aardsma (DL)
P - Max Scherzer
P - Ted Lilly
P - Jordan Zimmerman
P - Michael Pineda
P - Jorge De La Rosa
BN - Justin Masterson
BN - Madison Bumgarner
DL - Frank Francisco

I realize my pitching is unproven, but this was my plan going into the draft. I'm a strong believer in drafting offense early and often and worrying about pitching later on. As you can see I have 5 closers (2 of whom are hurt), so Axford for Morales seems like a good idea, but I'm iffy on pulling the trigger.

What do you guys think?
SleuterBomber
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: John Axford for Kendrys Morales

Postby kab21 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:41 am

It might be a good upside move but I'm very concerned about Morales and would probably pass. It's getting close to one year since he injured his ankle and he's still having problems. First he has to make it back but then he still has to be productive.

But you NEED to get another OF'er. Starting Colvin and Maybin is going to make you cry soon. Murphy isn't that great also.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 166)

Postby SleuterBomber » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:44 am

kab21 wrote:It might be a good upside move but I'm very concerned about Morales and would probably pass. It's getting close to one year since he injured his ankle and he's still having problems. First he has to make it back but then he still has to be productive.

But you NEED to get another OF'er. Starting Colvin and Maybin is going to make you cry soon. Murphy isn't that great also.

I agree on my OF, but the rest of my offense is superior to any other in the league. I'm comfortable where I am right now, but would love for Pena to get hot so I can move him for an OF. I'm waiting for guys like Domonic Brown and Desmond Jennings to get the call and hope for 15/15 years from them. In a knowledgeable league with 5 OF spots and an extra MI and CI spot, it is hard pressed to fill out an entire roster with players without one or two giving you a headache. I was hoping for 20-25 HR production from Colvin and some SB upside from Maybin. Not all hope is lost yet!
SleuterBomber
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby kab21 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:08 am

SleuterBomber wrote:
kab21 wrote:It might be a good upside move but I'm very concerned about Morales and would probably pass. It's getting close to one year since he injured his ankle and he's still having problems. First he has to make it back but then he still has to be productive.

I agree on my OF, but the rest of my offense is superior to any other in the league. I'm comfortable where I am right now, but would love for Pena to get hot so I can move him for an OF. I'm waiting for guys like Domonic Brown and Desmond Jennings to get the call and hope for 15/15 years from them. In a knowledgeable league with 5 OF spots and an extra MI and CI spot, it is hard pressed to fill out an entire roster with players without one or two giving you a headache. I was hoping for 20-25 HR production from Colvin and some SB upside from Maybin. Not all hope is lost yet!

But I'm kind of getting at the fact that you have a lot of depth at 1B/CI/UT and Morales won't add a lot unless he comes back at 100%. But I have my doubts. And you have big potential holes in the OF if guys disappoint or get injured. If I was trading from depth (closers) then I would go after an OF'er. Even a Luke Scott type can hold down the fort if something happens to one of your guys.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby SleuterBomber » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:36 am

kab21 wrote:
SleuterBomber wrote:

But I'm kind of getting at the fact that you have a lot of depth at 1B/CI/UT and Morales won't add a lot unless he comes back at 100%. But I have my doubts. And you have big potential holes in the OF if guys disappoint or get injured. If I was trading from depth (closers) then I would go after an OF'er. Even a Luke Scott type can hold down the fort if something happens to one of your guys.

I don't really have depth at 1B/CI/UT. I have exactly one player that can fill in for 1B or CI, and that is Carlos Pena. Other than that I have no depth there either. We are only given 3 bench spots so it doesn't leave room to have very much depth on offense unless I leave myself thin in the pitching department.

Anyways, your opinion on Morales is that you have your doubts, as do I. I'm going to continue to consider this though. I'm hoping I can work out a deal for an OF of some sort before a CI, but I'm going to take the best value available. Hopefully Morales receives a positive update sometime soon.
SleuterBomber
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:33 am

I think you have to take the gamble on this deal... Morales, if healthy, would provide you a big time bat that it worth much more then Axford could ever hope to be.
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby yoda87 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:29 am

I agree with the guy above. I take Kendry's stats over the saves the Axford would provide. Saves are everywhere, Kendry's aren't...
I guess there was no curse... Boston just sucked for 86 years...
yoda87
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kab21 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:11 pm

yoda87 wrote:I agree with the guy above. I take Kendry's stats over the saves the Axford would provide. Saves are everywhere, Kendry's aren't...

I'm afraid that the Kendrys that put up those stats is gone for awhile. It's almost been a year and he is still having problem with his foot. That's not good imo.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby SleuterBomber » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:03 pm

I appreciate the responses everyone.
SleuterBomber
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor