Game of Thrones (definite book spoilers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Game of Thrones (definite book spoilers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby thedude » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:34 pm

Wow HBO dodged having to film that battle seen in a pretty weak manner.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:57 pm

thedude wrote:Wow HBO dodged having to film that battle seen in a pretty weak manner.

With a bigger budget next year, I'm sure that will change.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 85)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:57 pm

thedude wrote:Wow HBO dodged having to film that battle seen in a pretty weak manner.

seeing as how it wasn't as much of a battle as it was a massacre and that they didn't want us to know that it was just a diversion, it makes sense that they didn't show it.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 812)

Postby thedude » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:25 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:

seeing as how it wasn't as much of a battle as it was a massacre and that they didn't want us to know that it was just a diversion, it makes sense that they didn't show it.

It was in the book (with Tyrion playing a role in the outcome), but I imagine even showing a small segment of a battle scene would eat up too much of the budget.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby thedude » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:33 pm

Spoiler alert:

Some people are idiots.

“The only reason we watched [Game of Thrones] was for Sean Bean,” groused EW reader Steve. “Way to go HBO, time to switch to Showtime.”

That’s a pretty common reaction among some viewers after watching Sunday’s episode of HBO’s fantasy series, especially among those who didn’t read the Thrones novel by George R. R. Martin. With the show’s ninth hour taking the unprecedented step of killing off a drama series’ main character (and its best known actor) in the first season, some fans are threatening to never watch the program again.

“Most of you who think this was some sort of brilliant move or something don’t understand the difference between a book audience and a TV audience,” argued EW reader Tamcamry. “TV audiences need to invest in characters. Most of the other characters I don’t care much about. While the show will probably still appeal to the ‘wow’ crowd, it’s mass appeal just got beheaded.”

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/06/13/game- ... -reaction/

Stark is killed in the book (I believe even earlier than in the HBO series). How is HBO supposed to keep a character alive for multiple seasons, when the whole plot of those seasons would not be possible if he were alive? These people were enjoying the story, but now they want HBO to completely abandon that story and just start making up stuff from scratch?
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mweir145 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:39 pm

As someone who has never read the books, that twist only made me want to watch the show/read the books more. And that's pretty much the same for everybody else I know, everyone is hooked. So I can't really understand where those people are coming from.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 85)

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:18 pm

If writers are upset over Ned's death wait until the Red Wedding :-b

At least half of the main characters die in the first 2 books. But the great thing is that there are excellent characters to take their places. Soon we will meet Stanis and Melysandre and the Onion Knight. Little Bran will take a larger role, Theon will go off on his own and get his own storyline as will Sir Barristan. The great thing about reading the books beforehand is that you know what characters to invest in and which to not.

For people who read the books what do you think about them making Renly and Loras gay? Why did they need to do that?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby wake » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:44 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:For people who read the books what do you think about them making Renly and Loras gay? Why did they need to do that?

They're gay in the books too, it's just very subtle.

I didn't catch it as I read through the books until someone else pointed it out.
wake
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby joejlitz » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:46 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:At least half of the main characters die in the first 2 books. But the great thing is that there are excellent characters to take their places.

I actually prefer to see the surprise of a main character's death, if it means that equally developed/interesting characters will take their place.
joejlitz
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:03 am

wake wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:For people who read the books what do you think about them making Renly and Loras gay? Why did they need to do that?

They're gay in the books too, it's just very subtle.

I didn't catch it as I read through the books until someone else pointed it out.

Really? I remember them being dandies but not gay. Renly was with Margary the entire story. Loras certainly never went down on him, that was a little much imo. I don't like the entire storyline and don't really like the Tyrells at all. It feels like he put very strong characters on all the borders, the North, the Iron Isles, Storm's end and Dorne all have great characters with a lot of depth to the families, then he noticed that he middle was empty so he shoehorned in the Tyrells and even the Tullys. I can't wait until Theon gets back to the Iron Isles, that's going to be very cool.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk