Youkilis for Manny, Ortiz, Belt? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Youkilis for Manny, Ortiz, Belt?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Youkilis for Manny, Ortiz, Belt?

Postby danvan18 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:20 am

im in a 10 team mixed keeper league, and was offered a chance to score Manny Ramirez ($1), David Ortiz ($1) and Brandon Belt ($3) for Kevin Youkilis ($29).

its a gamble since the season is 2 days old, but i wouldnt keep Youk, and Manny/Ortiz would make up for the lost power. Belt could be a keeper for years to come at 3 bucks. any thoughts?

WHIR
C Posey
1B Fielder
2B Pedroia
SS Scutaro
3B Headley
OF Kemp
OF McCutchen
OF A.Gonzalez
UT Pagan
BN Bautista Victorino Utley Machado Stubbs W.Chen Marcum J.Garcia

SP Bumgarner Hellickson Scherzer Ed.Jackson Lynn

RP Papelbon Putz Street
danvan18
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Youkilis for Manny, Ortiz, Belt?

Postby goldy5000 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:54 am

I have belt this year in a none keeper and he is giving me tons of points that sucks that you have to trade for him I got him on the wire ;-D pick him up. congrats on the title
Born in Seattle
goldy5000 Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby speeds102 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:03 am

i think manny will have a good year imo. go for it
Dwight Schrute: Michael, you forgot to mention the herpes.
Michael Scott: It didn't come out organically.
speeds102
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Kafka » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:37 am

I would stick to Youk - he'll be 1B/3B by 2nd-3rd week and gives you fine numbers right away- with Manny and Ortiz you have two problems in your lineup 1)one player can leave you with month of frustrations and zero output and 2) the other player is a moving time-bomb. Okay, both players can give you a big upside but 1)maybe too late and 2)on what costs...

B.Belt is a high-upside player but with no proven records or a secure job - he could be sent back to the minors...
Kafka
College Coach
College Coach

Postby smoovethug » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:55 am

I'd stay put. Belt would make a fine keeper and at a nice value, but if you're going to be selling Youk I think you could shoot higher.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby pungent » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:23 am

Don't do this. Giving up too much for Belt, and this is really what you're trading for. Like someone else said, Ortiz could slump for an entire month and Manny just does whatever the hell he wants. Think of it this way, Youk and the players you have to drop will probably still out produce Belt, Ortiz, and Manny.

Go for another option other than Ortiz and Manny, surely he can offer a 2 for 1 rather than a 3 to 1.

viewtopic.php?t=426134
pungent
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby danvan18 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:35 pm

ok, so i ended up accepting the deal, and heres why...

I decided that my team was already very keeper friendly over "win now" as it was. Manny and Ortiz can make up for losing Youk in the HR/RBI/R area, and Manny should hit for a high avg. Ortiz might out homer Youk by a little, and Manny will hit at least 20. i think hes in for a surprisingly good season in TB. and despite that swap, im getting Belt on top of it all.

watching Belt this ST and the first couple games against Kershaw/Billingsley, i saw something rare. not just because im a Giants fan, but i think this guy is special. something about him isnt normal. normal prospects dont make the opening day roster in their 2nd year of pro baseball and skipping AAA. And for those who saw his AB's, they were fantastic. he took 29 pitches the first 4 AB's of his career. reached base twice on Kershaw, who was dominating all day. then last night hits a bomb to dead center for a 3 run shot.

At 3 bucks in a keeper league, i really wanted to get ahold of him now before he looks like the next superstar hitter for dirt cheap. it cost me Youk, but he was a one year player anyways, and i replaced most of his production with Manny/Ortiz. plus whatever production i get from Belt this year. (Brian Sabean also stated that Belt was up for good).
C Posey
1B Fielder
2B Pedroia
SS Scutaro
3B Headley
OF Kemp
OF McCutchen
OF A.Gonzalez
UT Pagan

RP Papelbon Putz Street
danvan18
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Kafka » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:26 pm

Belt didn't skip AAA (he made 13 games)

Still more risk involved in Manny and Ortiz...(but at least he hits his 1st HR)

why is Youk a one year player...?

and I still think you overpaid...but it's your team :*)
It would be nice to know what you did with our advice - so please write a short reply
Kafka
College Coach
College Coach

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:34 pm

Yeah, do what you want, but Ortiz/Manny don't replace Youk. You're taking up two roster spots, and that's huge. A 3B eligible Youk is really, really valuable. Belt might be special, but Youkilis already is. I think you overpaid.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 33)

Postby danvan18 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:06 pm

lane_anasazi2 wrote:Yeah, do what you want, but Ortiz/Manny don't replace Youk. You're taking up two roster spots, and that's huge. A 3B eligible Youk is really, really valuable. Belt might be special, but Youkilis already is. I think you overpaid.

Belt costs 3 bucks. Youk is 29. Our keepers are limited, and go up 3 bucks every year.

Youk is also injury prone. I could have a budding star 1B next year for 6 bucks instead of 140 games of youk and then throwing him back.
C Posey
1B Fielder
2B Pedroia
SS Scutaro
3B Headley
OF Kemp
OF McCutchen
OF A.Gonzalez
UT Pagan

RP Papelbon Putz Street