An Utley situation - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

An Utley situation

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

An Utley situation

Postby RDD15 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:44 am

20 team league, H2H roto. Deep benches and 3 DL spots. 20 keepers per team each year, no restrictions or penalties for keeping a guy. MUST keep 20, no less.

We got a new owner the day before the season started, and the very first move he makes is to cut Chase Utley. He had DL spots open, and didn't even fill his 2 open roster spots when FAAB ran on Saturday.

So, 2 questions. First, should the commish step in and somehow address the situation with an inexperienced owner dropping his best player in a 20 team, 20 player keeper? If yes, then how should he handle it?

Second, assuming Utley is available in FAAB, with a $100 budget to last the season, how much is too much to bid on him? Keep in mind that even if he sits all season with the injury, he will replace a guy like Iannetta or Inge or something similar on some team's keeper list. The keepers get pretty ugly in this league.

Thanks, and WHIR.
RDD15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: An Utley situation

Postby Kafka » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:50 am

It's the owner's fault- he should have read the league rules, so Utley should be a FA to add (unless he's whining about his big mistake and this was a mistake...maybe have mercy)

how much is too much- difficult question- dunno your 2B-player but maybe $25-35 :-o
It would be nice to know what you did with our advice - so please write a short reply
Kafka
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RDD15 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:01 pm

Wil Rhymes is my current 2b man. My weakest position by far.

Also, keep in mind that with over 500 players being owned, including most top prospects, no one else that comes close to Utley's value is going to hit the wire this season. I would think that 25-35 would have no chance to win him in FAAB. Just to put it in perspective, the top FA hitters are guys like Bloomquist and Hannahan, the best pitchers are guys like Neshek. There isn't much out there over the course of a season to spend the FAAB on.
RDD15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby Kafka » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:58 pm

RDD15 wrote:Wil Rhymes is my current 2b man. My weakest position by far.

Also, keep in mind that with over 500 players being owned, including most top prospects, no one else that comes close to Utley's value is going to hit the wire this season. I would think that 25-35 would have no chance to win him in FAAB. Just to put it in perspective, the top FA hitters are guys like Bloomquist and Hannahan, the best pitchers are guys like Neshek. There isn't much out there over the course of a season to spend the FAAB on.

who the frick is Rhymes!?

Okay, with 500 players owned you should bid to your pain barrier....going $60-70 but it's risky with his injury history (maybe comeback after all-star break) otherwise you own W.Rhymes...
It would be nice to know what you did with our advice - so please write a short reply
Kafka
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Seanyfever » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:06 pm

While I believe owners should be accountable for their own actions....

New manager... Knowledge of league DL rules.... I think this affects integrity of league.... and perhaps overall winner.

I'd drop a hint and fix it up. If anything, drop the manager a hint that if he feels Utley has not value- perhaps won't return... Encourage him to trade him for something.

This blunder could affect your league enjoyment this year.
Expos... Gone, but not forgotten.
Seanyfever
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Response Team
(Past Year: 289)

Postby RDD15 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:05 pm

Well, I did bring it up to the commish, who opted to do nothing. So I proceeded to get Utley with a $91 bid. It was too high looking back, as the #2 bid was only $55. Still, I dont regret the bid. I felt that with a talent like that in a deep keeper league on the wire, I had to go get him.
RDD15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions