ADD/Drop - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

ADD/Drop

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

ADD/Drop

Postby chrondo » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:08 pm

Should I drop Peavy and pick up Hellickson off waivers?
chrondo
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: ADD/Drop

Postby Rampage23 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:12 pm

Whats the rest of the team like and who else is available?
Rampage23
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby sinicalypse » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:23 pm

hell yes you should... why are you asking us? peavy had a surgery in the offseason that is new territory for pitchers in baseball, and even before the surgery he wasn't exactly the cy young winner of years back.

hellickson has only made 4 major league starts, but he's shown a repetoire that has put him in a position where many consider him to be the #1 prospect for all of fantasy baseball this year. keep in mind he'll be on an innings limit, so if you can package him with someone like michael pineda and get them out there for a combined ~250-300 IP between them, bam, you've got raw pitching prowess that's likely beyond old/inured peavy.

seriously, hellickson could blow up and have issues... but the guy's got a pedigree, he flat out dominated in his 4 starts last year, and he has enough pitches and raw talent to adjust to the adjustments the league is going to make to him this year. just don't expect 220IP from him... figure he's going to be a 6-7 IP pitcher throughout the season who should give you nice ERA/WHIP/Ks and get enough wins to be valuable... and he's free? go for it man. not to mention, hellickson is currency. in a league where i was desperate for saves i managed to trade him str8up for craig kimbrel before the season started... suffice to say i like that trade. if he gets out of the gate quick with 2-3 OMFG type starts, his value will go up dramatically and you can trade him for a better SP than peavy, should you not desire to spend a year dancing with jeremy hellickson.

so do this in a heartbeat and your fantasy life will be better for it. obviously there's some risk, but i'm telling you, this kid is real good. in my franchise super-keeper deep-as-hell league i've got him going forward into the future, and it hink you should too.... idk if it's a keeper league here, but even for this year, hellickson is a top MLB prospect whose arrow is pointing up and jake peavy is someone who's getting older and more hurt and we're praying that he can come back and be what he was? damn. even if he comes back and pitches 25+ starts, who's to say that you're going to get cy young jake peavy #s?

i know he's a tantalizing name with his pedigree and cy young award and all, but trust me, go get hellickson... your options going forward will be way way better than peavy, barring some miracle.

speaking of the aforementioned superkeeperleague, check out my thread as i attempt to make a move for the long term >> viewtopic.php?f=26&t=426473
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby chrondo » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:18 am

thanks for all the info, you helped me in my decision
chrondo
T-Ball Trainer

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions