Advice please.. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Advice please..

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Advice please..

Postby njnets715 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:57 pm

I really like the depth on my team but I always find a few ppl off of the WW who become must owns in leagues..but now i have ppl like ike who i can never play. what you guys think i should do with my team? any suggestions? thanks!
njnets715
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Advice please..

Postby BSbludolf » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:05 am

Without seeing your team, because I don't, I'd say only hold ptichers as bench players. Now this may be fantasy 101 but I see a lot of people making this mistake. No player is good to you unless they can give you stats. Your backup whatever on offense won't givey you anything except on the two-1 days they paly when your normal starters aren't. And based on the nature of this game we all love those players will probably go 0-3 with 2ks or so. Have a plethora of pitchers (mostly RP if your league allows multiple P spots) including ones that you don't mind dropping for the hot/good players that emerge. They're there every year. Once you see these possible studs making moves and don't be afraid to. Hitting and pitching. If you're in an 8-12 team league make 2 for one trades for studs over the course of the season. Spread it out so it's not obvious what you're doing. Good RPs now are worth more now than later, use them as icing whenever possible. I could probably write a book but heck it wouldn't sell.
BSbludolf
College Coach
College Coach

Postby njnets715 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:57 am

I really liked that! but sorry, here is my team..

10 Team ESPN points league, 3 Rp's per team max; as well as 7 starts max per week..

C- Carlos Santana
1B- Mark Teixeira
2B- Brandon Phillips
SS- Stephen Drew
3B- Jose Bautista
OF- Carlos Gonzalez, Nick Markakis, Jose Tabata
Util- Adrian Gonzalez
Bench- Matt Holliday, Aubrey Huff, Ike Davis, Jose Lopez, Angle Pagan, Brandon Belt, Coco Crisp

P- Dany Haren, Cole Hamels, Max Scherzer, Joakim Soria, John Axford, Sean Burnett

Bench- Daniel Hudson, Josh Beckett, Derek Holland, Ian Kennedy, Chris Narveson

For instance, no one needs OF really in my league if I offer like Coco or Markakis, so do I trade Cargo or Holliday for like a top pitcher? And an uprade at RP? Drop Burnett possibly in the hopes Sale takes over Thornton's job? I know its not a definite and a huge risk but if Burnett gets picked up there is also Farnsworth and Storen and whoever takes over Franklin's job..
njnets715
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby njnets715 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:38 am

bump
njnets715
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby RASportsnut » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:17 am

You have Tex and Gonzalez for 1B, and Utility, yet you have 4 1B. Total waste of spots, IMO. Plus you have a large OF contingent also.

Start trying to work deals to upgrade your pitching. With 7 max starts per week, I'd load up on RP, even middle relief for Ks, ERA, WHIP. Guys like Gregerson, Set up guys who pitch an inning or two, get ks and rarely give up runs. If you have to drop players to do so, then do it.

Help with mine? viewtopic.php?t=426801
10 Team H2H Pts Dynasty
Arencibia,Hosmer,Kinsler,Tulo,Bruce,Stubbs,Rasmus,Morrison,Beckham,McGehee,Lind,Lawrie,Zimm (DL),Belt (DL)Trout (ML)

F.Hernandez,Kershaw,Gallardo,Latos,B.Anderson,Scherzer,Marcum,Romero,Bumgarner,Matusz,JZimm,Madson,Matt Moore
RASportsnut
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby njnets715 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:42 am

who should i give up as a result then?
njnets715
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby RASportsnut » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:44 am

Re-looking at your league, it sure limits pitchers, what with having a max 7 starts and 3 RPs. So, it becomes very important to make sure you have good depth at the starting pitcher position, to play the best matchups each week, and relief pitchers who are solid. You have great pitchers in Haren, Hamels, and Scherzer as starters, and Soria as a closer. I don't trust Axford, so perhaps you can use him as trade bait, coupled with a player like Davis to upgrade either a starter or closer.

In a 10 team league, some decent starters should be available, like Britton, McClellan, beachy, etc. You have Holliday coming back in the next week or two, so you have a very good OF. I think Huff and Crisp are expendable, I'd get depth at SP for them.

I guess what I'm advising is to shorten your bench to Holliday, Lopez, Pagan and Belt (if he does well, great trading material). Use Davis for a trade if possible, perhaps Pagan also. With the restrictions on pitching, make sure each and every start and RP works for you.
10 Team H2H Pts Dynasty
Arencibia,Hosmer,Kinsler,Tulo,Bruce,Stubbs,Rasmus,Morrison,Beckham,McGehee,Lind,Lawrie,Zimm (DL),Belt (DL)Trout (ML)

F.Hernandez,Kershaw,Gallardo,Latos,B.Anderson,Scherzer,Marcum,Romero,Bumgarner,Matusz,JZimm,Madson,Matt Moore
RASportsnut
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby njnets715 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:29 pm

thanks!! any other suggestions??
njnets715
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor