Game of Thrones (definite book spoilers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Game of Thrones (definite book spoilers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:52 pm

bleach168 wrote:I hope he does get introduced. Part of the reason why you split book 3 into two seasons is so you don't leave out the fun stuff.

I was pretty disappointed they didn't introduce the Reed siblings in season 2, but am glad they are arriving in season 3.

I could see that it was tough to squeeze in the Reeds last season. Bran's talks with Jojen about their foreshadowing dreams would have spoiled the shock of one particular ending.

On that note, I was kind of peeved Reek and the Bastard of Bolton weren't introduced last year. They just concentrated on Theon trying too hard to be a more despicable git than Joffrey. That, and the Tickler being killed off too early and by the wrong person.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 660)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:36 am

I don't think that Reek and the Bastard have a big role until much later, like a dance with dragons or thereabouts. I could do without Reek completely. I did not like this storyline at all and if they want to shorten things I would vote taking out Reek and Bolton's bastard. Just give him a grisly death and get him out of the show.

I'm also not disappointed to see less of the Reeds. That story is great in the books but on the screen I can see it being really really slow and boring.

Give me more of Jamie and Brienne. Spend a lot of time on Oberyn Martell and as much of Dorne as possible and spend 2 episodes on the Red Wedding.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:19 am

A couple of unnecessary scenes aside, I thought this second episode was an improvement. I wonder if those who haven't read the third book yet found the episode rushed though.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bleach168 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:03 pm

Yeah, the second episode was much more entertaining. Maybe it was because of all those extra scenes that weren't in the book. For a huge fan like me, anything new is exciting. I am surprised to say I really like Catelyn's scene.

It will be interesting to see how they develop Ramsay seeing as how they are doing it completely different than the books. I hope he ends up as clever and as despicable. It's a smart move, as Theon doesn't really do anything until book 5.

Spend a lot of time on Oberyn Martell and as much of Dorne as possible and spend 2 episodes on the Red Wedding.

You might get your wish Mookie. They are already past 20 chapters, which is 1/4 of the book.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:24 pm

I liked Catelyn's scene. It was a bit over the top regarding how much she loathed Jon out of spite for Ned's adultery, but I think it fits well with her state of mind and her stubbornness not to accept Jon. The series sheds her in a more sympathetic light than the books IMO and more empathetic leading up to the big moment.

Ramsay's revelation to Theon before the Sack of Winterfell in A Clash of Kings was a pretty frightening scene and a highlight in the book. For the TV series, I suppose it'll be presented differently.

As for Oberyn Martell, my guess is he features next season. His big scene takes place much later in the book. Plus, with everything feeling condensed this season, it would make more sense to start factoring in the Dornish characters for next season.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby bleach168 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:54 pm

I'm curious why Missandei is portrayed by an adult actress. Call it wishful thinking, but I see Missandei and Danerys getting it on.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:16 am

That ending... WTF. :-b
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby bigken117 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:46 am

so was their random music playing with less than 2 minutes to go during the ending when that thing happened on HBO?, or did I get lucky with the stream I found :-{

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 250)

Postby bleach168 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:40 pm

I can only handle one WTF moment per episode. Didn't like the music at the end, it seemed too jarring. Also didn't like Stannis being completely out of character.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:05 pm

I haven't read the last few pages because of this, but are there going to be book spoilers in this thread? If so, I'll just avoid it completely.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk