Cameron Maybin? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cameron Maybin?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cameron Maybin?

Postby Guttenburg » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:54 pm

Any chance this could be the waiver wire gem everybody is scrambling for this year? It's early but it sure seems like he is responding well in San Diego.
Guttenburg
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Cameron Maybin?

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:58 pm

He was absolutely horrendous last year, and both his XBH so far have been against relievers who usually take a little longer then SP to get into regular season form.

He does have untapped speed potential (and is still only 24), but I wouldn't be killing myself to pick him up.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 16)

Postby k.k. » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:06 am

I'm holding off on adding Maybin for now, but he's on my watch list big time. He killed his value last year, but looks to rebound. Off to a great start through 2 games.
~
k.k.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 7)

Postby Niffoc4 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:21 am

I think he could be great in NL-Only leagues... I'm hesitant to recommend him in mixed leagues
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby KCollins1304 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:10 am

I think he's worth taking a flyer on considering his tools and potential, but I wouldn't drop anyone that you really liked before the season just because they haven't hit/pitched well in the first 2 games.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby J35J » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:51 am

Not really...he's still just got limited power and hitting in San Diego just makes it worse. "If" he can hit his way out of a paper sack he might get you a decent number of steals but I'm not seeing the power potential yet. If you are in deep leagues or have deep benches then he may be worth a look but like KC said, don't drop anyone you had ranked ahead of him before the season started.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)

Postby rotoquest » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:28 pm

It's a week later now and his stats are:
AB-29
RUNS-4
HR-2
RBI-4
SB-3
BA-.276

Though it is a small sample, If he stays at that .276 avg, I think he has a chance to have a breakout year. Despite his problems in florida, his minor league numbers suggest high ceiling. How long do you wait to pick him up?
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 193)

Postby J35J » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:17 pm

rotoquest wrote:It's a week later now and his stats are:
AB-29
RUNS-4
HR-2
RBI-4
SB-3
BA-.276

Though it is a small sample, If he stays at that .276 avg, I think he has a chance to have a breakout year. Despite his problems in florida, his minor league numbers suggest high ceiling. How long do you wait to pick him up?

Depends on your team and your bench. You ALWAYS try to pick up players who are playing well, but if they are more likely to be flashes in the pan then you can't just go dropping legit players, or more legit players for them. If you have deep benches then he should already be on your team. If you have a FA type of guy on your bench already then he should already be on your team. Just depends...any hot player is worthy of being picked up, just depends on who you will be dropping to pick him up.

This is why having a bench spot devoted to "hot" players isn't a bad idea because there are always hot players you can plug in for a week or three at a time.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:06 pm

I'm buying Cameron Maybin a little bit. He is just 24. Even playing half his games in Petco, if the light goes on a 12/30 season should be within reach. Of course he has to keep hitting, but you aren't going to find power/speed upside from a player like Maybin just anywhere. I think he's in the Michael Brantley/Dexter Fowler echelon of fantasy player, so if that plays in your league, by all means. I think I might take Maybin over those other two at the moment, FWIW.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby TexasStampede » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:43 pm

Well he's hit leadoff the last three games and should stay there since the rest of the lineup is awful. The question becomes how often Black will green light him to steal and will those numbers along with hrs be enough to offset the lack of runs, rbis and k's? Tough call - but right now I'm liking him a little more than Fowler, Bourjos, etc.
TexasStampede
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers