Game of Thrones (definite book spoilers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Game of Thrones (definite book spoilers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby J35J » Tue May 21, 2013 9:12 am

bleach168 wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
bleach168 wrote:After the last episode where they changed just about everything, I fear they will screw up red wedding.

I think they'll do RW right. The buildup towards it is disappointing though. Catelyn is an afterthought in most of her scenes, which is a bit ironic because she's portrayed as more likable and sentimental in the series. Robb is needlessly crazy like a fox. The Talisa scenes are unnecessary and I wonder if it's revealed if she's a spy, does Roose's sending regards bit (I hope not), or just takes on Dacey Mormont's role. Oh, and I hope Blackfish isn't a substitute for Smalljon Umber.

I'd like to see the RW episode mostly concentrated on RW. Perhaps not given the full episode treatment as Blackwater, but enough to build that nagging sense of foreboding.

Cat IS an afterthought.
Robb is clearly dumb and unlikeable.
No Mormonts.
No Umbers.
No Manderleys.
No Mallisters.
No Pipers.
Who's Grey Wind, again?

The viewership has given up on the King of the North because the TV producers gave up on him by surrounding him with bullys, buffoons, rebellious bannerman and possibly spies. (Not to mention everyone in King's landing has already dismissed Robb and is trying to marry Sansa) TV Robb is just a trainwreck in slow motion. At this point in the book, he's still a major player with a huge, loyal army.

It just won't have the same impact.

Did anyone really think they'd be able to turn this massive series of books into a tv series that came close to it...it's just too massive a project unless they did like 2 seasons of the show per book or something.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 621)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bleach168 » Tue May 21, 2013 9:23 pm

J35J wrote:
bleach168 wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
I think they'll do RW right. The buildup towards it is disappointing though. Catelyn is an afterthought in most of her scenes, which is a bit ironic because she's portrayed as more likable and sentimental in the series. Robb is needlessly crazy like a fox. The Talisa scenes are unnecessary and I wonder if it's revealed if she's a spy, does Roose's sending regards bit (I hope not), or just takes on Dacey Mormont's role. Oh, and I hope Blackfish isn't a substitute for Smalljon Umber.

I'd like to see the RW episode mostly concentrated on RW. Perhaps not given the full episode treatment as Blackwater, but enough to build that nagging sense of foreboding.

Cat IS an afterthought.
No Mormonts.
No Umbers.
No Manderleys.
No Mallisters.
No Pipers.
Who's Grey Wind, again?

The viewership has given up on the King of the North because the TV producers gave up on him by surrounding him with bullys, buffoons, rebellious bannerman and possibly spies. (Not to mention everyone in King's landing has already dismissed Robb and is trying to marry Sansa) TV Robb is just a trainwreck in slow motion. At this point in the book, he's still a major player with a huge, loyal army.

Did anyone really think they'd be able to turn this massive series of books into a tv series that came close to it...it's just too massive a project unless they did like 2 seasons of the show per book or something.

And yet they felt the need to add a ton material that wasn't in the book. :-?
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 52)

Postby J35J » Tue May 21, 2013 10:53 pm

bleach168 wrote:
J35J wrote:
bleach168 wrote:
Cat IS an afterthought.
No Mormonts.
No Umbers.
No Manderleys.
No Mallisters.
No Pipers.
Who's Grey Wind, again?

And yet they felt the need to add a ton material that wasn't in the book. :-?

Is that really a surprise too? Rarely do movies/series live up to books.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 621)

Re: Game of Thrones (definite book spoilers)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed May 22, 2013 1:44 am

It's understandable the TV adaptation will have some changes best suited for TV than in the books (not to mention, budget reasons). There's just some unnecessary tweaks and additions which change the continuity and quality of the series as a whole.

I still enjoy the TV series and the books as separate entities, but of course, it's inevitable to compare and contrast the two.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 454)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:30 pm

I don't think Red Wedding was perfect on screen, but goodness gracious did it ever deliver. It was a terrific adaptation all in all. Talisa and unborn baby getting stabbed to death added more power to it.

I'll nitpick about the lack of the "boom doom" drum. It would've been cool if the drum kept going as Catelyn tried to bargain with Walder Frey until the end. Catelyn didn't go absolutely mad at the end, as that would have just completed the most traumatizing chapter in the story in haunting fashion.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bleach168 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:09 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:I don't think Red Wedding was perfect on screen, but goodness gracious did it ever deliver. It was a terrific adaptation all in all. Talisa and unborn baby getting stabbed to death added more power to it.

I'll nitpick about the lack of the "boom doom" drum. It would've been cool if the drum kept going as Catelyn tried to bargain with Walder Frey until the end. Catelyn didn't go absolutely mad at the end, as that would have just completed the most traumatizing chapter in the story in haunting fashion.

Personally would have liked it better if Cat shredded her face at the end. Would have loved it if the Hound had "killed" Arya. But they did hit on all the major points pretty well.

Though, don't know what happened with the Blackfish. Either he stayed, fought and died which doesn't jibe with the books, or he fled which doesn't jibe with his character.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:29 pm

bleach168 wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:I don't think Red Wedding was perfect on screen, but goodness gracious did it ever deliver. It was a terrific adaptation all in all. Talisa and unborn baby getting stabbed to death added more power to it.

Personally would have liked it better if Cat shredded her face at the end. Would have loved it if the Hound had "killed" Arya. But they did hit on all the major points pretty well.

Though, don't know what happened with the Blackfish. Either he stayed, fought and died which doesn't jibe with the books, or he fled which doesn't jibe with his character.

My guess is Blackfish will somehow flee to Riverrun and we'll eventually have the Siege of Riverrun, which could be next season or the season after that.

I'm unsure if Catelyn raking her face would translate well on screen. I can see why the producers had gone with Catelyn's catatonic state, but I also agree it would have been cool if she raked her face and absolutely had gone insane. I suppose Lady Stoneheart will be a little bit prettier than in the books.

I'm pretty sure The Hound "killing" Arya did not make sense for TV. There's more leeway in the book to be ambiguous about certain things and leave Arya's fate on a cliffhanger. Also, The Hound seems somewhat kinder in his exchanges with Arya on TV. That said, I would have liked to see more chaos in the camps, which would have left Sandor to fend off a few Freys and Arya so close to entering the castle before Sandor saves her.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby bleach168 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:23 pm

Agreed about Stannis. They totally ruined his character. And they ruined his moment at the wall too by announcing it so early. Ruins Davos too since he is now a really poor judge of character.

Glad they didn't include Lady Stoneheart. You really want Cat's death to sink in for more than a week. They should have shown her body getting dumped in the river though.

Really frustrated with the perfect angels Shae and Tyrion. But if Tyrion "shockingly" kills her like he is supposed to, I'm okay with that.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:48 pm

I really really hope that they cut Lady Stoenheart out of the series. She really isn't needed in the books or the show and I'm not fond of the actress. Knowing how many more storylines are going to arise I would rather the show concentrate on a few of them and abandon others.

The next season is going to have a number of climaxes. Joffrey's wedding, Stannis's battle at the wall and of course the finale with Tyrion proving that Tywin doesn't shit gold. The best will of course be the Red Viper's duel with the Mountain.

They have to follow Dany farting around on another continent not really doing anything for 2 more books and I would like to see Dorne and the Sand Snakes and I want Oberyn Martell to be a central character for the little while that he is in the story. With all of this they can cut Catelyn out of the series and I would be happy.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby Curtis Pride » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:33 pm

Not a book reader (don't care about spoilers), but I admit, I'm also kind of done with the Starks and wouldn't mind if they left that whole character/story line on the cutting room floor. Though love Arya and really looking forward to her growth the next few seasons.

Looking at this thread, it seemed like episode #4 was where the show really veered from the book and that disappointed some people. Episode #4 for me was the best show of the series. Just amazing. Had Jaime getting pushed in the mud and drinking the horse urine, Lord Varys uncovering his tormentor in the box, Ramsey's faked Theon escape and Theon breaking down about "his real father died at King's Landing", Dany's awsome takeover of Astapor and freeing of the unsullied.

Just an awesome awesome episode. It had probably 3 or 4 of my favorite 10 scenes throughout the entire series. If they changed from the book, at least from my observation, it wasn't for the worse.

Also, as much as people are kind of crapping on books 4 and 5, maybe changes the TV producers make could be for the better.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk