Jeremy Affeldt? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jeremy Affeldt?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:47 pm

Anonymous wrote:The guy isn't claiming to THROW 95 MPH heat, just saying he can HIT 95 MPH heat.

If you can hit 95 MPH heat, a curve really isn't too much out of reach.

Now, if Affeldt can throw a 95 MPH curve with 5 feet of 12-6 action, you might have something.

95 MPH in what? A batting cage? Yeah of course when you know the balls is going right over the plate every time. I'm 16 and I can hit that crap when its right there every time too.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fantstud » Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:05 pm

This guy has action on every pitch he throws. Yeah 95 is sweet too.

Don't draft him then sucker.

I got him in the 18th round...He completed my rotation.
Fantstud
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Brendo » Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:07 pm

Anonymous wrote:The guy isn't claiming to THROW 95 MPH heat, just saying he can HIT 95 MPH heat.

If you can hit 95 MPH heat, a curve really isn't too much out of reach.

Now, if Affeldt can throw a 95 MPH curve with 5 feet of 12-6 action, you might have something.

thanks guest

are you guests brother?
or sister?

or is it a coincidence that you both have the same name.....guest
Brendo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:32 pm

i picked up kris benson about a week and a half ago in hopes the trade rumors would be true and he'd be shipped to a contender. that hasn't happened yet and with all this talking up on affeldt i was wondering if i should snag him before opening day. should i drop benson and take a chance on affeldt?
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

injury risk

Postby JDogg » Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:38 pm

Just make sure he's not getting blisters. As long as he stays blister free he should make a nice sleeper starter. He's going in the late rounds or undrafted in most rounds. He's got more potential then Wells, but Wells is a proven guy. Hold out for that Yankees trade!
I hate to be a whore, but the world's a pimp - Andre Nicotina
JDogg
College Coach
College Coach

Postby guest » Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:43 pm

hi. i'm guest, but not related to the previous ones.

to counter what they said, i too was able to throw big heat in high school. many people do. the difference between him and me, and all other HS guys that could throw heat, is control and junk. it's easy to throw hard straight. it's difficult to throw 95 and make it move.

to the previous **guest** that said throwing a great curve is easy if you can throw 95 is an idiot. BS. i played against guys that could throw both and you knew what was coming before they actually threw it. they're all UPS drivers or other things.

pitching at affeldt's level is ridiculously hard. he has ace junk and he doesn't telegraph them when he throws it.

don't draft him. leave him for the saavy owner that uses him to complete his pitching staff that beats you.

winning in fantasy baseball, especially in a very competetive 16-team league like i'm in, depends on knowing the value of guys like affeldt.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby ondeckb » Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:46 pm

ajgdrummer7 wrote:i picked up kris benson about a week and a half ago in hopes the trade rumors would be true and he'd be shipped to a contender. that hasn't happened yet and with all this talking up on affeldt i was wondering if i should snag him before opening day. should i drop benson and take a chance on affeldt?

ABSOLUTELY!!!
"Ninety feet between bases is the closest man has ever come to perfection"
ondeckb
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DGroundhog » Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:56 am

guest wrote:to the previous **guest** that said throwing a great curve is easy if you can throw 95 is an idiot. BS.

Do you people even know how to read? The 2nd guest says nothing about a curve being easy to throw if you can throw 95 MPH. Guest #2 is talking about HITTING a ball.

Guest #1 was also talking about HITTING the ball, not pitching.

FANTSTUD makes the assertion that Affeldt is worth owning because he can throw 95 MPH. 'Guest #1' claims he can HIT a ball travelling at 95 MPH.

Ondeckb is the first to mis-interpret what 'Guest 1' says. Brendo and Jack in a Box follow suit.

When 'Guest #2' tries to point out the error, and states if you can hit a 95 MPH, hitting a slower pitch isn't exactly out of the question, even if it is moving a bit more from 12 to 6.

Ajgdrummer7 actually gets it, and adds at 16 years old he too can hit a ball travelling at 95 MPH.

Clearly, the original statement of grabbing Affeldt because he can throw 95 MPH is not solid advice to build on.

JDogg is about the only one making a solid contribution to the thread, pointing out his problems he needs to overcome.

Predicting 18-6 with 200 K's because he can throw 95 MPH is not much help. There is no info there. Just an owner who likely over-values Affeldt.

He's not a bad guy to take a chance on later in a draft, but these guys trying to claim he will be a stud are just blowing gas out of their asses.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Brendo » Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:01 am

to say you "hit 95" can be interpreted 2 ways

obviously 1 is you can hit a pitch thrown 95 miles an hour

the other is that you "hit" 95 on a gun

not that it matters, but i assumed "guest" meant he could throw a ball, not hit one

regardless....Affeldt can do more than throw hard....he was a Beckett-esque prospect under blister issues struck (which is pretty well documented, and JDogg pointed out)

anyway....he's a good pitcher on a pretty good team....if he gets to 35 starts (which is a question mark, I know) I don't think it's unreasonable to figure on 12-14 wins, and hope for 18

just don't pay for it
Brendo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DGroundhog » Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:13 am

'I hit 95 MPH heat' can really only be taken one way, assuming his grammar is correct, which is a pretty large assumption.

Good info. I like owning the young pitchers personally, but my experience is to keep them on a short leash. If you see something shinier and brighter later in the season, dump your struggling young arm.

Affeldt, Lee, Harden, Jackson, several other young unproven arms are good gambles, but you can't really 'expect' an 18W 200K season out of any of them. There is no guarantee any of them is going to be this year's Webb or Willis. There is probably a better chance they are this year's version of Foppert and Ainsworth.

Grab one or two and hope for the best is my advice.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers