Offered Granderson and Gardner for Zimmerman - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Offered Granderson and Gardner for Zimmerman

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Offered Granderson and Gardner for Zimmerman

Postby Rampage23 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:24 pm

I was offered Curtis Granderson and Brett Gardner for Ryan Zimmerman, my first response was to say no pretty quickly, but it does address my need for stolen bases and strengthens a somewhat weak OF. With Gardner getting quite a bit of leadoff work with the Yanks this year his value also goes up since he should scoring over 100 runs this season and stealing 60 or so.I have Alex to ease the hit of Zimmerman but if Zimmerman gets back to his 30 HR ways it's probably not worth it.

10 team HxH 10 category ESPN league

C- Miguel Montero
1B- Albert Pujols
2B- Rickie Weeks
3B- Ryan Zimmerman
SS- Ian Desmond
SS/2B- Tsuyoshi Nishioka
1B/3B- Alex Rodriguez
OF- Shin-Soo Choo
OF- Jay Bruce
OF- Colby Rasmus
OF- Michael Cuddyer
OF- Austin Jackson
UTIL- Adam Lind

Bench- Napoli
Bench- Freddie Freeman
Bench- Andrew Bailey-DL

P- Clayton Kershaw
P- David Price
P- Brett Anderson
P- Ricky Romero
P- Gio Gonzalez
P- Carlos Marmol
P- Josh Beckett
P- Jhoulys Chacin
DL- Mat Latos
Rampage23
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Offered Granderson and Gardner for Zimmerman

Postby javens » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:04 pm

This is a tough one, but I'd have to go with my gut and say stay away. I feel like I always see Granderson going on the DL, and while I do think that Brett Gardner is going to have a great year, as you said, I don't think it's worth giving up Zimmerman for him. Its true that you don't have to much speed, and have a surplus of power, but I don't believe there's such thing as too much power. I would say try picking up Jose Tabata on the Pirates; he's obviously not going to keep up these numbers, but the Pirates have a surprising amount of offense and I think they will let him run wild on the bases.
javens
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 10)

Postby Rampage23 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:13 pm

javens wrote:This is a tough one, but I'd have to go with my gut and say stay away. I feel like I always see Granderson going on the DL, and while I do think that Brett Gardner is going to have a great year, as you said, I don't think it's worth giving up Zimmerman for him. Its true that you don't have to much speed, and have a surplus of power, but I don't believe there's such thing as too much power. I would say try picking up Jose Tabata on the Pirates; he's obviously not going to keep up these numbers, but the Pirates have a surprising amount of offense and I think they will let him run wild on the bases.

Tabata is already on a team and only Nyjer Morgan and Carlos Gomez are available with 25-30 stolen base speed, neither one is even worth considering since Morgan isn't getting much playing time and Gomez can't hit at all.

The tough thing for me about this trade is that I actually think Granderson can have a great season. He hit 24 HRs last year missing a full month of the season and since he made his adjustments with Long last season he has hit lefties much better. The Yankees have made a real effort to steal more bags and be more aggressive on the bath paths this seasons so If he stays healthy he could easily have a 20-20 season and knock on the door of 25-25, possibly even 30-30.

As far as games goes Granderson played 159 in 2006, 158 in 2007, 141 in 2008, 160 in 2009 and 136 last season so I do understand the point about the DL.
Rampage23
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:32 pm

I understand wanting to fill your needs, but you should be able to do better for Zimmerman.
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Rampage23 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:59 pm

avsfan4ever33 wrote:I understand wanting to fill your needs, but you should be able to do better for Zimmerman.

I was thinking of countering with Jason Heyward and Gardner for Zimmerman what do you think? Who would you drop in that scenario, Freeman or Cuddyer? Freeman is struggling pretty bad but his overall potential seems to be at least on par with Cuddyer's, and importing two OF'ers his OF eligibility wouldn't play much into the decision.

The other counter I had in mind was Zimmerman and Beckett for Gardner, Granderson and Mariano Rivera.
Rampage23
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby sinicalypse » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:25 am

I like the concept of trading ZImmerman, who I think is overrated in fantasy baseball, however I'm not too huge on the Granderson and Gardner thing. This season I allowed myself to get clouded by fond memories of early-mid season last year when Brett Gardner was hitting ~.300ish and swiping bags with regularity, forgetting that down the stretch I turned to Juan Pierre and Rajai Davis to help me floss in teh SB dept while Gardner slowed down and ended up hitting .279 in the end.... All in all, I milked Gardner for like ~30-35 steals in most leagues while trying to avoid his swoon.

Even though I went to UIC and Curtis Granderson is the golden standard of UIC athletics alumni, I just can't really get all WOOHA!!! about him. He seems to get hurt sometimes, as it's mentioned, and he's just not a really great contact hitter... yeah he's had a 30/20 season, but he hit .249 during that season. His average has plummeted over the years and he didn't do much for the yankees last year.... He's freshly 30 years old so he's on the tail end of his prime.... I mean hey, you never know, maybe the guy can hit .280 and go 30/30 and you'd be like DOH! WHY DIDNT I DO THAT TRADE?!?! but odds are he won't, so if you're going to milk the irrationally great name of ryan zimmerman, midaswell get something that's more of a sure thing in return.

check out my thread and lemme know what you think!!! >> viewtopic.php?f=26&t=426473
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby TexArcher » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:28 am

I have Zimmerman and I wouldn't touch this trade.

Granderson is one of those guys who could be a very nice fantasy asset if he could just hit .275. But he can't; he hasn't even cracked .250 in three years. And at 29 there's no reason to think he's going to magically put it all together now.

And Gardner will put up big steals and runs, and he's decent in batting average, but he'll do nothing for homers and RBI.

I'm not trading a second round talent for a pair of middle rounders, no way.
TexArcher
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Fpower » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:15 pm

In a two for one fantasy trade, you almost always want to be the guy getting one player in exchange for two. IMO

If you feel like the deal is lopsided in your favor, go ahead and pull the trigger. If the trade merely feels "even", I wouldn't do it.

In other words, if you're in love with both Granderson and Gardner, go ahead and do the deal. I love Granderson, and the fact that I WANT him to be awesome probably leads to me over valuing him.
Fpower
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions