How Long to Wait Before dropping SP's??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

How Long to Wait Before dropping SP's???

How Long to Wait Before dropping SP's???

Postby bryanjmcc » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:09 pm

I'm a fantasy football guy, cause of that situation I'm trying baseball..

How many starts would you give a SP before making changes?

Lilly*
Dempster**
Bucholtz*
Beckett*

Shields
Drabek
bryanjmcc
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Football

Re: How Long to Wait Before dropping SP's???

Postby astros1021 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:26 am

Lilly*
Dempster**
Bucholtz*
Beckett*

Shields
Drabek

Lilly: did well until the 5th inning and was pretty consistent last season... I wouldn't panic just yet. Give him at least one more week, unless there's someone on the waiver wire you're dying to pick up.
Dempster: I drafted him too and he had a pretty awful week. I'm giving him one more week and then will cut ties if he doesn't perform. He doesn't play for a very good offensive team anyways so he's expendable in my opinion.
Buchholz: In my opinion Buchholz is one of the best in this group, I owned him last year and he was consistent the entire year. He doesn't draw a lot of attention but he puts numbers up.
Beckett: Has long term potential but isn't as good as years past. I consider him about as worthy as buchholz, so keep him.
Shields: kind of inconsistent as well, and another guy who won't get much run support. He performed well in the first start, but if he went down hill it wouldn't take more than 2 bad starts for me to drop him.
Drabek: really great young arm. I would give him 4 or 5 bad starts before giving up. He has a lot of potential. The only worry is that he might burn out because he threw 140+ innings last year in the minors.
astros1021
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby fantasybaseballking » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:13 am

Pitchers can go through massive hot and cold streaks throughout the entire season. It's only week 2. There are 162 games. Don't think of dropping a SP unless somebody better happens to be around.

Lilly*-- ehhh, I'm worried his best years are behind him. See what he does over the next few starts, but don't necessarily play him until he performs.
Dempster** -- See above, Lilly
Bucholtz*-- He'll be fine, although not quite as good as last season
Beckett*--- He's no longer an ace, and perhaps not even a number 2...but he'll be serviceable and provide k's. It's also likely he'll be hot and cold to extreme degrees, to be careful when to start and when to bench.

Shields-- He's become a little underrated. Nothing great, but nothing special.
Drabek--- As the other poster remarked, a wonderful young prospect. But if he fails miserably over the next few weeks, he'll be sent down anyway.

Which SP are on your waiver wire?
Owner: http://www.thefantasybaseballking.com
Columnist: Fantasy Baseball Dugout, Razzball, Dobber Baseball, FantasyBaseball.com, Pro Fantasy Baseball

Follow me on Twitter: @fantasybking
Like my Facebook Page: http://on.fb.me/l7Tv5L
fantasybaseballking
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bryanjmcc » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:52 pm

I'm giving Beckett and Shields another start, but Lilly and Bucholtz are DROPPED, RP Franklin too. Pitching has kept me in the back of the pack all month. My position guys are rockin' it at the plate :), if I can just get 3 pitchers that won't kill me, I should start catching up.. Thanks for the advice
bryanjmcc
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Beginner's Forum