Ike Davis vs. Willie Bloomquist. WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Ike Davis vs. Willie Bloomquist. WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ike Davis vs. Willie Bloomquist. WHIR

Postby baseballcrazy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:40 pm

Hey guys,

10 team 5x5 H2H in year 1 of a 4 year keeper

I need a short-term solution to fill in my roster as I need to replace Dunn as one of my Util. Bloomquist and Davis both are starting off the season pretty strong. Should I ride Bloomquists hot streak for now and worry about a longer-term solution later, or pick up Davis while he's available. I would also like to replace Reynolds but I haven't been able to find a suitor for him as I can't justify just dropping him. Any roster advice would be appreciated as well. Thanks!

I traded away my only for sure pitchers (Josh Johnson and Jered Weaver) for Tulo and Upton in case you were wondering why my pitching was below average. Hoping to catch lightening in a bottle with some of these younger guys...

Other notable FA: Juan Pierre, Carlos Beltran, Alfonso Soriano, Ike Davis, Austin Jackson

C:Brian McCann
1B: Joey Votto
2B: Brandon Phillips
3B: Kevin Youkilis
SS: Troy Tulowitzki
OF: Drew Stubbs, Colby Rasmus, BJ Upton
Util: Mark Reynolds, Adam Dunn
Bench: Stephen Drew

SP: Shaun Marcum, Ryan Dempster
RP: Chris Perez, Matt Thornton
P: Jordan Walden, Matt Garza, Kyle Drabek
Bench: Jordan Zimmerman, Travis Wood, Daniel Hudson, Colby Lewis
DL: David Aardsma
baseballcrazy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Ike Davis vs. Willie Bloomquist. WHIR

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:14 am

Ike Davis is probably a good bet here. You don't look like you're pressed for SB, and I might actually be violently ill if I had to start Bloomquist at UTL. Reynolds strikes me as a streaky hitter - when he goes on a tear, you might find you somehow have more people interested. Check out which teams are light on power and/or 3B - after the first few weeks people start to panic if they have big holes. Not to say you'll be able to pass him off as gold unless you're in a terrible league, but you can get value for him.

I would look to move Stephen Drew. You might be able to pull off the ultra-advanced "buy high, sell low" here. Stephen Drew is a known quantity and he's got upside at SS. Most people know this. If someone has a hole at SS, they might see Stephen Drew as an opportunity to buy low and sell high. This lets you trade an unneeded asset as well as pick up someone who might not just be flukey hot but actually have a different skillset. For example, Edwin Jackson for Stephen Drew. You could come off that trade looking like a genius. Or, you know, not.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 54)

Postby fantasybaseballking » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:00 am

I won't say much, because the other poster made great points, but of those free agents, Ike Davis is definitely your best bet. IMO, he's a top-15 1B now and could be top-10 by the end of the season.

Additionally, and perhaps more importantly, your SP is simply not good enough to win. I realize your strategy here, but perhaps do the following:

1. Trash Bloomquist and pick up Davis.
2. At some point, put together a package of Stephen Drew + another (maybe Davis!) for #1 starter.
3. What are the SP's available on the WW? I can't imagine there aren't some better options out there.

Good luck! ;-D
Owner: http://www.thefantasybaseballking.com
Columnist: Fantasy Baseball Dugout, Razzball, Dobber Baseball, FantasyBaseball.com, Pro Fantasy Baseball

Follow me on Twitter: @fantasybking
Like my Facebook Page: http://on.fb.me/l7Tv5L
fantasybaseballking
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby baseballcrazy » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:46 pm

Thanks for all the advice! You're right, there is some strong pitching on waivers. And of course Ike Davis just got picked up...Notable pitchers on the wire are Edwin Jackson, Jeremy Guthrie, Derek Lowe, Dickey, Britton, Narveson, Shields, etc. Who would you guys recomend i drop from my rotation?
baseballcrazy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby fantasybaseballking » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:57 pm

Thanks for all the advice! You're right, there is some strong pitching on waivers. And of course Ike Davis just got picked up...Notable pitchers on the wire are Edwin Jackson, Jeremy Guthrie, Derek Lowe, Dickey, Britton, Narveson, Shields, etc. Who would you guys recomend i drop from my rotation?

If this was my team, I'd drop Colby Lewis in favor of either Edwin Jackson, RA Rickey, or James Shields. Jackson seems to be primed for a career year, whereas nobody ever seems to be able to hit Dickey. Shields is a dependable starter, but only marginally better than Lewis

Good luck! ;-D
Owner: http://www.thefantasybaseballking.com
Columnist: Fantasy Baseball Dugout, Razzball, Dobber Baseball, FantasyBaseball.com, Pro Fantasy Baseball

Follow me on Twitter: @fantasybking
Like my Facebook Page: http://on.fb.me/l7Tv5L
fantasybaseballking
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions