Donald Trump for President? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Donald Trump for President?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Donald Trump for President?

Postby wrveres » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:28 am

Why do people think Palin is even running, is this a Jon Stewart thing?
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 761)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:28 am

wrveres wrote:Why do people think Palin is even running, is this a Jon Stewart thing?

Back in November she said she could beat Obama, as I recall. I imagine that's where it comes from.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 361)

Postby wrveres » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:31 am

bigh0rt wrote:
wrveres wrote:Why do people think Palin is even running, is this a Jon Stewart thing?

Back in November she said she could beat Obama, as I recall. I imagine that's where it comes from.
probably taken out of context Im sure.. i'll google it.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 761)

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:43 am

I don't think it's so much that people think she's running as it is that a lot of people want her to run. Not sure what Jon Stewart has to do with it, has he been trying to convince people she's running? I haven't watched him in a few weeks. There's almost zero chance she runs, but that doesn't keep some people from hoping.

Yesterday's speech by Obama was really his opening 2012 campaign speech, and it was brilliant strategy. He proposed enough cuts to bring a lot of moderates concerned about spending back around, while not calling for completely restructuring/dismantling entitlement programs like medicare, medicaid and social security. Republicans will be cutting off their nose to spite their face if they vote on the Ryan budget this week, especially since it's a non-starter in the Senate and would be DOA on the President's desk anyway. That vote will have a similar effect (though certainly not the same scale of impact) on many House Republicans who vote for it as the Healthcare bill had last year on Democrats. It's one thing to talk about cutting spending, it's another to answer to constituents who are worried about the future of their social security and medicare. As jfg said in his last post: even most of those who want to see spending cuts don't want to see them come in areas that affect them personally. The Ryan budget will be an albatross to Republicans in 2012, which is why most of the potential Republican presidential candidates haven't endorced it.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:02 pm

She put her name in the conversation a long time ago:

“A reason to run is if nobody else were to step up with the solutions that are needed to get the economy back on the right track and to be so committed to our national security that they are going to do all that they can, including fighting those on the extreme left who seem to want to dismantle some of our national security tools that we have in place,” Palin said.

Palin has been dancing around the idea for a long time, mostly in an attempt to sell more books, boost ratings on her TV show, etc. It's all part of the machine that makes money for her. She gets about $100K per speaking engagement.

ABC estimates she made $12 million in about nine months.

The fact is she won't run, but by keeping the idea open for debate, she makes more money. Capitalism.

It's working out for Bristol Palin, too. She earned $262K in 2009 from her teen pregnancy foundation. She also landed a gig on Dancing With The Stars, and I think she has a book deal.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:12 pm

Also, I think people are on the right track that Obama is "beatable" in 2012. He failed to follow through on his "hopey/changey" (to quote Sarah Palin) stuff, his transparent government is a brick wall, Guantanamo is still open (and they're doing military tribunals), and overall the country is kinda blah. So he's not untouchable.

The problem is, who's going to beat him? It won't be Palin and/or Trump, because neither are going to run. It won't be Romney, because he was the architect of Obamacare 0.1 Beta. Who are the Republicans going to throw out there to beat this guy? Frankly, I don't see a single "name" that can beat him, unless McCain runs again and chooses a real VP candidate.

I can't see the Tea Party or any other third party coming up with a viable candidate, but a lot can change. That door isn't closed, it's just unlikely.
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jfg » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:28 am

How many times does a person who doesn't affiliate themselves with a party have to be screwed over by a Democrat or a Republican before they stop voting for them? The answer is blowing in the wind. :-D
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 86)

Postby jfg » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:39 am

What boggles my mind the most is not so much the people who still vote Democrat and Republican (even though it does irk me big time) but the people who devote their time and money to continue to put this crap into power. That hard work and money could be spent in thousands... no, millions of better ways. All of those volunteers who could be helping fix the problems they hold dear, or all that money that could be used to build communities but instead they devote their time to some dude with a good smile and nice public speaking skills. It's really pathetic.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 86)

Postby thedude » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:09 am

knapplc wrote:Also, I think people are on the right track that Obama is "beatable" in 2012. He failed to follow through on his "hopey/changey" (to quote Sarah Palin) stuff, his transparent government is a brick wall, Guantanamo is still open (and they're doing military tribunals), and overall the country is kinda blah. So he's not untouchable.

The problem is, who's going to beat him? It won't be Palin and/or Trump, because neither are going to run. It won't be Romney, because he was the architect of Obamacare 0.1 Beta. Who are the Republicans going to throw out there to beat this guy? Frankly, I don't see a single "name" that can beat him, unless McCain runs again and chooses a real VP candidate.

I can't see the Tea Party or any other third party coming up with a viable candidate, but a lot can change. That door isn't closed, it's just unlikely.

Was Obama, in early 2007, considered a likely winner? I believe that Clinton was still considered the favorite for the nomination at this point 4 years ago.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby knapplc » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:46 am

Absolutely he wasn't, which is why I'm asking who it's going to be. Any ideas?
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk