Game of Thrones (definite book spoilers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Game of Thrones (definite book spoilers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:24 pm

bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:37 pm

:-?

That video has nothing to do with the Game of Thrones. What's the matter with you Hort?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Postby fezzik » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:10 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:

That video has nothing to do with the Game of Thrones. What's the matter with you Hort?

fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:13 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:

I did it to get one specific reply, and fezzik gave it to me. He never lets me down. ;-D Sorry, back to your regularly scheduled programming*

*This is what happens when the Mets get rained out.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Postby fezzik » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:18 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:

I did it to get one specific reply, and fezzik gave it to me. He never lets me down. ;-D Sorry, back to your regularly scheduled programming*

*This is what happens when the Mets get rained out.

I'm glad you liked it. I'm a little unfamiliar with my memes, so I had to make due with a ridiculous photo of the author and hope I implemented it correctly. I was mainly poking fun at myself, but I'm glad you got a kick out of it. Did I do it right? :-b
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby jfg » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:57 pm

jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Tis » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:10 am

fezzik wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:
Tis wrote:I like epic Fantasy, and I've read a lot (Jordan, Goodkind, Tad Williams, Donaldson, Feist, Modesitt, Butcher..., even Sanderson's monstrous new one) but I just cant enjoy these. They are just a downward spiral of misery. Nobody's situation ever improves (ever), and the few likable characters keep getting killed off. It's Lemony Snicket for adults.

I was halfway through the third book, on my second try with the series, when I lost it and threw the thing at a wall. Not going back.

That said, I am curious about the HBO series, but will probably like it better if it DOESN'T hold to the plot much. That's something I don't think I've ever said before.

For fans of high/epic fantasy, if you haven't read Patrick Rothfuss, you are really missing out. The best of the current bunch by far, to my tastes.

Are you joking? You think that Martin is too depressing but you like Thomas Covenant the miserable tale of a luckless leper?

The Martin series is the best fantasy ever written. The story is epic and the characters are very deep. Sure the get killed and there is a creeping doom but winter is coming so they say. If you want it all roses and happy ending stick to disney. The characters develop excellently, for instance Tyrion who started off as an unlikeable wretch has developed into a very sympathetic character and he certainly does improve his station as does Daenyris. I've read the entire series 3 times and will do so again this summer before the release of the next book.

I've read almost all the science fiction and fantasy out there and this is the series that I most highly recommend.

I agree Mook...I've read all of the aforementioned authors. Martin is hands-down the best IMO. The realism and depth of characters aren't typical for the genre, so I can in theory see how it might put some people off...but for me it's the best fantasy series I've ever read without a doubt. It's also written better on a technical level than the other authors mentioned. And the changing of perspectives from chapter to chapter works exceptionally well, even with so many characters.

I haven't read too much in the last 5 years, but if you don't mind branching a bit into Sci-fi I recommend Hyperion by Dan Simmons...but you've probably already read it.

I agree that they are better written than most of the similar books (Jordan and Goodkind especially are atrocious), though Donaldson and Tad Williams are both decent writers. And I love Martin's setting and he has a decent ability when it comes to developing characters (there are too many of them for my taste, but Jordan was far far worse), really its just the never ending spiral of misery that bothers me.

I've read some of Simmons, but like Clarke, they're a little too dense for the casual entertainment reading I'm usually looking for in my book time. Which may be part of my problem with Martin, I'm not looking for Anna Karenina here, I'm looking for Treasure Island. (Side note on the Sci-Fi front, since Hyperion sort of takes it into that genre, I've been reading a bunch of McDevitt lately and really enjoying it.)

And Mook, with regard to Kay, yes... having a Lucy Pevencie analog get raped by a mad god was a little traumatic. However, his El Cid story, Lions of Al-Rassan is one of the more hauntingly memorable books I have read, I think I actually had tears in my eyes when I finished (also note that its not just sad endings or tragedy that turns me off, as long as it is well used and balanced.)

It's not so much one instance of sexual luridity that stands out with Martin, it's the quantity and... creativeness. I mean, weddings where all the male celebrants get to take part in deflowering the bride, wtf is this, letters to Penthouse? I understand he's trying to create a different time and culture, but its also quite obvious he enjoys being titillating.

Have you guys read Lev Grossman's The Magicians? Its not to the same epic scale we've been discussing, but quite good.
Tis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:56 am

Here are 2 lists of the greatest sci-fi and fantasy novels of all time
First
Second

I've read about half of the books on the first list but most on the second. I find it funny that Terry Brooks would be on any "best of" list so the first list is probably better.

I found this really cool site a while ago What should I read next where you type in the name of a book you like and it recommends something similar. There are some hits and misses in there but I have found a few good ones through this site.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Broncmet724 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:56 am

Who are some other authors you guys like in the fantasy genre?
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:10 am

Broncmet724 wrote:Who are some other authors you guys like in the fantasy genre?

George Martin
Orson Scott Card
Guy Gavriel Kay
Ursula K LeGuin
David Eddings (if you are a teen)

I don't like
Frank Herbert
Anne McCaffrey
Donaldson

Sci-Fi
William Gibson - the best
Philip K Dick
Larry Niven

I don't like
Robert Heinlein (with the exception of this masterpieces Stranger in a Strange land and the Moon is a Harsh Mistress)
Ray Bradbury
Kurt Vonegut

I had nothing to read once and so I stumbled on the Dragonlance series. The fact that it was Dungeons and Dragons made me not take it seriously. Months later and about 25 books later I became a fan of Margaret Weiss. She's good.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk