Votto/Cain FOR Cabrera/Wieters/Soria - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Votto/Cain FOR Cabrera/Wieters/Soria

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Votto/Cain FOR Cabrera/Wieters/Soria

Postby emenewe5 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:39 pm

What are your keeper rules?

On the surface, I'm leaning towards no. You could argue that Votto and Miggy are a near wash. Both are Triple Crown threats in their own leagues. Cain has ace-type potential and is very valuable. Long-term, Wieters has far more value than Napoli but for this season, not necessarily. And while I am a huge Soria fan...I generally, HATE to trade for closers. I mean, we're a week into the season and there are already 6-7 CL spots up for grabs (point being that CL's can be had for nothing). Granted, Soria may be the best so it's tempting.

If Wieters fulfilled his Buster Posey-esque potential this season and you can afford to move a SP, I'd prolly do it. But, I'm leaning towards staying with Cain over Soria (which is the key to the deal to me).
emenewe5
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby emenewe5 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:07 pm

I still lean to "no"

Wieters is again, a relative non-factor for me unless you view him as a potential long-term keeper. But, that's not a factor here. Napoli has much better pop...prolly more RBI too. Wieters, I'm guessing has a better BA but kid's BA was awful last year. I see this as a wash at worst, and yet you already have Napoli.

That leaves Votto vs Miggy. Again, a near wash. I give the slight edge to Miggy in most categories but "slight" is the key.

Bottom line - do you want a top-25 pitcher in Cain or a top-5 closer in Soria? How much does this impact your decision? With Valverde in place, you've got a solid CL to anchor the pen. Nunez is a nice pitcher but his frame is destined to break down. Then again, you'll hopefully have Wilson off the DL before that's a concern. If you move Cain, you better hope Hughes and Clay live-up to their potential this year. There are some ?'s on each.

Idk man...follow your gut on this one. Maybe you think Wieters will break-out this year...maybe you're not that high on Cain...maybe you want to add maybe the top CL (my personal #1). I say no but what does your gut say? It's a close enough call to allow that to determine your answer.
emenewe5
College Coach
College Coach

Postby fantasybaseballking » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:46 pm

Agreed on all the above. If it were a keeper, we'd start discussing Wieters' long-term value. Otherwise, Miggy and Votto are a basic wash. You'd simply be trading an ace starter for a stud reliever, and downgrading your pop at catcher...no go, IMO.

Good luck! ;-D
Owner: http://www.thefantasybaseballking.com
Columnist: Fantasy Baseball Dugout, Razzball, Dobber Baseball, FantasyBaseball.com, Pro Fantasy Baseball

Follow me on Twitter: @fantasybking
Like my Facebook Page: http://on.fb.me/l7Tv5L
fantasybaseballking
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions