Game of Thrones (definite book spoilers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Game of Thrones (definite book spoilers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby teddy ballgame » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:15 pm

bigken117 wrote:Is book 1 season 1, book 2 season 2 etc ...

I haven't read the books but I've heard that book 3 is being broken into 2 seasons.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:20 pm

The first seven or so episodes of Season 2 were borderline snore fests, IMO. The season picked up in the last few and was awesome setting up the winter that is about to come, but I hope there's more happening in Season 3 (and it certainly appears to be the case).
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby bigken117 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:44 pm

random

I read The Two Towers after I saw LOTR to get me ready for it, and it was so far off I hated the movie, so I didn't read the Return of the King just so I'd enjoy it for what it is.

Has anyone who read these felt this way about the series? For example, I remember thinking there was no way they'd let Eddard be beheaded and thought perhaps Arya would make it there and stop it in time. Or knowing what Bran was climbing into, and that Jamie wasn't going to push Bran off the window. That's what TV wants you to think. Did knowing what was going to happen sort of take the anticipation out of it? Or other things missing/not as good?

I know in general books are better than movies, but I wouldn't mind getting ahead unless it was going to ruin something I currently enjoy.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:50 pm

bigken117 wrote:random

I read The Two Towers after I saw LOTR to get me ready for it, and it was so far off I hated the movie, so I didn't read the Return of the King just so I'd enjoy it for what it is.

Has anyone who read these felt this way about the series? For example, I remember thinking there was no way they'd let Eddard be beheaded and thought perhaps Arya would make it there and stop it in time. Or knowing what Bran was climbing into, and that Jamie wasn't going to push Bran off the window. That's what TV wants you to think. Did knowing what was going to happen sort of take the anticipation out of it? Or other things missing/not as good?

I know in general books are better than movies, but I wouldn't mind getting ahead unless it was going to ruin something I currently enjoy.

My girlfriend has been reading ahead before watching and it doesn't seem to have affected her enjoyment of the show. However, I did try to start reading the books after having seen the first two seasons and I just couldn't get into them because I knew exactly what was happening. Apparently the second season of the show does have some pretty significant differences from the book though.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:14 pm

No. Having read the books I knew all of the characters and didnt have to worry about who everybody was and why so and so was trying to kill whathisname and I could just concentrate on the great production. I have heard from others that the number of characters and subplots made following the show difficult and so took away the action. It's probably lessened watching them all at once like you did.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby bigken117 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:44 am

Mookie4ever wrote:

No. Having read the books I knew all of the characters and didnt have to worry about who everybody was and why so and so was trying to kill whathisname and I could just concentrate on the great production. I have heard from others that the number of characters and subplots made following the show difficult and so took away the action. It's probably lessened watching them all at once like you did.

I gotta say, at the end of episode 1 I was like "who's he Mod Editing? Is that the queen?" I wasn't even positive at the time. Having read the books in that regard would have made the show easier to watch

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:58 am

bigken117 wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:

I gotta say, at the end of episode 1 I was like "who's he Mod Editing? Is that the queen?" I wasn't even positive at the time. Having read the books in that regard would have made the show easier to watch
I think reading the books would've made keeping up with all the characters easier. I watched all 10 episodes of Season 1 in like 2 days which really helped. Had I been watching week to week I could see forgetting a lot of tertiary characters' names/roles. As it is I have nicknames for half the characters to keep them straight. It's more or less similar to this (not linking as an image, cause there's a curse word at the end).
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:15 am

bigh0rt wrote:
bigken117 wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:

I think reading the books would've made keeping up with all the characters easier. I watched all 10 episodes of Season 1 in like 2 days which really helped. Had I been watching week to week I could see forgetting a lot of tertiary characters' names/roles. As it is I have nicknames for half the characters to keep them straight. It's more or less similar to this (not linking as an image, cause there's a curse word at the end).

Tonks! Of course. I see it now.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:53 am

Mookie4ever wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
bigken117 wrote:

Tonks! Of course. I see it now.
I much prefer in Game...Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:58 am

They forgot

Pimp

Met...I mean eunuch
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk