Dynasty League upgrade: 1B? OF? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Dynasty League upgrade: 1B? OF?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dynasty League upgrade: 1B? OF?

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:47 pm

This is a 20-team dynasty league with 25-man rosters, so as you can imagine this is a very deep league. It's H2H and we go 6x6 with OPS and holds at the extra categories. Considering the league, I've got a pretty good team with some young talent (very important in a dynasty). I've got a hole at 1B though as neither Trumbo or Wallace really excites me. Here's the team:

C - Matt Wieters
1B - Mark Trumbo
2B - Ian Kinsler
3B - Mark Reynolds
SS - Starlin Castro
OF - Ichiro Suzuki
OF - Jay Bruce
OF - Justin Upton
UTL - Chase Headley
BN - Brett Wallace
BN - Wil Myers
BN - Jesus Montero
DL - Kyle Blanks

SP - Jeremy Hellickson
SP - Rick Porcello
SP - Hiroki Kuroda
SP - Andrew Cashner
SP - Yovani Gallardo
SP - Jordan Zimmermann
RP - Nick Masset
RP - Chris Pérez
RP - Carlos Mármol
RP - Joe Nathan
RP - Huston Street
BN - Jenrry Mejía
BN - Julio Teherán
DL - Jake Peavy

As you can see, this is a pretty good team for a 20-team dynasty. But 1B and UTL are definitely lacking. Montero is probably destined for one of those spots, but I'd like to solidify my hitting.

The guys I'd like to move are Ichiro, Marmol, and Headley and possibly Street. Marmol especially should have a lot of value considering that K potential. My question: who would be a good target for a package of these players? Adam Dunn strikes me as a decent possibility but I'd like more ideas. Remember this is a dynasty league.

WHIR, of course.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 33)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Dynasty League upgrade: 1B? OF?

Postby sigriffey » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:58 pm

Nice team for sure. Is it just me, though, or is your SP perhaps in need of one more ace more than your utility needing help? I am not in a dynasty league, so forgive the noob question.

I would say Ichiro and Marmol for Dunn and a SP like Buchholz or maybe even a Haren could be a good call. I realize Haren could be a stretch ... but what I mean to say is sort of an A- level ace.

Other 1B to consider: Billy Butler, Konerko (could come cheap in this kind of a league, letting you get a better young SP in the deal), and a buy-low on Kendrys Morales.
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 12)

Postby erjohnson1 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:04 pm

Very solid for a 20 man league. Since its a dynasty and you're looking for a good bat I'd think about going for Jason Heyward. Great potential for a breakout year and great guy for a dynasty.
erjohnson1
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 37)

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:18 pm

I could definitely use an A- level ace pitcher. Buccholz would be a good target except I traded him last year for Starlin Castro.

Heyward, it goes without saying, isn't a realistic target. In a dynasty league you'd have to pry him away from his owner with the Jaws of Life. I mean if I were a Heyward owner in a dynasty I would laugh off an Ichiro/Marmol/Street offer for Heyward.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 33)

Postby DaveG1079 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:12 am

Hey Lane.

I used fantistics for my draft/auction and it really liked Adrian Gonzalez. I know he's one of the top tier so realisitcally you may not be able to do that with your trade bait.

If you really want to get rid of Marmol (I disagree), him and Ichiro is a good option to get an upper tier player like Gonzalez.

Taking a flier on Morneau might not be bad. People are low on him after last year and his injury.
Konerko might be good. Chicago is on fire hitting wise, and you have enough speed and average to cover him (except Mark Reynolds).
Billy Butler is solid. I'm assuming someone like Belt or Ike Davis may be tough to come by in a keeper league. Also what about Kila?
DaveG1079
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Jungy69 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:47 am

I would definitely agree with some of the above posters, Ichiro and a closer would be fine choices to upgrade to get a improved SP or a good 1B.
Morneau seems like an excellent fit as top notch 1B in deep leagues as that don't come cheap. Maybe BJ upton, Cruz, or Ellsbury for OF. Matt Cain, Verlander, Greinke, as examples any proven No.2 with young upside would be a nice target.

Wish I could offer more advice but I think you should chat up some GMS and see what you can fetch out there.

Thanks for replying to my thread. ;-D
Isnt my avatar just the cutest? ^-^
Jungy69
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby blinkuldhc » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:39 am

Very, very nice team considering the depth of your league.

There are 750 total players in the MLB, and your league has 500 of them on rosters, so sick (as in awesomely competitive).

Your OF is very solid, and I agree that 1B could improve. I'm more risk-taking, so I'd probably trade Ichiro for some younger SP and/or 1B, UTIL help.

The thing about OF is that there are ostensibly 90 MLB starting OFs (as opposed to only 30 MLB starting 1Bs), which allows a little more room for you to get lucky with shrewd WW moves. There are 30 OFs who are starting in MLB but are NOT starting in your league; there are presumably 10 1B who are starting in the MLB but are not starting on a team in your league. That's my long way of saying that I'd prefer to pick up a solid 1B and perhaps look for WW OF than the other way around.

Even though your league is deep, you ought to have a better 1B. First basemen ranked in the 18-23 range are usually guys like LaRoche, Derrek Lee, C. Lee, maybe Sanchez, Smoak; your 1B are presently well below those guys.

Theoretically, if you had the 20th best (i.e., the worst) 1B in your league, you should have someone like LaRoche... so a guy like Trumbo is theoretically worse than the average last-ranked 1B in your league. Of course, by focusing on other positions you also are well-ahead of league averages, like at OF. You don't want to fall too far behind 1B production as they are obviously the most productive hitters (the difference in stats between the 20th and 1st rated catchers is smaller than between the 20th and 1st rated 1B).

With Ichiro, I'd target Kila Ka'aihue, Gaby Sanchez, Brandon Belt, et al. I think something like Ichiro for Kila/Tabata/Gregerson would be reasonable, though I have no clue what trade values are like for a league like yours.
Please rate my team, I've punted pitching (Pujols, Hanley Ramirez, Kemp, McCutch, Beltre, and MORE!):
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=426088
blinkuldhc
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team