Rate your trade - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Rate your trade

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rate your trade

Postby Kafka » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:12 pm

hey guys!

If you don't know if the trade is fair or not - there's a pretty good site to analyse trades and arbitration. It's free and you don't need to register (+it's very helpful)

http://www.tradebashers.com/

While other sites feature “expert” opinions or simple stat comparisons TradeBashers.com opens the market evaluation to those who are actually in the marketplace-fantasy sports managers. Whether you want to evaluate a trade offer you’ve received or just see what you might be able to get for one of the players riding your bench TradeBashers.com can give you the numbers to help you make the most profitable decisions when making fantasy trades.

-this is not an add-
It would be nice to know what you did with our advice - so please write a short reply
Kafka
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rate your trade

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:37 pm

I dunno... checked it out, and it's a neat idea, but context is key in trades. The situation - league settings, managers, team needs, roster size/depth - really matters in trades. Doing a simple "which side do you prefer?" with a few words about the league size/settings really doesn't give you much context for evaluating a trade. And I'm not sure how you would even use that information. I mean, what do you do, reject a trade and say "well 73% of people on this site would rather have your side, so this isn't fair." Um, OK. So what?
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 33)

Postby Kafka » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:20 am

You can post your lineup and other important stuff in the "rant" section, it's not meant to write screeds - it's more a quick help to evaluate trades (besides that, many members/guests of this site are posting trades with the same deficient information/context - nothing against café, I like it!) .

it's true that you don't get a detailed answer to your question but often owners don't need a detailed answer- they just need to know, should I do this trade or not...or is this trade fair or not?

I mean, what do you do, reject a trade and say "well 73% of people on this site would rather have your side, so this isn't fair."
yes ;-D or you can say- add another player,... plus you can evaluate your own offers (many questions with: is this too much to offer...).

It's more of a guidance to help you and to overthink some trades. I think it's really helpful.
It would be nice to know what you did with our advice - so please write a short reply
Kafka
College Coach
College Coach

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:16 pm

I'm just trying to wrap my head around a situation where I'd actually make use of the information. I grant you that it would be "interesting" to know what a bunch of strangers thought of a deal that didn't involve them, will never involve them, and they spent less than 10 seconds thinking about. I just don't see it ever influencing my opinion.

I mean, if I proposed a trade and someone came back and said "hey, 68% of people on tradebashers.com wanted your side of the deal, so I'm rejecting," I would probably look elsewhere for trading partners. I mean, jeez, have an opinion once in awhile.

Kafka wrote:it's true that you don't get a detailed answer to your question but often owners don't need a detailed answer- they just need to know, should I do this trade or not...or is this trade fair or not?

But if a trade is unbalanced enough that you just need a quick answer, that's really something you need to be able to pick up on, and stand by, on your own. Sometimes I see something like, "HELP!! Trade my Mark Reynolds and Huston Street for Evan Longoria????" I mean, the answer is yes. You don't need people to vote on that, and unless you've got some crazy settings that's always going to be a good deal. What I suspect a lot of people who post that want is a pat on the back, like "oh, man, killer trade, you won big!"

Anyway. My point is if you need a quick answer, it's the kind of question that you should be able to answer yourself.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 33)

Postby abrage22 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:34 pm

Awesome, thanks ;-D

Looks like a really helpful site
abrage22
General Manager