Mantei's got fingernail problems again... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mantei's got fingernail problems again...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mantei's got fingernail problems again...

Postby Wilma_J » Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:49 pm

Should I grab Valverde? He's on the WW for now.
Wilma_J
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:15 pm

i'm wondering if i should do the same thing
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GSes » Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:51 pm

The front page of the DBacks wbsite is about Mantei's problem.....It basicslly says time is running out for Mantei to get healthy b4 the seasob starts and that the staff has tried everything.

It looks to me like Mantei is going to start the season on the DL, and Valverde will start the year closing. I don't know if I would pick Valverde up just yet, unless you have room. The only problem is just like last season, valverde will be lights out then Mantei will come back and Arizona will hand him his job back.

Assuming Valverde starts the season as Dbacks closer, he should rack up some saves b4 mantei gets back.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby canibus » Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:16 pm

wow, hadn't heard about this

I picked Valverde late in the draft as Mantei-insurance, since I have to set my lineup today should I plug Valverde in or is there a chance Mantei will be okay for season opener? Doesn't look good... :-o
canibus Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby d18Mike » Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:16 pm

I picked Valverde up last week on speculation that he WILL end up as the D'Backs closer one way or the other other: a) Mantei will be hurt constantly (as usual), or b) Mantei will be traded, which has been anticipated for about a year now.

If neither of these happen he will be of equal value to Marte, who for some reason is selling at a much higher premium . Marte went in the 19th round in our draft. Valverde remained undrafted
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby eftda » Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:23 pm

Where did you hear this? This is all that rototimes has:

Mar. 20
Matt Mantei reported no problems with his cracked fingernail after throwing 22 pitches in an exhibition game yesterday, according to the Arizona Republic.

Mar. 19
Matt Mantei is still having problems with cracked fingernails, according to the Arizona Republic. His status is completely up in the air at this point and not pitching this spring isn't helping his preparation for the season. "It's amazing how much something like this bothers you when you throw a ball," Mantei said. "And it's just a freaking torn nail. I feel like a sissy, you know?"

Mar. 5
Matt Mantei has been nursing a split fingernail on his pitching hand recently, according to the Arizona Republic. He was able to throw for about 15 minutes yesterday, though there was blood on his finger. "Paper cut," Mantei said. "I think I did it opening up some fan mail."
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Xtreemes » Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:27 pm

Rotoworld

March28

Matt Mantei retore his index and middle fingernails while pitching two-thirds of an inning Saturday.
"It’s frustrating because I can’t finish the ball," he said after walking three and allowing two hits. "It’s getting too close (to the season) now. I’ve got to figure something out." Mantei hasn't been effective at all because of his finger problems, so unless he gets things turned around quickly, Jose Valverde could start the season as Arizona's closer.
Xtreemes

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby eftda » Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:30 pm

well... If you need a closer, then pick Jose Valverde... too bad :-?
i was hoping to get Valverde in April, when no one was watching Mantie.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby warrick95 » Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:16 pm

Hmm...interesting. The D-Backs cannot afford to keep Mantei on the bench if he's healthy, due to that contract. It cannot be justified. I am very tempted to drop Billy Koch for Valverde, though. However, I still have hope for Koch...no clue why, though.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:36 pm

GRAB JOSE!

He WILL be an elite closer very soon. It may even start this year.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers