The Indians O seems to be credible this year

What does everybody think of his prospects for the 2011 campaign
brock middlebrook
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Asdrubal Cabrera thread

Postby thejusman1 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:47 am

Relying on him to shoulder the load in my main money league now that JJ Hardy is gone. I am optimistic that he can have a 15-20 homer season with maybe a .260 average.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby striderex » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:05 pm

I think he can hit 280 or maybe 290
striderex
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby DbacksRback » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:25 pm

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 57)

Postby MTUCache » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:55 pm

I was really high on him last year, getting him on multiple teams, and was really dissapointed to see him miss so much time.

This year, after the forearm injury, I was pretty wary (knowing that guys with wrist surgeries often have even less power the following year). But, he seems to have recovered nicely, and I've already picked him up in one of my leagues since Nishioka got hurt.

Hoping for a big year out of two Indians this season (ACab and Santana)... that may be asking for trouble, but it's working out pretty well so far. :*)
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby brock middlebrook » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:20 pm

thejusman1 wrote:Relying on him to shoulder the load in my main money league now that JJ Hardy is gone. I am optimistic that he can have a 15-20 homer season with maybe a .260 average.

Isn't he .285 lifetime?

Plus he stole like 17 bases year before last
brock middlebrook
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby 047 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:20 pm

I, for one, am glad to see this thread started now instead of late March...would've ruined a real nice draft day upside pick who fell a bit under the radar ;-D

Actually had a long discussion just recently with a fellow manager about Cabrera and why I think we're going to see a breakout season (this was last week, before the last few games). He's got some legitimate things working in his favor:

1. Age - he's in the ideal age range for a sudden progression. Doesn't turn 26 until November but has had nearly 1,500 career AB so has been through the classic adjust-counteradjust game with pitchers already

2. Lineup - the overall lineup isn't the '27 Yanks, but I like his spot at #2. Brantley has upside in terms of on-base skills and obvious speed; also has 2 professional hitters behind him in Choo and Santana

3. Discipline - has demonstrated a reasonable knowledge and command of the strike zone (career OBP: .347) with a walk rate just under 10%

4. History - the old "if he's done it once, he could do it again" argument: we've already seen him hit .308 with 17 SB and 42 doubles in a full season; even at those numbers he's solid

5. Spring - yeah, that's right, spring training baby :-D Usually means nothing, may mean nothing here too...but just saying, he did go .364, 3 HR, 4 SB in 55 AB

I think he essentially duplicates what we've already seen (.285-.295) with some speed, but a lot of those doubles are going to turn into HR this year. My fearless prediction from 2 weeks ago: .300-20-20 wouldn't shock me, nor would it shock me if Choo barely out-produces him in 5x5 value (and even then, probably because of lineup spot).
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby garf112 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:18 pm

047 wrote:I, for one, am glad to see this thread started now instead of late March...would've ruined a real nice draft day upside pick who fell a bit under the radar ;-D

Actually had a long discussion just recently with a fellow manager about Cabrera and why I think we're going to see a breakout season (this was last week, before the last few games). He's got some legitimate things working in his favor:

1. Age - he's in the ideal age range for a sudden progression. Doesn't turn 26 until November but has had nearly 1,500 career AB so has been through the classic adjust-counteradjust game with pitchers already

2. Lineup - the overall lineup isn't the '27 Yanks, but I like his spot at #2. Brantley has upside in terms of on-base skills and obvious speed; also has 2 professional hitters behind him in Choo and Santana

3. Discipline - has demonstrated a reasonable knowledge and command of the strike zone (career OBP: .347) with a walk rate just under 10%

4. History - the old "if he's done it once, he could do it again" argument: we've already seen him hit .308 with 17 SB and 42 doubles in a full season; even at those numbers he's solid

5. Spring - yeah, that's right, spring training baby :-D Usually means nothing, may mean nothing here too...but just saying, he did go .364, 3 HR, 4 SB in 55 AB

I think he essentially duplicates what we've already seen (.285-.295) with some speed, but a lot of those doubles are going to turn into HR this year. My fearless prediction from 2 weeks ago: .300-20-20 wouldn't shock me, nor would it shock me if Choo barely out-produces him in 5x5 value (and even then, probably because of lineup spot).

Not to mention that he is coming off of a wrist injury, which was bothering him all of last year. I think this is the biggest piece that people miss out on. It was the same thing as Vernon Wells at the beginning of last year.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby dmattingly23 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:23 pm

yeah I liked him alot, but another guy who wasn't as under the radar as I would have thought. Alot of people were high on him.

I wanted either him or A. Escobar and of course I got Escobar in most leagues. And now Cabrera's doing great and Escobar can't hit the ball out of the infield.
dmattingly23
College Coach
College Coach

Postby 047 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:44 pm

dmattingly23 wrote:yeah I liked him alot, but another guy who wasn't as under the radar as I would have thought. Alot of people were high on him.

I wanted either him or A. Escobar and of course I got Escobar in most leagues. And now Cabrera's doing great and Escobar can't hit the ball out of the infield.

Surprises me a little...most mock and then actual drafts I did this year, Cabrera certainly wasn't ignored but I didn't see anyone reaching for him, either. Thought he was a nice value pick for this year while some other AL middle infielders got more love as new/bounce-back guys (Nishioka, Hardy, A. Escobar, Yahoo guys seemed to love Brignac, etc.)

As mentioned, the injury last year seemed to stunt (or delay) any growth we might have seen, but he obviously appears healthy now; the fact that he's willing to take a "do some damage" swing in hitters' counts more is encouraging, too. I don't recall too many MI-types who have posted .300+ AVG with 40+ doubles and never turned in a 20+ HR year at some point. Especially not when they posted those numbers at the age of 23.

A. Escobar seems to have a long swing for a guy whose game is built on speed. Obviously I'm no scout :-b , but I have watched 3-4 of the KC games so far and it just looks to the naked eye that he should shorten up a bit. Certainly has the raw tools to develop, though.
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers