Game of Thrones (definite book spoilers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Game of Thrones (definite book spoilers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby jfg » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:25 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:I haven't read the last few pages because of this, but are there going to be book spoilers in this thread? If so, I'll just avoid it completely.

I've avoided it as much as possible because of the spoilers. I'm not even sure they are spoilers, but there's been a lot of talk about the books so I'm assuming it.

Bigken, I think your stream was off because it wasn't played during the show as I recall. Very odd choice to have The Hold Steady cover that song, it came from out of nowhere and didn't really fit with the atmosphere of the show. Hope they don't do that again. I like the Hold Steady, but that was strange.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bleach168 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:32 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:I haven't read the last few pages because of this, but are there going to be book spoilers in this thread? If so, I'll just avoid it completely.

Avoid Avoid Avoid
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:38 pm

bigken117 wrote:so was their random music playing with less than 2 minutes to go during the ending when that thing happened on HBO?, or did I get lucky with the stream I found :-{

I had it recorded on my DVR. The rock version of The Bear and the Maiden Fair didn't start playing until the credits rolled. I did catch it on Youtube in which the song overlapped the final scene, which just made a bizarre moment even more bizarre.

bleach168 wrote:I can only handle one WTF moment per episode. Didn't like the music at the end, it seemed too jarring. Also didn't like Stannis being completely out of character.

I actually laughed out loud when the credits rolled because of the juxtaposition. The song choice - or at least the style of song - wasn't fitting since this was a turning point in Jaime's character.

Definitely agreed about Stannis.

Probably. I try to avoid saying what happens or what will happen in the book, but at times I'll allude to something from the book.

I'd definitely avoid if you plan on reading the books.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 674)

Postby bleach168 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:42 pm

Seems I watched the bad version where the song started before the scene ended. I'm fine with a rock song being played during the credits. My faith in the TV show is restored.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby bigken117 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:24 pm

just caught last week's episode. 8-o 8-o

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby bleach168 » Tue May 07, 2013 4:50 pm

Gotta rant about the deviations from the books.

Are we going to have 2 seasons of Theon being tortured? By the time we are introduced to Reek, no one will give a crap about him. Ramsay, otoh, should be supreme villain by then.
Gendry is now taking Edric's place. I'm okay with this, but it does make Thoros look pretty bad. Don't see how Gendry can return to the Brotherhood after he is saved.
The Varys and Lady Olenna plot to try to save Sansa, but then Littlefinger wins that battle and even rubs it in Varys' face. Makes Varys look weak.
What was the point of Ros again?
Introducing Jojen and Meera late and then trying to develop their characters by having Meera catfight with Osha is only going to make us like them less.
The Blackfish has no personality and Edmure is a doofus. These two guys probably have a much bigger role down the line, but so far their characters are so shallow.
What about Mance's wife and baby? That will play an important role later on.

Melissandra saying that she will see Arya again? Oooooh, what does that mean??
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed May 08, 2013 10:57 pm

Someone should change the thread title to say book spoilers are OK.

I like the Theon/Ramsay storyline so far. I also hope they don't draw out the torture/mind games Ramsay plays on Theon for next season. Worse yet if Theon isn't cast for next year until Reek comes back for the ADWD season.

Regarding Gendry, it seems far-fetched for Melisandre to travel to the Riverlands for a sacrificial victim.

I'm somewhat let down by the portrayal of Littlefinger. I think he's written as an outright villain whereas book Littlefinger remained a treacherous character, but there was a subtlety in his cunning. It would be less of a surprise when it's revealed Littlefinger was behind everything that happened.

I never got the point of Ros, but at least, she could've taken the role of Ser Dontos (though he did appear in the Season 2 premiere) if Littlefinger was going to have her eventually taken out.

Funny thing is, I forgot about Val, Dalla, and Mance's baby. My guess is we won't see them until when the Wildlings assault the Wall en masse.

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bleach168 » Thu May 09, 2013 6:21 pm

Season 1 - very faithful to the books. Loved it.
Season 2 - somewhat faithful to the books. Enjoyed it.
Season 3 - not very much like the books. Trying to deal with it.

I'm somewhat let down by the portrayal of Littlefinger. I think he's written as an outright villain whereas book Littlefinger remained a treacherous character, but there was a subtlety in his cunning. It would be less of a surprise when it's revealed Littlefinger was behind everything that happened.

One of my favorite chapters is the one where Littlefinger marries Lysa. He is charming, funny, and a gentlemen. I know that scene will get butchered on the TV show.

After the last episode where they changed just about everything, I fear they will screw up red wedding.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon May 20, 2013 1:45 am

bleach168 wrote:After the last episode where they changed just about everything, I fear they will screw up red wedding.

I think they'll do RW right. The buildup towards it is disappointing though. Catelyn is an afterthought in most of her scenes, which is a bit ironic because she's portrayed as more likable and sentimental in the series. Robb is needlessly crazy like a fox. The Talisa scenes are unnecessary and I wonder if it's revealed if she's a spy, does Roose's sending regards bit (I hope not), or just takes on Dacey Mormont's role. Oh, and I hope Blackfish isn't a substitute for Smalljon Umber.

I'd like to see the RW episode mostly concentrated on RW. Perhaps not given the full episode treatment as Blackwater, but enough to build that nagging sense of foreboding.

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby bleach168 » Mon May 20, 2013 7:53 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
bleach168 wrote:After the last episode where they changed just about everything, I fear they will screw up red wedding.

I think they'll do RW right. The buildup towards it is disappointing though. Catelyn is an afterthought in most of her scenes, which is a bit ironic because she's portrayed as more likable and sentimental in the series. Robb is needlessly crazy like a fox. The Talisa scenes are unnecessary and I wonder if it's revealed if she's a spy, does Roose's sending regards bit (I hope not), or just takes on Dacey Mormont's role. Oh, and I hope Blackfish isn't a substitute for Smalljon Umber.

I'd like to see the RW episode mostly concentrated on RW. Perhaps not given the full episode treatment as Blackwater, but enough to build that nagging sense of foreboding.

Cat IS an afterthought.
Robb is clearly dumb and unlikeable.
No Mormonts.
No Umbers.
No Manderleys.
No Mallisters.
No Pipers.
Who's Grey Wind, again?

The viewership has given up on the King of the North because the TV producers gave up on him by surrounding him with bullys, buffoons, rebellious bannerman and possibly spies. (Not to mention everyone in King's landing has already dismissed Robb and is trying to marry Sansa) TV Robb is just a trainwreck in slow motion. At this point in the book, he's still a major player with a huge, loyal army.

It just won't have the same impact.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk