Too early to drop Buchholz? WHIR! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Too early to drop Buchholz? WHIR!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Too early to drop Buchholz? WHIR!

Postby woowoo crew » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:12 pm

Edwin Jackson is sitting out there, with 2 good outings in his first 2 games. Anyone think I'd regret dropping Buchholz in a 10 team league? Good starting pitching is hard to come by in this league, as we carry 9 plus pitchers. I know if I drop Buchholz, someone will probably get him, hoping he makes a turn around. But, if I wait, Jackson won't be there either. My team is in my sig. Thanks!
Last edited by woowoo crew on Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C: Gattis
1B: Abreu
2B: Utley
SS: Dee
3B: Encarnacion
UTIL: Dickerson, Chris Davis
OF: Stanton, Heyward, Polanco
BN: Arenado, Chisenhall, Blackmon, Calhoun
P: Cueto, Strasburg, Cliff Lee, Wood, Latos, Kuechel, Kluber, Arrieta, Ross
RP: Kimbrel, Uehara
woowoo crew
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Too early to drop Buchholz? WHIR!

Postby pizzaboy76 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:46 pm

I liked Jackson more heading into the season, so I would not hesitate to make that move.

Thanks for the help with mine.
pizzaboy76
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 53)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dleoboyd » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:11 pm

pizzaboy76 wrote:I liked Jackson more heading into the season, so I would not hesitate to make that move.

Thanks for the help with mine.

I agree. Edwin has turned a corner and Buchholz still hasn't found his out pitch.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Aristotle
dleoboyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby 910BronxBomber » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:24 pm

At first thought, I would say hold on to Buckholz, as that lineup is stacked and will do him more harm than good in most games. However, when I really start to think about it, I think this move makes perfect sense. Buckholz looked bad today against my Yanks, and as stated in a post above mine, really does not have an out pitch. Jackson seems to have 'turned a corner' but in reality, he struck out 13 rays. Both pitchers will give you bumps in the road, but at least EJ will at least give you Ks.

Please help, viewtopic.php?f=26&t=426829
-910BB
910BronxBomber
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Seanyfever » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:17 pm

I'd have a longer leash for him, but not with Edwin there. Clay was a tad lucky last year was going to fall some.... April is his wrose month though as well. Still like Edwin who is not pitching in the East of AL.

I'm ready for your input!!!!
viewtopic.php?t=426832
Expos... Gone, but not forgotten.
Seanyfever
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Response Team
(Past Year: 249)

Postby woowoo crew » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:10 pm

bump please: Who do you like better for the season: jackson or buchholz please??
woowoo crew
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BUCCOFAN » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:28 pm

I am a big Buchholz fan, and even tho he struggled today, its still to early to dash him. Facing the Rangers and Yanks in your first two starts is no easy assignment, However there are some warning flags with him so far. Seeing that you have 3 closers already, Marmol (STUD) Kimbrel looking like a legit stud every other day, and Valverde (sure he is older but the Tigers will be tops in the AL Central this season, atleast 30 saves there) I would think about dropping Nunez, not that he is a slouch, but in a 10 team league, what do you need 4 closers for? I am sure you can find one on the waiver wire if disaster strikes with the above three. I garentee you, that throughout the season closers will pop up, and with the three you already have, it makes sense.

If Jackson is still sitting there, by all means get him ASAP, I would dump Nunez for sure, and grab Jackson. He seems to have finally figured things out, and I had high hopes on him heading in.

Hope that helps,
BUCCOFAN
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 257)

Postby 910BronxBomber » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:53 pm

BUCCOFAN wrote:I am a big Buchholz fan, and even tho he struggled today, its still to early to dash him. Facing the Rangers and Yanks in your first two starts is no easy assignment, However there are some warning flags with him so far. Seeing that you have 3 closers already, Marmol (STUD) Kimbrel looking like a legit stud every other day, and Valverde (sure he is older but the Tigers will be tops in the AL Central this season, atleast 30 saves there) I would think about dropping Nunez, not that he is a slouch, but in a 10 team league, what do you need 4 closers for? I am sure you can find one on the waiver wire if disaster strikes with the above three. I garentee you, that throughout the season closers will pop up, and with the three you already have, it makes sense.

If Jackson is still sitting there, by all means get him ASAP, I would dump Nunez for sure, and grab Jackson. He seems to have finally figured things out, and I had high hopes on him heading in.

Hope that helps,

I agree 110%. I suppose I should have looked at your team a little more closely. I would drop nunez in a heartbeat, especially already having 3 closers, as BUCCOFAN mentioned.
910BronxBomber
College Coach
College Coach

Postby sigriffey » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:59 pm

You can never have enough good SP ... personally, since your pen is deep without him, I would dump Nunez for Jackson. Buccholz still stands to win a ton of games, and you can scrounge for saves that you lose from Nunez.
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 12)

Postby woowoo crew » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:06 pm

Thanks for the latest input. Now, you've made the decision tougher lol. The thing is, there are NO other closers available, and if I drop Nunez, he will be picked up no doubt. S. Burnett was recently picked up, leaving near to no options. The closest options are Farnsworth and Fuentes. I guess I could try to trade Buchholz and Nunez or Buchholz and a catcher for a better SP. Or just sit and watch someone else get Jackson while Buchholz continues to walk more than he K's. Ugh, this is tough.

Example: the guy who has Josh Johnson and Cole Hamels needs closers. Could I offer Buchholz and Nunez for one of them? I like Johnson better, as I just don't believe Cole is the "ace" Phillies fans think he is. Now, as soon as I say that, watch him no hit my Braves tomorrow. SIGH.
woowoo crew
Minor League Mentor