Should I Veto this Trade? My Nolasco for J Upton. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Should I Veto this Trade? My Nolasco for J Upton.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Should I Veto this Trade? My Nolasco for J Upton.

Postby phorts » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:35 am

Commish of a 12 team H2H 5x5.

Here's the rub, I made the trade. Dude has Braun, McCutch, Upton and Granderson (amongst others). Tried for Braun and Cutch and he said they werent going anywhere. Told him to make me an offer he sent Grandy for Nolasco. Told him i'd rather give him a better SP for one of his top 3, he said Granderson was his top 3. So i sent Nolasco for Upton (since he was his #4?..lol). He accepted. Trade now sits in inbox for commish approval. I know once I hit the Allow Trade button i'm gunna hear it.

I'm from the school that NEVER vetos trades unless there is known collusion, or if the trade is SO ridiculous that noone in their right mind would have done it (Braun for Nolasco? I dunno). This trade is close. Other manager said he didnt know anyone else on my team (Team in sig). He didnt value Upton hardly (Was benching him all week) and he sent the intitial deal.

On the one hand I feel bad, but on the other i know that crappy deals get done all year long in my league and i just push them through and go "shit, i wish i knew he was that stupid/low on that guy/stupid". So, Is it worth the hassle of should I just veto and send him like a Liriano. But then what if Liriano gets hurt and Nolasco goes on to set career marks (lol..could happen?)

Thanks for the insight. Will help in return if you leave a link.

phorts
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Should I Veto this Trade? My Nolasco for J Upton.

Postby SAFFcommish » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:05 am

In my opinion my schooling background is just like yours in the sense of not veto'in trades unless collusion proves otherwise. In my league we have had trades like that occur but its a money, keeper contract,prospect team, pay for your moves league so their is weight behind each and every move.

In the defense of the owners making the trade why should the league as a whole judge another owners preference and or needs and wants? No collusion identified, send it through. If if it turns out to be lopsided tough luck for the other owner, he will learn the hard way. SOTF (survival of the fittest)
SAFFcommish
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ABA316 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:04 pm

You are an owner as well as a commish and have the same right to make trades as anyone else does in your league. Unfortunately (as I found out as commish), some will try to wave the "you're the commish so you can't do it but I can" flag.

Nolasco has had great years as well. I think the trade does favor you but it's not out of the question that Nolasco can have the better year by history as well..
ABA316
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:27 pm

I applaud the fact that you're trying to be fair, but you shouldn't hold yourself to a different standard (as a manager) than the rest of the league. No collusion, so no veto.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 67)

Postby Whisp » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:56 pm

if you would veto that trade had it not been you, then veto it. if you have any hope of continuing the league after this year.
C-MMontero/Iannetta 1B-Hosmer 2B-Kendrick 3B-MiCabrera/Rolen SS-Rollins
CI-IDavis MI-RRoberts OF-Bruce/Crisp/Hunter/Cain/Rios
SP-Sabathia/ClLee/Wainwright/Pineda/Hellickson/JSantana
RP-Putz/Santiago/Rodney/Lidge/Clippard
Whisp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mzkp54 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:30 am

I don't think it should be vetoed. There was no collusion, and nowhere near lopsided enough to be vetoed in my opinion.
mzkp54
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby shawngee03 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:34 pm

have another manager do the vetoing of all trades involving the commish. that way you dont have to go through this exercise everytime you trade
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Commissioner's Corner