What is the correct punishment? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

What is the correct punishment?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What is the correct punishment?

Postby Fantasy GM » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:08 pm

I am the commish of a H2H points league. During the off-season, I hammered out several gray areas in our league constitution to limit loopholes. The very first rule states that teams must have 1 player at every offensive position (3 for OF), 5 SP, 3 RP and 1 of any other pitcher. Thinking this was simply an informative gesture and not a rule that actually needed to be enforced, I didn't go into detail on punishment if this rule was to be broken. I did write that "invalid" rosters would score 0 points for that day, but the rule was more towards having a full 23 players on the roster and not harboring DL players).

When I reminded teams of this requirement, the two teams who were currently breaking the rule complained and made a big fuss about it. They demanded a vote (Any "major" league rule changes where there is a gray area require a vote). Not surprisingly, my stance won, a lot of teams felt the same way I did. The outspoken owner, who lost, thinks this should take effect next year and he should have freedom to make his roster as flexible as he pleases. My counter is that the roster requirements are in the rules. It has to stay. The debate would then be what the punishment should be.

My thinking is, because the roster requirements are in the constitution, a roster without a certain position is "invalid" and should suffer similar consequence.

Thoughts?
Fantasy GM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What is the correct punishment?

Postby SAFFcommish » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:17 am

Tough subject I agree but disagree haha. See i run a H2H 5x5 wins per CATs daily moves, but I let owners adjust their rosters accordingly, if they don't like say the matchup of a particular hitter v. pitcher or a pitcher against a hot team like the Rangers you can bench the player and leave the spot open, playing the matchups and making the best weekly production of the players you have. If he is benching players he could be missing out on points regardless but the catch here is your decision as a LEAGUE has been made and agree'd upon.

You made the rule, league agree'd on it overall so its now in play and should be obeyed. The first week is coming to an end, I say let it go by for today because no punishment has been solidified but from week 2 on you hit with a point deduction (some fixed value -5pts. or somthing) for every invalid roster position
SAFFcommish
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Fantasy GM » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:06 pm

SAFFcommish wrote:Tough subject I agree but disagree haha. See i run a H2H 5x5 wins per CATs daily moves, but I let owners adjust their rosters accordingly, if they don't like say the matchup of a particular hitter v. pitcher or a pitcher against a hot team like the Rangers you can bench the player and leave the spot open, playing the matchups and making the best weekly production of the players you have. If he is benching players he could be missing out on points regardless but the catch here is your decision as a LEAGUE has been made and agree'd upon.

You made the rule, league agree'd on it overall so its now in play and should be obeyed. The first week is coming to an end, I say let it go by for today because no punishment has been solidified but from week 2 on you hit with a point deduction (some fixed value -5pts. or somthing) for every invalid roster position

I'll try to clear it up slightly. You can bench a particular player if you don't like the matchup, but you do need one player at each position on the roster itself. That's the rule.

Point deduction penalty is possible. I feel there should be some disciplinary action for it.
Fantasy GM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mkultra » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:42 pm

I would not have even allowed a vote. If your league constitution is clear on it, those are the rules. Doubly so if the site's configuration isn't in conflict- it's not like there's a lack of clarity over how it works, right? These guys just weren't paying attention.

If it's daily lineups, I'd say tough, you score zero. If it's a weekly lineup, I'd be more inclined to adjust the lineups to make them legal (though it's tricky this far into the week, but going forward, yeah).
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby ABA316 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:48 pm

If I understand right (pretty sure I do), you can bench your 3b if you don't like who's pitching against him but you can't not have a 3b eligible player rostered at least.

If so, I would say that that makes sense..and agree with the previous poster about punishment.
ABA316
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Commissioner's Corner