Trade Vetoes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Trade Vetoes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade Vetoes

Postby ezvstheworld » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:53 pm

Hi,

I've been involved on discussions of use of trade vetoes within my league recently. It is quite a touchy subject. I just want to get the views of a wider audience on this. I know most posts I've seen here are of the opinion that they should only be used where there is cheating, collusion or a mass dumping of talent, but I'd be really interested in hearing from guys who routinely cast vetoes too.

Are people comfortable with Commish only vetoing, or do they feel they don't get enough say? If you have a view on what the ideal setup is then please post.

Thanks,

Simon
ezvstheworld
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trade Vetoes

Postby bigmck » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:17 pm

I don't like Commish Only Vetos. They can never be equal to everyone. If you are going to have any type of Veto, it should be a league vote. == I ran a single season Draft League for 20 years. If a trade was made, it was immediately final. There was an opportunigy for someone to request a vote within 48 hours if it was deemed unequal. In 20 years that never happended. == In my other league that is an Auction League. We have an inseason salary cap of $290. Any trade can be made as long as an Owners total team salary does not exceed $290. There is no provision for a veto. The salary cap keeps dump trades from happening. == You spoke about collusion on trades. If you have the right guys in your league, that is not a problem. If you get a bunch of punks, that is when the collusion starts.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 58)

Postby Oatsdad » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:19 am

I'm running my first commish league this year, and I decided to retain veto power myself. Is that "fair"? Maybe not, but there are too many leagues in which no trades occur because too many players think trades must be perfectly equal so they veto everything. That's a mess, and I think the best way to circumvent it is to go commish veto.

I told the other players that they can let me know if they think I should veto a trade and there'll still be a two-day period between trade and it going through. I'm especially sensitive to trades in which I'm involved - if I hear from enough people that they don't like those trades, I'd veto myself!

League votes just go into the toilet too much of the time...
Oatsdad
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ezvstheworld » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:48 pm

Thanks for the input. I've played in both veto and non-veto leagues. I personally believe that as long you can trust your Commish, then no voting should be needed. Just a way of notifying him if you have concerns over a trade.

For me, trading is probably the most enjoyable part of the game, so I don't like points that inhibit trading. Does anyone out there utilise tactical vetoing, or regularly feel that a veto is justified?
ezvstheworld
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:08 am

League voting is, in my opinion, akin to training wheels. I suppose in a redraft you can justify it, but in any kind of keeper league, managers are going to simply value players differently looking at their team now, and in the future. Multiple times in a dynasty league I've seen people arguing over a trade with half arguing it was unbalanced for one side, and the other half arguing it was unbalanced from the other. Everyone values players differently.

The only reason to have a veto system in place at all is that sometimes collusion does happen. It's hard to judge on an individual basis but if you're in a long running league you can spot patterns. If two teams only trade with each other, that's a red flag. People might know each other in real life with one team being a "farm team" so to speak, trading away its best players to the "MLB" team and going for the championship. That kind of thing is pretty slimy and you need a system to combat it, which is why you have comish veto. A smart comish will be on top of it, and if they have a gut feeling about a trade can talk to each owner individually about it.

Point of the point, a manager should never have to explain the reason he's doing a trade to the league at large. It's insulting.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 54)

Return to Commissioner's Corner