Matt Thorton for Phil Hughes? WHIR! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Matt Thorton for Phil Hughes? WHIR!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Matt Thorton for Phil Hughes? WHIR!

Postby OldEnglishZ » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:08 pm

Pitchers
Brett Anderson
Nick Blackburn
Brad Penny
Jeff Francis
Jonathan Papelbon
Chris Perez
Matt Thorton
Jordan Walden
Koji Uehera

Reserves: Andrew Bailey, Brandon Morrow

Should I be getting more for Thorton? If so, what AL starters would you put in an even class?

Only play deep AL-only formats.
OldEnglishZ
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Matt Thorton for Phil Hughes? WHIR!

Postby Rampage23 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:19 pm

As a Yankee fan (who has never liked Hughes) Hughes lack of velocity so far is somewhat worrisome but he should maintain plenty of wins with that offense and Thornton is likely to lose his closer job at some point this year to Sale so I'd probably do it in an attempt to get 15-18 wins.
Rampage23
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby sinicalypse » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:16 pm

I wouldn't do it... aside from the Phil Hughes thing, where it's been stated by the poster above me that he's throwing 88-91 with the fastball and he's typically effective when he throws 93-95 with it, you only have one other "bonafide" closer and let's just say that red sox fans love to call him papelbum these days. ever since vladimir guerrero (VIVE LES EXPOS!) got that series-ending hit off of him in the 2009 playoffs he hasn't been the same guy. so even tho thornton isn't like, divinely sculpted from a stone that was struck by lighting and captioned "CLOSER", you're going to need all of the help you can get at closing... that kid on the angels isn't the closer yet, and i dunno scioscia's history with unproven kids taking over the role, short of k-rod in 2002. uehara hasn't been all that sharp, so while he seems like a likely bet to supplant kevin gregg when kevin gregg pitches like kevin gregg, he isn't bowling the world over... and who knows maybe mike gonzalez gets it going and earns his paycheck? chris perez is a nice quiet lil closer to have... and i'd say out of all of them he's prolly your best pure closer, depending on how thornton deals with the role.

idk the rest of your team or what kind of league you play in, so i'm assuming 5x5... is it roto or h2h? that makes a difference depending on if you're trying to collect saves for the one-week zone or over the long haul of a season... but my gut says no. i don't think phil hughes is anything special and odds are you can go to your FA list / waiver wire and look up a michael pineda, kyle drabek, brandon beachy, mike minor, or someone else who in the short-to-medium term will give you superior production to phil hughes for a price that's far far less than matt thornton.

hey, check out my thread mang... it's a franchise/superkeeper league going forward and i need to know if this bounty for cliff lee is worth it >> viewtopic.php?f=26&t=426473
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby OldEnglishZ » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:46 pm

Sorry about that! 10 team / AL only / Roto / Dynasty

I have Bailey also coming back this month and Walden just got the job today.. I'm leaning towards it since I now have 5 closers and uehera.. I offered :

Thorton and Penny
For
Hughes and Duensing

Only play deep AL-only formats.
OldEnglishZ
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions